Spyder Garage

Default Insane Computer Boot Time- Why Do We Put Up With It?

OK, now that my RT actually starts (after replacing thenDESS) I got to actually ride it. The starting process is just stupid. Why? Modern vehicles can manage a start process via computer in less than a second..The current Spyder needs 5-10 seconds. That is unacceptable. If you think it is needed, just look at the Police package version of the Spyder. (On You Tube) . It has an instant start..Turn the key and go.. So, BRP can do it but do not. What is more bewildering is why as customers we accept it!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Those of us whom have had our ECUs flashed by Monster Fuel Injection are very happy with the increased power AND-------------- instant boot up. Some of the best $$ spent on my

Lew L

PS: Of course it really helps if we knew which year your RT is.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by w6ada View Post
    OK, now that my RT actually starts (after replacing thenDESS) I got to actually ride it. The starting process is just stupid. Why? Modern vehicles can manage a start process via computer in less than a second..The current Spyder needs 5-10 seconds. That is unacceptable. If you think it is needed, just look at the Police package version of the Spyder. (On You Tube) . It has an instant start..Turn the key and go.. So, BRP can do it but do not. What is more bewildering is why as customers we accept it!
    With the Monster Fuel Injection ECU flash stage 1 or 2 one of the options you have is,
    Quick Start: NO (factory) / YES (Instant engine start without waiting for dash scroll).
    Love being able to turn the key and fire it up!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

That is great news. An aftermarket computer change solves the problem. So, my question is the same, why did not BRP make the change? Why do customers go to outside vendors? Don’t misunderstand me, I am a great Spyder fan, I am just against manufacturers failing to improve their product when they so easily can and, again, if customers demanded the manufacturer step up and make changes, they would

Spyder Garage

Newer Spyders start right up, no wait time.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Yes the new models have no wait time and is a great change that was long overdue. Now to get rid of the dumbass mode button push.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

10 seconds, must feel like an eternity...

Smart owners, turn on the key and it boots while we install a helmet or gear.

If you do wear a helmet, maybe try that.

I gave up long ago being bothered by it, if and when we buy a new Spyder, they did away with it on newer models.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    With the Monster Fuel Injection ECU flash stage 1 or 2 one of the options you have is,
    Quick Start: NO (factory) / YES (Instant engine start without waiting for dash scroll).
    Love being able to turn the key and fire it up!
    I selected No/ factory and still got the instant start. Now if I have my spyder at the shop for anything, and they discover the instant start , dead give away. Probably not a problem with my dealer though. I LOVE how my Spyder Runs now!! Best thing I have done to my spyder.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    10 seconds, must feel like an eternity...

Smart owners, turn on the key and it boots while we install a helmet or gear.

If you do wear a helmet, maybe try that.

I gave up long ago being bothered by it, if and when we buy a new Spyder, they did away with it on newer models.
    Yes I always turned on the key before mounting. Then Hit mode and start . No need for that any more. Now its just like any other motorcycle.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Stock 2019 HD does the same thing minus the push of mode button. I’m old I’m in no hurry to get anywhere.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

who cares, just ride

Spyder Garage

2015 and newer 1330 engine Spyders start much faster. Do not need to wait for the screen. Gauge sweep, foot on brake, mode, park brake, start.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

What constitutes a "newer model" in this discussion? My 2018 RTL still does it the "slow way" if I'm reading this thread correctly.

Plus, BOTH the 2018 and 2019 RT Operator's Guides specifically say (in the "Starting the Engine" sections) - "NOTICE: Do NOT apply throttle while electrical system is initializing". Which I always took to mean wait until the digital dash finishes it's initialization and you get all the correct screens showing...specifically the right hand side finishing the "Loading" notification. Unless I'm misinterpreting that, I wouldn't want to turn the key on, start the engine, then take off cranking the throttle until the digital dash indicated everything electrical HAD finished loading.

If I'm missing something, someone please enlighten me. But the Operator's Guides seems to indicate you shouldn't be starting the engine and rolling the throttle on with either the 2018 or 2019 RT's until the entire electrical system has finished initializing, per the "Loading" indication on the digital dashboard finishing.

NOTE: The "Loading" message happens on my 2018 RTL. I can't vouch for if it displays on a 2019 or not, but I assume it does based on both year's Operator's Guides instructions.

Anyway, I just do what PMK does. Standing next to Spyder I turn the key on then push the Mode button to get out of the "Read the Safety Card" screen. Then put my helmet on, etc. By the time I'm ready to mount the Spyder it's already gone through the entire electrical initialization process and when I get on I CAN start the engine and just ride away. It's a non-issue (for me) if I just adjust my own "Let's get ready to ride" routine.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I am with you all the way!! When you ride with other bikes and they all jump o and drive off while your sitting there waiting for yours to wake up is a pain. Mine will start right up if I am at the store, stop, put it in neutral, set the brake, shut it off go in and grab what ever I am there for and go back and turn the key and hit the starter it will fire up. Seams like it's on a timer if I spend to much time in there I have to wait for it to wake up again. I guess the only solution is to buy a new ride, Ill run that one by the boss and see if that dog will hunt!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I also agree with you on the stupid delay built in the start system?? My 2014 RTL was that way but they did improve on the 2018's RTL a bit. I still have to push the eco button but then no delay... AND they could have made the dash display on the 2018's and 2019's more user friendly.. It is crazy the way they set it up and have had to make several software updates already??
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    What constitutes a "newer model" in this discussion? My 2018 RTL still does it the "slow way" if I'm reading this thread correctly.

Plus, BOTH the 2018 and 2019 RT Operator's Guides specifically say (in the "Starting the Engine" sections) - "NOTICE: Do NOT apply throttle while electrical system is initializing". Which I always took to mean wait until the digital dash finishes it's initialization and you get all the correct screens showing...specifically the right hand side finishing the "Loading" notification. Unless I'm misinterpreting that, I wouldn't want to turn the key on, start the engine, then take off cranking the throttle until the digital dash indicated everything electrical HAD finished loading.

If I'm missing something, someone please enlighten me. But the Operator's Guides seems to indicate you shouldn't be starting the engine and rolling the throttle on with either the 2018 or 2019 RT's until the entire electrical system has finished initializing, per the "Loading" indication on the digital dashboard finishing.

NOTE: The "Loading" message happens on my 2018 RTL. I can't vouch for if it displays on a 2019 or not, but I assume it does based on both year's Operator's Guides instructions.

Anyway, I just do what PMK does. Standing next to Spyder I turn the key on then push the Mode button to get out of the "Read the Safety Card" screen. Then put my helmet on, etc. By the time I'm ready to mount the Spyder it's already gone through the entire electrical initialization process and when I get on I CAN start the engine and just ride away. It's a non-issue (for me) if I just adjust my own "Let's get ready to ride" routine.
    On your 2018 RTL which is the same as my 2018 F3L. Turn on the key. Push the mode button. Push the start button. It will start. There is no need to wait for the screen.

That is correct you should not turn the throttle during initialization. That takes maybe a second for the ECU to initialize. Likely the same as your car and the same warning in the manual. Nothing to do with the dash.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

On my 18 F3L I Just turn the key on, push mode button, push start. Varoom. Takes maybe 5 seconds to do the 3 steps. No need to wait for the loading to finish. That can take up to a minute. That's just for your phones music, BRP connect, ect.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

.The current Spyder needs 5-10 seconds. That is unacceptable.
    Unacceptable ??
    OK, well then sell your Spyder and get something different.

Mine has NEVER taken more than 5 seconds; usually more like 3.

IF......you turn the key ON before you put on your helmet, gloves, sun glasses, etc. you won't care anyway.

I think: You are exaggerating.
    You need to lighten up a little.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Newer Spyders start right up, no wait time.

Cruzr Joe
    What year is yours?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I think the delayed startup is an F.B.I. thing. It is to make sure you don't use the Spyder as a getaway vehicle in a bank robbery..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I think the delayed startup is an F.B.I. thing. It is to make sure you don't use the Spyder as a getaway vehicle in a bank robbery..... Jim
    I got half way through the safety card reading once and felt a hand on my shoulder, reached for the sky turned around and an old lady handed me a wad of notes I'd dropped in my haste so not all bad.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic