Spyder Garage

Default Picked up a 2017 RT Limited with 3100 miles this week!

I drove it back from LA to AZ. Wonderful vehicle. The only thing I had difficulty with is the braking. I'm used to riding my 2018 Goldwing (which is going up for sale shortly) that stops on a dime. I noticed the Spyder RT takes much longer to come to a stop. I know that it's 1,033 lbs. but I was wondering if anyone else that has a motorcycle in addition to a Spyder, notices the same thing.
    2017 RT , White

Spyder Garage

I have a 2018 RTL and recently had to make a panic stop on the freeway when a driver in the next lane decided to change into my lane without looking. When I saw her moving toward me I braked hard. At about the same time, she saw me and also started braking. The result was that we were neck and neck as she continued turning toward me. By the time I had swerved completely over to the shoulder, she let off the brakes and pulled ahead of me. It was a very close call, but I was amazed at how quickly the Spyder decelerated under heavy braking while still allowing me to take evasive action. The whole time I never lost traction.
    I have owned 7 Goldwings, the last being a GL1800. Had I been on that bike, it is quite possible I would have locked the front and possibly the rear brake resulting in a low side slide.
    Bottom line: In a panic situation the ABS brakes on the RTL were extremely powerful while still maintaining control.

BTW If you ever plan a ride up to the Payson area, I would enjoy meeting you. Feel free to PM me any time.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

….. I've owned a few Wings …….. None of them could stop as quick as my 14 RT …… I think something isn't quite right with your Spyder …… Remember the Wing has only 33% ( maybe less ) of the tire / road contact patch.... this alone accounts for the stopping ability of a Spyder ….. have it checked ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Really😲

Was it heavy.... sorry had to ask.... no issues here on the braking capabilities of the spyder. Could it be the whole no nose dive or hand control....? could it just be a feeling of longer stopping. Never seen a comparison on stopping distances of the spyder and other vehicles would be interesting. But always good to have it checked out as it could be contaminated pads or poorly seated....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmaz View Post
    I drove it back from LA to AZ. Wonderful vehicle. The only thing I had difficulty with is the braking. I'm used to riding my 2018 Goldwing (which is going up for sale shortly) that stops on a dime. I noticed the Spyder RT takes much longer to come to a stop.
    I agree with you, I can stop my Wing and trigger the ABS at 60mph but my Spyder takes a lot of standing on the brake to make it stop quickly. You'll adjust to it. It's no consolation but the earlier 998 Spyders were much worse!

The wheel diameter limits the size of brake disc which can be accommodated at the front.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of your comments. Don't get me wrong, the Spyder stops fine in normal driving. It was during panic stops that I thought it took longer. I think it's just a matter of getting used to it plus pushing on the brake peddle harder. Without a doubt, the new Wing takes very little effort to make it stop, especially with two master cylinders verses one on the Spyder. I'll just get used to pushing harder on the peddle during those times.
    2017 RT , White

Spyder Garage

I had to panic stop the other day...pulling out of an intersection, the rider in front of me mis-shifted and stopped short...I was too close and had to jam the brake pedal...but stopped in time, no skid...guy behind me told me later that my rear wheel came up about 3 inches off ground.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Braking Tests
    The brake testing is done to determine the stopping distances for each machine from a starting speed of 60mph, using full ABS brakes applied as in a panic stop. The final figure recorded was the average stopping distance for each machine. Again, as with the acceleration testing, the same rider conducted all the tests.

Braking Distance from 60mph Feet Metres
    BMW R1200 RT-P 135.60 41.33
    Can-AM Spyder F3P 118.90 36.24
    Harley-Davidson FLHTP Electra Glide 135.00 41.14
    Harley-Davidson FLHTP Road King 137.50 41.91
    Harley-Davidson FLHTP Electra Glide Stage 3 136.90 41.72
    Conclusions
    Overall, the best performing machine in all the tests is the BMW R 1200 RT-P, readily and substantially beating all the competitors in dynamics, top-speed, and all acceleration tests, and coming in a very close third in the braking test.

Not surprisingly the BRP Can-AM Spyder easily beat the field in the braking tests, owing to the fact that it’s a 3-wheel machine. It managed to come to a stop 16.1ft sooner than the Harley-Davidson FLHTP Electra Glide, which bested the BMW by a mere 0.60 ft. (7.2”). In all other tests it finished in last place.

This was from the following link which tested the F3 police version against other police bikes.

https://www.blueline.ca/2017-police-...-results-4280/.

Im not sure if the police model has significantly different braking systems as our models but it gives some information regarding stopping performance.

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black