Spyder Garage

Question 2012 RT SE5...replace, re-upholster, or customer cover for ripped seat?

The standard OEM seat on my 2012 RT has developed rips and tears in several places, probably due to its age, and the fact that it lives outdoors year round. My question is whether I should replace the seat, get it re-upholstered, or find a seat cover for it? There's nothing structurally wrong with the seat or the filling, but the leather has split and ripped, and will keep doing that until I find a solution.

I tried applying some leather "patches" over the rips, but they're really ugly. I could go to a local guy who re-covers a lot of motorcycle seats. I could try to find a reasonably priced replacement seat...or I could try to find a snug fitting custom seat cover (if there is such a thing). What do you guys think?

Spyder Garage

Take it to you local guy and while he has it have him put motorcycledave.com's gel pads in it for you and your passenger. You will be very happy with your new "custom" seat and still have money in your pocket.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Take it to a furniture upholstery shop. They are much more reasonably priced than motorcycle specialty shops and do just as good of work. While you are visiting with them, ask if they can do the seat with a material called illusion leather. It is the modern version of Naugahyde that does not succumb to the elements like leather. It is soft, pliable and durable.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Take it to a furniture upholstery shop. They are much more reasonably priced than motorcycle specialty shops and do just as good of work. While you are visiting with them, ask if they can do the seat with a material called illusion leather. It is the modern version of Naugahyde that does not succumb to the elements like leather. It is soft, pliable and durable.
    Sounds like a good idea! The covering has to be tough. and stitched with strong thread/cord/whatever. The illusion leather would be an ideal replacement, especially if it would stand up to the weather. Here in NC we don't get horrible winters, but we get plenty of summer heat, and a lot of rain. I'll check out some local furniture guys, and see what they can do. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Take it to you local guy and while he has it have him put motorcycledave.com's gel pads in it for you and your passenger. You will be very happy with your new "custom" seat and still have money in your pocket.
    I'll check out the gel pads for sure. My seat is totally comfortable now, but hey, I'm always up for an improvement. :-) Thanks!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    I'll check out the gel pads for sure. My seat is totally comfortable now, but hey, I'm always up for an improvement. :-) Thanks!
    If you decide to get the GEL pad, to save money remove the cover ( that's the easy part ) and follow the directions for cutting a space on your seat ….. put the GEL pasd in and give it to the folks who will re-staple it …… Mike