Thread: Oil Leak

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Leak

Hi all....I just purchased a 2018 RT limited withe around five hundred miles on it. I discovered an oil leak and took it to the dealer. They found that a crush washer on the bolt that goes into to cam tightener cover was missing, obviously from the factory. The parts fiche gives a number but it is for the same washer that is on the drain plug, and that is way too small. There is definitely a washer supposed to be there, as a check of other models on the floor have it. Calls to BRP have so far come up with zilch and no answer. Obviously they know something as they put the dang thing in at the factory. I volunteered to make one at the tool shop I work at, but they nixed that idea. So....here I sit with a new SPYDER that I have ridden a half dozen times, while it sits in the shop waiting for.................
    what??

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure...

Checking the parts breakdown....there is a washer on the cam chain tensioner part# 420242365 for a $1.99 at cheapcycleparts.com that may be what your talking about. There was an issue with a case cover bolt on the early 14's leaking oil but this is a new one. If they need to install a OEM part cheapcyleparts sells all OEMparts...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Sounds warranty & you could bug dealer for a courtesy ride with the lack of time estimate.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks...I think that number is the bolt, which is actually a threaded collar and the gasket is p/n 420430623
    . Unless I am seeing it wrong, which is entirely possible.

Spyder Garage

I plugged the gasket ring number into google and got connections all over. Amazon, Cheapparts, Ebay, and on and on. I saw where one source wanted 17 bux for shipping. Anyway, I ordered one on the cheap, and it will be here next week. Something tells me that it will get here before the dealer gets an answer, but we will think good thoughts. I wonder if this is going to be an issue, or just a random assembly fluke??

Spyder Garage

Now I am confused. The "screw" that goes to the timing adjust is an M24. Almost an inch. The part I ordered came and it definitely will NOT fit an M24 screw. The hole is way too small. However, the exact same part number is used on various assemblies. The part number is also used on the oil drain plug. The oil drain is an M14 thread. Obviously the same crush washer will NOT work on both. The part I received will fit the M14 screw on the oil drain. I talked to another dealer in the area and he said they had never had the one in that the belt tensioner that leaked. I said it leaks because the factory forgot a part in assembly. I hope they get this "unscrewed" soon. They have now had the machine longer than I have. I still wish they would just let me make one and get on down the road, but I suppose it is a warranty issue. The part number called out is 420430623. I believe it is correct for the drain, but NOT the tensioner. Strange because this exact same set up is used on everything. Spyders, Skiddoo's etc. All the parts breakdowns call for this number, but it cant fit.

Spyder Garage

Maybe they changed the size of the timing bolt and have yet to change the parts fisch??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wifesspyder View Post
    There is definitely a washer supposed to be there, as a check of other models on the floor have it.
    A decent shop would take that washer OFF of another machine on the floor and send you on your way........instead of screwing you over like that.

Spyder Garage

They have another spyder in for extensive work that they are considering swiping the washer from. They have to get canam to approve it. I suppose due to warranty issues. Also...they HAVE found out that the chain adjuster was changed in size in, I believe he said, 2016. Apparently there have been no issues yet on this particular item. So...we are waiting for the bureaucrats at can am to get their parts list up to date. Supposedly this upgrade missed getting changed. If that worker on the assembly line had just not had that three drink lunch, my crush washer would not have been omitted....lol. Any way, here I sit with a new machine that is sitting on the dealers shop floor, waiting for rusty wheels to turn.

Spyder Garage

...and yet here we sit....waiting.....

Spyder Garage

Latest update....They ordered the bolt just to make sure of the size of washer. Anyway, the bolt is on backorder until October. Sure hope nobody needs one of those. So, the folks an Can Am finally got a revelation and sent the correct washer. The mechanic, who also was p.o. ed at can-am, was getting ready to install it when I left. Hope that it is all smiles from here. I have no issue with the dealer, but I have lost some faith in can am for sure. Glad I was not off in some who knows where place waiting for a stupid crush washer.

Spyder Garage

Woo hoo. Got scoot back this afternoon. I think the Spyder tech was just as glad to get rid of it as I was to get it. Long battle for a little crush washer. The tech showed me the new one and the one called out in the parts fisch. They were definitely different and the one called out would not possibly work. He was pretty sure Canam would update their tech info. He said they have NEVER had this problem before and Canam was totally in the dark too. But....it's parked in my garage and I can start "re-traing" myself to ride with three wheels.