Thread: Exhaust leak

Spyder Garage

Default Exhaust leak

My ryker over the last few weeks has become loud at start up only to quiet down when the engine warmed up after a minute or two. I check the service manual and it said that as part of the 6000 mile service you should tighten the exhaust connections. I didn't do that at the time and now I have 11,900 miles. So, I took off the heat shield by the exhaust manifold and sure enough the bolts holding the manifold on to the engine block were all easy to snug up (i.e. somewhat loose). I snugged them up and the problem is solved. Thought this might help others who experienced the same thing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    My ryker over the last few weeks has become loud at start up only to quiet down when the engine warmed up after a minute or two. I check the service manual and it said that as part of the 6000 mile service you should tighten the exhaust connections. I didn't do that at the time and now I have 11,900 miles. So, I took off the heat shield by the exhaust manifold and sure enough the bolts holding the manifold on to the engine block were all easy to snug up (i.e. somewhat loose). I snugged them up and the problem is solved. Thought this might help others who experienced the same thing.
    Holy Smoke! I seem to be accumulating a heck of a list of bolts that need to be tightened after a select amount of miles on the machine. If my old car needed bolts tightened, I would have been walking years ago.

Spyder Garage

Hi RykerUSA did you have to remove the sensor in the exhaust plate if so does it unscrew easy with the cable connection
    Best regards Nico 75

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks again....

You seem to be finding all kinds of tid-bits to pass on to the ryker clan.... Hope they are taking notes cause it will save them searching or visiting the dealer...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yes you do have to take the sensor off. it is no problem whatsoever.