Thread: Tire picture.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire picture.

Two photos I made today...
    I don't have a tread gauge but the original Kenda fronts have one to two 32nds above the wear bar, at 70K miles!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Oh the other thread....

I saw the other thread with no pictures .... Now I see them on this one. I have had good results with the Kenda tires.Two rears and two fronts. I am to running a Vee Rubber Arachnid rear and it is doing well. I do have some Missouri mule in me and have to see for myself. Niether tire are liked here but work for me. Glad to see others out there getting the most out of them...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

This is what puzzles me about the Kenda tires. Some folks report totally worn out at 8000 miles, and then a story like this comes along. I know front end alignment makes a difference, but this much? 70K on one set of tires? I don't expect that much out of the car tire I put on.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    This is what puzzles me about the Kenda tires. Some folks report totally worn out at 8000 miles, and then a story like this comes along. I know front end alignment makes a difference, but this much? 70K on one set of tires? I don't expect that much out of the car tire I put on.
    8000 to 12,000 mi for the REAR. ….. 70,000 K for the front is really unusual …. It seem Calif. and Texas have the perfect combination of Temperature and Road surface to enable the Kenda to last that long ……. Maybe some folks from those states will report what Auto tires are getting …… Mike

Spyder Garage

In Southern California I usually get 60-70K on my pickup tires and my jeep wrangler....doesn't really matter what brand although I prefer Continental. I do an immense amount of freeway driving.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I didn't really expect this much mileage either, but there it is! That tire looks too good to throw away yet, doesn't it? But I'm going with some new Vredesteins anyway, to enjoy them while I can.

Alignment: the other tire is not this good... the inside half is worn twice as thin as the outside, which approximately equals this tire. I don't think I need to worry about alignment! Although it either steers straight, or pulls a little bit to the right... never to the left. But isn't that how car alignments are favored?

I'm on the third rear tire... 16,000 miles now, and it seems hardly worn at all.

BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If I paid for an alignment on a vehicle and it didn't go straight, but rather pulled to one side or the other, I would be going straight back to get it adjusted til it did go straight down the road.

When we got our Spyder "Squared Away", Joe didn't ask me if my Spyder pulled to the left. I'm quite sure he was proud of the fact that it now went straight down the road and I didn't have to fight the corners in any way.

It does go straight if I pull my hands back just a bit from the handle bars and doesn't seem to be affected by the crown on a normal road. The before and after difference is really amazing. By the way, we had that done about 15000 miles ago and it's still just as good as the day we had it done. Joe and Ann are the best.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never paid for an alignment. That's factory only, which I know isn't perfect. But the amount of pull, and the amount of wear doesn't indicate any dire error.

BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My new Vredesteins have been on for 6 months and 10,200 miles, and it does go pretty much straight down the road now. So I suspect the Kenda side-wear and side-pull was just due to a crappy tire. Note in the picture that the "good" Kenda wore evenly all across the tread.

I don't yet see any wear at all on those new babies. They are superb! I'm trying to run 17psi all around.

BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Change them while you still can.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Back when I was riding my Harley in California I would only get around 7,000 miles on the stock 402's, when I moved to Oklahoma I was getting over 17,000 miles on the 402's. Most my riding in California was stop and go in town. In Oklahoma most is freeway. I only have a little over 5,000 miles on my Spyder and it is only 5 months old so the tires currently still look good. I will wait and see what kind of mileage I get but I am already looking for replacement tires and reading all I can to be ready.
    2019 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I saw the other thread with no pictures .... Now I see them on this one. I have had good results with the Kenda tires.Two rears and two fronts. I am to running a Vee Rubber Arachnid rear and it is doing well. I do have some Missouri mule in me and have to see for myself. Niether tire are liked here but work for me. Glad to see others out there getting the most out of them...
    If all the back roads in Missouri are as GREAT as the ones that I've ridden on, that might be why you've had good performance out of your Kendas. I've ridden on Arkansas' twisties and the twisties here in Oklahoma and the Kendas were soooo hard to control it was SCAREY!! Don't get me wrong, I love riding in Arkansa b'cuz the state absolutely caters to bikers/bikes, probably their main money making enterprise for both commercial and mom and pop stores.
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

If you don't have a tire depth gauge put a penny in the grove with Lincolns head down. If you can see all of his head the tire is worn out (2/32's).

Spyder Garage

I have been a OEM Kenda person since day 1 (08 GS SM5). Over the length of five different Spyders, I have averaged between 20K and 25K on the front tires. I have averaged 15K on the rear tires.

Once exception, the 2014 RT's came with a new "soft" rubber Kenda. That one got me 8.5K before giving up the ghost. Changed it out with the "old" style Kenda.

Fast forward to 2019. We moved from AK to AR. Our first service appt. in July 2019, we had all "new" tires put on both Spyders. The 2011 and the 2014. Yes, we went to the "darkside."

The jury is out on mileage since we now are dealing with oranges instead of apples. The 2011 has been traded off and since been sold. Someone got a brand new set of tires there.

I am thinking I have at least a couple years before tires are needed on either of the Spyders. The beta testers are now going to be giving the Kanines a run. I like the "beefier" look. Will be a consideration on future tires when the time comes again.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My '14 RTS came with Kenda's on the front. With around 35-36K miles, they're starting to look like the OPs. There's a Kumho on the rear, and I think I'll replace all three at once.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange