Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Nannie got me real good yesterday

By now, I am used to Nannie kicking in here and there in small reminders whenever I get a little stupid.

Yesterday I was making a right hand turn a bit more than extreme than usual. All three tires went into a split-second skid, then a solid stop. I even thought the engine had stalled but it was still idling. There I was in the middle of my turn totally not moving and looking very stupid.

Note to self - behave and act your age because you can still be made to look like an idiot in public.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    By now, I am used to Nannie kicking in here and there in small reminders whenever I get a little stupid.

Yesterday I was making a right hand turn a bit more than extreme than usual. All three tires went into a split-second skid, then a solid stop. I even thought the engine had stalled but it was still idling. There I was in the middle of my turn totally not moving and looking very stupid.

Note to self - behave and act your age because you can still be made to look like an idiot in public.
    WOW a complete stop ….. I ride quite briskly in the Twistie's and have felt the NANNIE hundred's maybe thousands of times ….. but it has always been an On - Off type of event …… sometimes the dash Icon doesn't even flash ….. You didn't just get a warning … the Nannie probably saved you from a serious crash … so be very Thankful it occurred...………...Glad you didn't ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Wow...!!

Have also had nanny arguments but have never gone into a full slide and from your experience it does look like that situation will cause nanny to lock up the brakes to make sure your not in deep trouble....)
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have Nanny kick in every time I ride the bike. So I complained, a certified mechanic said that my suspension was set at it's lowest level (when it was built), and I weigh 300#s. He said that will be throwing me harder into the leaning of the bike on corners and turns, and with an adjustment to stiffen the suspension, I may be able to reduce her undivided attention. Will be having that done on Wednesday, we will see what we will see..........

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Juice View Post
    I have Nanny kick in every time I ride the bike. So I complained, a certified mechanic said that my suspension was set at it's lowest level (when it was built), and I weigh 300#s. He said that will be throwing me harder into the leaning of the bike on corners and turns, and with an adjustment to stiffen the suspension, I may be able to reduce her undivided attention. Will be having that done on Wednesday, we will see what we will see..........
    Sorry but I dis-agree with the Tech's theory ( it wouldn't be the first time )………. what kind of tires do you have and what PSI , F - R do you have ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Glade your ok. And no one coming up behind you not paying any attention didn't run over you. I've had a nanny a few times but not had the brakes lock up. Mostly it was always after I came out of the curve that it showed up. Hope you find the reason its doing that. Happy trails.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Juice View Post
    I had this same problem. The rear passenger sensor is thinking you are riding 2 up and kicking in the nanny in the twisties. Just remove the rear seat and pop off the cap to the sensor. I put some 3/4" foam pipe insulation to give it more resistance. Just slice off enough to do the job but the hole in the center will not interfere with the sensor, then replace the plastic cap. I have not had a problem since. I also added a large fender washer to the mix. Just be careful not to interfere or damage that sensor or it could cause problems.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post

That doesn't seem right.
    It would make you a hazard to following traffic to have the electronics stop your Spyder in mid corner.
    Or am I missing something here?
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

The "total" stop only seemed like a very fast and split second. Since my hand was still slightly partially on the throttle, the bike picked right back up. i think I was was just being a little overly reactive because of some tailgater and Harley behind him that I had passed about ten miles prior. I think they were still pissed off at me, so I just wanted to get away from them and took the first right turn I could safely find. Just a wee bit too quickly.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

That was the nanny reminding you to never go faster than your guardian angel can fly (or take turns)

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    That was the nanny reminding you to never go faster than your guardian angel can fly (or take turns)
    And she did that very well!
    2014 ST-S Cognac