Spyder Garage

Default Leaking ELKA shocks

I installed Elka front shocks on my RT a week ago. One of them is already leaking!! I and very unhappy!! Anyone want to buy these from me before I take a sledge hammer to them?

Update: sent the leaking shock back to elka. It took almost a month to get it back, but the shocks is working fine so far. I like the ride quality. Much nicer than stock shocks. Just frustrated that they leaked from the start and after spending $700. We will see how they hold up.
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 08-15-2019 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Updated fix
    KEYLESS REMOTE LOCKS AND FRUNK, HEADS-UP DISPLAY, RADAR DETECTOR, CUSTOM TAILLIGHTS, 2 BROS EXHAUST, SWAYBAR, PAINTED REAR, PAINTED DASH, SHORTY TINTED SCREEN, RIVCO FRONT BUMPER, CUSTOM REAR LUGGAGE RACK, DASH CAM, ANDROID GPS, COMFORT SEAT, 595EVO TIRES, LED HEADLIGHTS, PAINTED MIRRORS, LED REFLECTORS, MUCH MORE.

Spyder Garage

I've had good luck with my RaceTech's if you want to try a different brand. They do have a setup specifically for Spyder.
    2014 RT-S SE6 In the ultra fast Circuit Yellow edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, Race Tech Shocks, Custom Dynamics LED reflectors and top brake light, Providence Spyder Accessories USB Charger (and phone mount), Adjustable Side Wing Deflectors, Can-Am Vented Windshield, Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I installed Elka front shocks on my RT a week ago. One of them is already leaking!! I and very unhappy!! Anyone want to buy these from me before I take a sledge hammer to them?
    So Joel is there any warranty on these? How long will it take them to repair? Do they have loaner shocks so you don't have to be down? Bummer man.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    Venture Riders
    TOI

Spyder Garage

I don't know who installed the shocks, but if they do it a lot they probably have some stock shocks lying around you can borrow while you wait on Elka. If not, I'd bet somebody here has something you can buy cheap or borrow.
    2014 RT-S SE6 In the ultra fast Circuit Yellow edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, Race Tech Shocks, Custom Dynamics LED reflectors and top brake light, Providence Spyder Accessories USB Charger (and phone mount), Adjustable Side Wing Deflectors, Can-Am Vented Windshield, Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

If its a brand new shock that is leaking, ask Elka to sway it out. Where did you buy them? Ask for an exchange. Any product can have initial defects. My Elkas are over 4 yrs old and working just fine. Love em.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

If they were new and you got them direct they will fix them. There have been others that have had the same problem with that shock. Is it fully blown or are you just seeing a little oil on the shaft and wiper. I know when I have my sled shocks rebuilt I will see a small bit of oil on the shaft from the rebuild that goes away after the first wash job. Good Luck

Spyder Garage

How bad is the leak?

Spyder Garage

Are you sure it's leaking? Have you wiped it down well and the fluid comes back?

If it is leaking, I understand your disappointment But stuff does happen. Give Elka the chance to make it right. If you get a good set, you'll be happy you toughed it out. Elka is a reputable company. I think you'll be fine in the long run.
    Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

But did they make a difference in your ryder. It is unfortunate that they developed a leak but on the plus side is they are serviceable and Elka will fix them. If that new they maybe able to send a new one out so you can just swap it out and keep going....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Are you sure it's leaking? Have you wiped it down well and the fluid comes back?

If it is leaking, I understand your disappointment But stuff does happen. Give Elka the chance to make it right. If you get a good set, you'll be happy you toughed it out. Elka is a reputable company. I think you'll be fine in the long run.
    with Ron.
    I've got over 30,000 mi on my Elka stage 2 shocks and couldn't be happier!
    If indeed they are leaking, reach out to Elka and let them make it right.

Spyder Garage

I have had Elkas on our 2 2012 RTLs since 2012 with no problems and still going. They are a great shock.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

The A-arm is covered in oil. It says they are set up for 300 lbs, but they seem to bottom out pretty easy(probably causing the leak). I adjusted the spring preload today, but now the ride is harsh and still seeing a few spots of oil on the A-arm.
    KEYLESS REMOTE LOCKS AND FRUNK, HEADS-UP DISPLAY, RADAR DETECTOR, CUSTOM TAILLIGHTS, 2 BROS EXHAUST, SWAYBAR, PAINTED REAR, PAINTED DASH, SHORTY TINTED SCREEN, RIVCO FRONT BUMPER, CUSTOM REAR LUGGAGE RACK, DASH CAM, ANDROID GPS, COMFORT SEAT, 595EVO TIRES, LED HEADLIGHTS, PAINTED MIRRORS, LED REFLECTORS, MUCH MORE.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a bad seal. I know Elka will stand behind their products and I would sure contact them. Hope you kept your old shocks for use while getting the Elkas fixed. Changing out front shocks is an easy process once you have done it a time or two. I had to send mine in for rebuild and Elka did mine for half cost even though they were well out of warranty. No issues after rebuild and 20K miles. Good luck..... Jim
    Platinum Silver Satin 2014 RTL, Driver Backrest. Baha Ron Bar, Elka Shocks, Hiway pegs, Lighted Bump Skid, Centramatic Wheel Balancers, Wide Vu Mirrors, Third Tail/Brake light, Missing Belt Guard, Federal Formoza front and General Altimax rear tires, Squared Away, Mirror turn signals, Vibration Damper, Magnetic Mirrors, Matching RT622 Trailer.....Semper Fi....

.]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One bad seal sucks: when you're the one who got it!
    I had very good luck with Elkas on my 2010 RT, and wouldn't hesitate to suggest them to anyone...
    Contact Elka, and actually see if they'll make good on it.
    Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Couple of choices call Elka and see what they will do for you and setup of the shock.

If not can you get a refund.

Another option talk to Marcus at M2 Shocks.

Spyder Garage

The A-arm is covered in oil. It says they are set up for 300 lbs, but they seem to bottom out pretty easy(probably causing the leak). I adjusted the spring preload today, but now the ride is harsh and still seeing a few spots of oil on the A-arm.
    The shock has a bad seal, it's a new shock and I can't imagine why Elka wouldn't make it right, give them a call tomorrow morning.

Spyder Garage

Why moan here before you have contacted Elka!
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver

Spyder Garage

I've watched my shock guy rebuild my shocks and as tight as the seals go I there it would be very easy to tear a seal. Give them the chance to repair it. The sucky part is you have to give it up and use your old ones! It seems like a big deal but it really isn't! Good luck I would not give up o the shocks, heck if I could afford them I would by a set!!!

Spyder Garage

Call Elka---1-800-557-0552; press 1 for English; then follow the phone menu for Customer Service. When you're done advising them of the seal issue; ask to speak to someone in Tech Support and get advice on shock adjustment to address the ride quality issue. While aggravating; a blown seal isn't that big a deal. I bought a 1980 Suzuki GS1100 new from a dealer, and had a fork seal leaking within a couple of days. Fixed under warranty. Within another 6 weeks the voltage regulator/rectifier went bad. Fixed under warranty. Never had any problems with it for the next 5 years I owned it. Good luck!

https://us.elkasuspension.com/

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So far my problem with Elka is no response to my emails.
    I ordered 2 weeks ago and very next day I sent couple emails to change my riding style to sport tour from performance tune but never got a response.
    I did get an email saying it was shipped but no mention of changes so we shall see.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Sooner or later all product mfg produce a failure item--even NASA's Space Station---it happens. Most Elka shock users are very happy with the product. Give Elka a chance to rectify the problem. I'm not certain of Elka's warranty program but most mfg only warranty the original purchaser . Good luck. Darrell

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    So far my problem with Elka is no response to my emails.
    I ordered 2 weeks ago and very next day I sent couple emails to change my riding style to sport tour from performance tune but never got a response.
    I did get an email saying it was shipped but no mention of changes so we shall see.
    Usually riding styles can be easily adjusted to suit the rider.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was thinking it would be more of Different spring rate or fluid but idk.
    It was not like I gave them wrong model of spyder or something so not as critical but Not getting a response was the annoying part.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Usually riding styles can be easily adjusted to suit the rider.

Spyder Garage

I have Elka stage 2 on the front of my bike. I had the seals fail in about 18 months of easy use, so no warranty. The seal head was replaced by a local motorcycle suspension professional, since the Elka authorized shop's turnaround time was too long. As it turns out they had a deflect batch of seal heads, but Elka wouldn't elaborate to my suspension guy. The new part looks identical to the old one, so there had to be some kind of defect in the manufacturing process and not a design defect. However, despite this problem the Elka's are wonderful and beyond superior to the OEM shocks.
    2014 RT SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My rear Elka came in. A good looking shock but we shall see.