North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks to Joe & Ann @ Squared Away

Seeing a different "shout out" posted today for one of our vendors, I figured Joe & Ann deserved one too for the assistance they provided Monday that saved my road trip to get my new Russell seat.

I had left my house Monday morning to ride to Shasta Lake, CA for my Russell ride-in appointment on Wednesday. The new parking brake motor my dealer ordered the first time my parking locked up a couple weeks ago hadn't arrived yet, so I was making the trip with the 2 wrenches I would need to disconnect the parking brake if needed. Accordingly, Murphy's Law strikes again and at my very first gas stop my parking brake locked up on me and I broke out the wrenches and crawled under the muffler (which isn't fun for me since my neck surgery). Regardless of how much I loosened the 2 nuts the cable would not budge to release from the parking brake mechanism. Another rider came over when he saw me and he tried to do it and couldn't get it to work either. I was in semi-panic mode. If I didn't get to Russell Day Long by 8 AM Wednesday I would lose the ride-in deposit and not get the seat after waiting 3 months for the appointment.

So I called Joe and Ann's Squared Away phone number. Ann answered and after I told her what was happening she put Joe on the phone and he talked the other (obviously more mechanically inclined) rider through removing a much larger bolt then repositioning the parking brake mechanism. Worked like a charm! I could then shift into gear and ride the Spyder again. Just had to make sure I always "blocked" the wheels one way or another when parking so it wouldn't roll away on me.

Joe and Ann went above and beyond to help me, and I sincerely appreciate it. They saved my Russell Seat ride appointment and I now am the proud owner of my second Russell seat, this one on my new 2018 Spyder. I just rode it back home 650 miles from Shasta Lake CA to Las Vegas today. 11 hours with no butt burn or other discomfort whatsoever.

Thanks Joe and Ann! Drinks are on me when able.

IMG_1262_resize.jpg
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Joe and Ann are really good helpful folks

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Spyder Strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

looks very similar stitching to the NT seat. I have both NT and Spyder from Russell.

did you notice "spyder" stitching in any of there sample photos. I have that. AND I don't think you got sunbrella?
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

What was the Larger bolt" that was loosened that released the brake?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Where the arm connects to the parking brake shaft. His cable was so tight, even with the cable free of it’s connection, they could not get it free. By removing the arm, the shaft could spin, and release the brake. Then put the cable back in it’s mounting location, so nothing gets damaged. We have seen several of these, and released them. Seems to be on a rise. Not sure what’s different, but Ann told me about 5 of them! So, carry 2, 12mm open end wrenches. A wheel chock (small, folding) and something soft to lay on. Hot roads!
    Always happy to help, Rick! Thank you for the kind words. We appreciate it!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I live on the other side of the continent but always feel good when I read about Joe & Ann helping people out from the goodness of their hearts. Thank you!

Wifey & I always fly to LV each late Aug to do a SW tour in a rented Hertz SUV so hopefully will not need to disturb them
    Oldgoat.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Joe,

Along with the 2 12mm wrenches I had, what was the size of the ratchet head to remove the bolt on the arm? Luckily the other rider had a tool set that had the ratchet and head to fit the bolt. Or is there already something in the toolkit that came with my Spyder for that bolt?
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    looks very similar stitching to the NT seat. I have both NT and Spyder from Russell.

did you notice "spyder" stitching in any of there sample photos. I have that. AND I don't think you got sunbrella?
    It's the basic "Moon" stitch pattern from Russell. Same pattern I had on my NT too. I liked it because it has a lot less stitching and with my choice of full leather it reduces the possible water seeping places water can seep into the seat (the leather stitching is not waterproof, so I always carry the rain cover and use it when riding in the rain). Plus, when I maintain the seat with a good coat of leather cleaner and conditioner periodically, there are a LOT less seams I have to get excess leather cream out of.

When you do a same day ride-in appointment, you are limited in your choices of stitching patterns and "special" materials like the sunbrella. Some patterns and materials take a lot longer for the seat builder to incorporate them into the seat build...more than just one day to build the seat. That was OK with me. I did the ride in to get the seat measurements as close to perfect as possible, so I chose the patterns and materials they could build the seat with in one day. And Russell nailed them again this time just like on my first ride-in for my NT seat in 2011. The Russell website has examples of what you can and can't have done during a ride-in appointment. The Spyder stitching takes more than one day for them to do. It's fairly time-consuming for the seat builder.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Where the arm connects to the parking brake shaft. His cable was so tight, even with the cable free of it’s connection, they could not get it free. By removing the arm, the shaft could spin, and release the brake. Then put the cable back in it’s mounting location, so nothing gets damaged. We have seen several of these, and released them. Seems to be on a rise. Not sure what’s different, but Ann told me about 5 of them! So, carry 2, 12mm open end wrenches. A wheel chock (small, folding) and something soft to lay on. Hot roads!
    Always happy to help, Rick! Thank you for the kind words. We appreciate it!
    Thank you Joe for that well written explanation. Are there any symptoms you know of that indicate a parking brake lock-up is going to occur?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Sadly, usually little to no warning. It might mess up once, and you get lucky, cycling the switch on and off. If that happens, open a case right away. If enough fail, then the supplier might be made to make it right.
    I’ll look tomorrow and double check the bolt size on that arm. Thanks for the kind words. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

I've had no prior warning the two times it has happened. The first time I was on my way to Joe and Ann's across town and had stopped at my bank on the way. When I came out to my Spyder the parking brake wouldn't release. Totally random event. I tried turning off/on the key several times and allowing the digital dash to cycle through it's startup configuration. About the 4th or 5th time doing that the brake released. My dealer ordered a new parking brake motor under warranty 2 days later, but it hadn't arrived prior to last Monday when I left for California. When it locked up again at my first gas stop on Monday I tried the on/off restarting the Spyder about 10 times but the parking brake stayed locked. No amount of pushing the parking brake button made a difference. That's when I broke out the 2 wrenches and loosened the nuts but we couldn't get the cable to release at all. It felt like it was stretched tight and wouldn't budge. So like Joe said, you probably aren't going to get any advance warning if it's going to happen. Plus you might want to make sure you have a socket and ratchet that will fit the arm bolt in case your cable is as tight as mine was if it happens to you.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

That's one nice looking seat you got there!!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    Joe,

Along with the 2 12mm wrenches I had, what was the size of the ratchet head to remove the bolt on the arm? Luckily the other rider had a tool set that had the ratchet and head to fit the bolt. Or is there already something in the toolkit that came with my Spyder for that bolt?
    Just checked: 13mm on the bolt that connects the arm to the shaft. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Spyder Garage

Thanks Joe. I will add one to my "stuck brake" kit along with two 12mm wrenches and the Harbor Freight folding chocks.

Spyder Garage

Thats Ann and Joe for you. A great couple you wouldnt find better when you have a problem. They have helped me also.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors