Spyder Garage

Angry Almost hit a semi today

Today I tested out the Spyder's brakes from 65 to zero. I was cruising back from town after working out and a semi pulling a flatbed trailer decided to look at me coming and pull long ways across the highway and park there, blocking all oncoming traffic for a good 2 minutes.

When he did this, I was so close I could see him look at me, then look down at something in his passenger seat, then pull across the road and stop again and look at something in his passenger seat.
    I laid on the brakes as hard as I could and hit the clutch on the bike and I'm honestly surprised. The bike didn't move out of the straight line she was in, didn't slide or do anything other than come to a complete stop rapidly. I was probably 20 feet from the trailer when I did stop though.

I am not however, impressed with the horn that I laid down on that sounded like an angry bee to show my displeasure. He backed up for a moment then continued on his way with a car behind me that somehow stopped before I did.

Very happy with the Spyder, not happy with the truck driver.
    2011 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting this Frost. You could have easily opted not to, thinking this just one of those things one deals with when out there. But it's a good object lesson to us to practice panic braking. I have to admit I have yet to try that. Thanks for the heads up. Oh, and I'm so glad it ended well for you.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Very grateful the car behind you stopped too!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Thanks for posting this Frost. You could have easily opted not to, thinking this just one of those things one deals with when out there. But it's a good object lesson to us to practice panic braking. I have to admit I have yet to try that. Thanks for the heads up. Oh, and I'm so glad it ended well for you.
    I hadn't ordered the extended brake pedal until today, I didn't think I needed it. If I hadn't had my foot squarely on that pedal or if it had slipped for just a second, I'd have eaten that trailer.

GET THE EXTENDED PEDAL. I have mine on it's way as of now. She's not off the road until it gets here but I'm going to be even more cautious. Yay for PTSD and hyper reflexes. It's not the first time that it's come in handy.

The driver actually looked at me, looked at his seat, looked at me and pulled ACROSS BOTH LANES OF TRAFFIC. I have never seen anything like it. It's like he wanted me to hit his trailer.
    2011 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

Probably too busy texting or checking his itinerary. Bad driver too caught up in his own world to be aware of what is going on around him. Glad you were able to avoid his poor driving..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad you're ok.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that it didn't turn out to bay WAYYYYY worse!

Look at it this way: it sure knocked all of the scales off of your pipes!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Glad you're okay!
    Was on a group ride yesterday and after stopping for fuel, as we pulled out of the station, the enabled rider in front of me on a custom Harley trike stopped dead short (is possible the hydraulic shifter missed or something) and I had to slam the pedal to prevent a rear-ender. Guy behind me said my rear tire came up about 3 inches off the ground! No contact made.
    I'll be ordering the extended pedal ASAP.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK.

With my 09 I had to do a panic stop because a car pull out in front of me and stopped. Brakes worked very well. It did surprise me that the ABS kicked in on clean, dry pavement. Never had to do a real panic stop with my 13 STL. But did practise one to see if it would act the same. Worked extremely well. The ABS did not step in. But the floorboard dropped to allow full travel of the brake pedal.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

On my 07 VTX 1300, I had done two panic stops before and both times the rear tire locked and slid the bike sideways so I was expecting something like that. I'm very thankful that little bike stops like it does though...why the hell did Can Am give her such a small brake pedal?
    2011 RT , Silver

Spyder Garage

Glad you are OK!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I had a similar situation a few months ago while on the freeway at 65 mph in the outside lane, when a lady in the left lane next to me decided to change into my lane without looking. As soon as I saw her starting to come toward me, I began braking hard. The problem was, by that time she saw me and also started braking, but continued turning right toward me, so that we were neck and neck while she continued veering toward me. Luckily, I was able to maintain control all the way over to the shoulder of the road, and she finally let off the brakes and pulled ahead of me.

I was very impressed at how quickly the Spyder decelerated under heavy braking with no loss off traction, all the while allowing me to maneuver away from the other driver.