Thread: DPS motor

Spyder Garage

Default DPS motor

Has anyone ever had the dynamic power steering motor go out? I have a 2011 RT SM5. Went for a ride to the grave yard today to talk to my dad since its fathers day and the DPS code showed up before I got there. Its not a bad road its paved and a couple of sweeping curves. Not a really nice road to lean or hang off the bike. I have checked the 40 amp fuse under the seat and its good. I was just wondering if anyone else has had the motor go out on theirs. It has just over 44,000 miles on it. And help wold be grateful.

Spyder Garage

Before you do anything expensive, clean the battery terminals and main ground. That saved me a couple of times.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I've had the DPS code. Under the front of the bike is a connector to the steering. The cables are short and it's all a bit tight and it's subject to road debris.
    Separating the connector and generally cleaning it and re-aligning it did the trick for me. Deffo worth a try.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderlass View Post
    I've had the DPS code. Under the front of the bike is a connector to the steering. The cables are short and it's all a bit tight and it's subject to road debris.
    Separating the connector and generally cleaning it and re-aligning it did the trick for me. Deffo worth a try.
    thanks right now anything is worth a try. Maybe if I can jack it up and take them apart I can spray them with contact cleaner. Both the plugs look like the female part is turned up so trash may be has gotten down in the plugs and they need a good cleaning. I'll try cleaning the battery post also like grandpot suggest.

Spyder Garage

You say you got a DPS code. Do you really mean a DPs warning on the screen? If you did retrieve the code. What was it? There are about a dozen possible codes with different causes.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

Did the warning disappear on restarting the spyder...? If it did..did it come back after ryding a bit...? Have you noticed any heaviness in the steering/handling...?Great advise above, there were some issues back then with the DPS but most were taken care of. It is a rather expensive unit so do check all the things mentioned above. Let us know what you find....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Did the warning disappear on restarting the spyder...? If it did..did it come back after ryding a bit...? Have you noticed any heaviness in the steering/handling...?Great advise above, there were some issues back then with the DPS but most were taken care of. It is a rather expensive unit so do check all the things mentioned above. Let us know what you find....
    ….. Also I have read here that the DPS doesn't kick in until you are moving ( ie increase in RPM's ) …. I did a test on my 14 RT concerning this …. When I park in my garage on a smooth concrete floor and start to push the Spyder out going backwards while turning the handlebars it makes a big difference if the motor is running or not running. When it's not running it's a lot harder to turn then when the motor is running and this is at normal Idle rpm's ….. try this yourself ….. It may help you decide if the DPS is working as it should ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Start with checking your battery, the DPS is a huge draw on the battery so if your battery isn’t operating at full capacity it could cause you to get DPS errors.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You say you got a DPS code. Do you really mean a DPs warning on the screen? If you did retrieve the code. What was it? There are about a dozen possible codes with different causes.
    yes my bad, it was the DPS warning screen. I turned it off for about 10 minutes. When I turned the key back on it was out till I started the bike, then it would flash on and off all the way home. At first the big screen come on saying check dps then the small one at the bottom of the dash kept flashing on and off. I tried again when I got her in the garage and the same thing would happen. Hope this helps better than the code error did. All help is very welcome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    yes it did all you asked. It was driving normal till I almost got to the grave yard then the screen started flashing about a quarter mile before I arrived there. It done fine till I turned it off and got ready to leave then it was hard to steer. I'll check all the things everyone else said. It did have a couple or three times it acted like didn't want to start. Thanks for the help.

Spyder Garage

Another sucker for DPS issues, 2012 RT SE5, just under 3K miles... Codes 521-522.. A littles stiff turning till I pick up speed can no longer feel the slight toughness.... Replaced batt, added star washers between Cable, bolt, Batt post... still have same codes.. Starts and rides fine until slow speed as when I feel a little stiffness in the steering... pulled fuses/relays..
    Will try the disconnect and clean connections. $2K is plenty to pay. Wonder what it will cost here in Hawaii... There is a Polaris dealer that will work on it... Then there is a CanAm Spyder rental place that caters to tourists... Has two Spyders.. Was told he is BRP certified.. this is not a dealer. There are no dealers in Hawaii.. This guy works out of his Garage... Hope he can at least do the buds.... Will keep you posted...
    2012 RTS SE5 , Spider Web Brake pedal Orbital blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CADRE View Post
    Another sucker for DPS issues, 2012 RT SE5, just under 3K miles... Codes 521-522.. A littles stiff turning till I pick up speed can no longer feel the slight toughness.... Replaced batt, added star washers between Cable, bolt, Batt post... still have same codes.. Starts and rides fine until slow speed as when I feel a little stiffness in the steering... pulled fuses/relays..
    Will try the disconnect and clean connections. $2K is plenty to pay. Wonder what it will cost here in Hawaii... There is a Polaris dealer that will work on it... Then there is a CanAm Spyder rental place that caters to tourists... Has two Spyders.. Was told he is BRP certified.. this is not a dealer. There are no dealers in Hawaii.. This guy works out of his Garage... Hope he can at least do the buds.... Will keep you posted...
    I have no idea what you are talking about " Codes 521-522 " What is that? Fault codes are 5 digit alphanumeric. Please post the fault codes and we will help in decoding it for you.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Yup, Note to self, wear my glasses when typing... that would be code 551 and 552. Which both seem to point to the Torque converter...
    551 Torque sensor open, damaged DPS
    552 Torque sensor shorted to GND,. damaged DPS
    Shop manual suggestion: pass goal and go straight to buying another... am wondering is it possible to by-pass this code? For me, does not really matter if the DPS works or not... Seeing that idiot light (being the idiot to see it) disturbs plenty...

Spyder Garage

Yup, Note to self, wear my glasses when typing... that would be code 551 and 552. Which both seem to point to the Torque converter...
    551 Torque sensor open, damaged DPS
    552 Torque sensor shorted to GND,. damaged DPS
    Shop manual suggestion: pass goal and go straight to buying another... am wondering is it possible to by-pass this code? For me, does not really matter if the DPS works or not... Seeing that idiot light (being the idiot to see it) disturbs plenty...
    Why do you have to make it so hard for us to help. So I will guess you are talking about P0551 and P0552. If you are. The DPS unit is junk. There is no fix except to replace with a new one. Sorry.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Yup, that’s my thought when reading the shop manual.. Cannot imagine what the cost would be here in Hawaii.. Will find out Monday... Would like to have it removed.. Old school, had a few cars without power steering.. I understand Dynamic Power... As it rides now, does not bother me not to have it... Appreciate the reminder to put my glasses on...
    For today, will take it to the wash, have a few beers and cry about the wallet soon to be lighter....
    Ride Safe and God Bless...

Spyder Garage

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thank You billybovine... Ride Safe and God Bless...

Spyder Garage

Thank You billybovine... Ride Safe and God Bless...
    i have a 2010 rts sm5 and it has a recall on the dps you mite check into that