Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RTL outdoor cover pools water

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and new to the Spyder family. I am on the road with my new Spyder and I cover it every night. I have the Ultraguard cover and it seems to fit well and serve its purpose. My question is the cover pools water in the rain between the front of the bike which is elevated and the rear trunk which is again higher than the area over the seat. Has anyone found a way to eliminate this? I am not sure that any other cover could eliminate this problem. After a very rainy night there was quite a bit of water pooled up stressing the cover especially between the antenna and the front grips and windshield area. I did a quick search but found nothing on this issue.
    Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very common problem with almost all covers, to some degree.

Adding some additional tie straps that go UNDER the bike so you can draw the cover tight should help a lot but likely won't eliminate it completely.

Note: just cutting a hole in the cover to attach extra straps isn't good enough.......as windy conditions will tear out the hole rather quickly.

Spyder Garage

Get a windshield shade, the kind that pops open and is collapsed with a ring. Put on cover, open shade, sit it on the seat: no more low spot, no more puddle. Fits in saddlebag.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Get a windshield shade, the kind that pops open and is collapsed with a ring. Put on cover, open shade, sit it on the seat: no more low spot, no more puddle. Fits in saddlebag.
    that or few bungees hooked on bottom of the front side of windshield, run up & over like clothesline to a loop around trunk. Bungee placements experimentation may be required. But that will provide support across the middle when you cover & bungees can wad up in small or strap down additional stuff you may want to carry

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Get a windshield shade, the kind that pops open and is collapsed with a ring.
    Joe, do you have a link to the "ring" type as an example? I Googled and can only find the foldable and accordion style ones. Thanks!
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    Joe, do you have a link to the "ring" type as an example? I Googled and can only find the foldable and accordion style ones. Thanks!
    When he suggested that, I thought it was a good idea.
    But after thinking about it a bit........
    That will tend to "balloon" the cover out at the top, so if any space is left open around the bottom edges of the cover, it might tend to work like a parachute in a strong wind and try to rip the cover off the bike.
    Not so sure that is a good idea after all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solman View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to the forum and new to the Spyder family. I am on the road with my new Spyder and I cover it every night. I have the Ultraguard cover and it seems to fit well and serve its purpose. My question is the cover pools water in the rain between the front of the bike which is elevated and the rear trunk which is again higher than the area over the seat. Has anyone found a way to eliminate this? I am not sure that any other cover could eliminate this problem. After a very rainy night there was quite a bit of water pooled up stressing the cover especially between the antenna and the front grips and windshield area. I did a quick search but found nothing on this issue.
    Thanks
    Full cover or half cover?

The only one I know that eliminates this problem is the BRP OEM storage cover, but it's a bit heavy and cumbersome for traveling.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

just need to put something on the seat that will lift the cover high enough to prevent puddling. Could even be a bungie strung between the windshield and trunk or something like that.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have a Tourmaster 1/2 cover that I use when traveling. It fits pretty tightly with very minor pooling when I run the windscreen all the way up before installing the cover. Motel hand towels are just the ticket for eliminating cover moisture prior to morning departures. If you need to add additional strap points, most hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot) sell tarp clamp fittings that will attach to your cover without the need to sew in additional attaching grommets. They are effective..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I have a Duraguard half cover and since I installed the Rivco flag mounts and flags it no longer fits the way it is supposed to. Which is ok as I want the Flags. I any thinking about buying a few large beach balls and blowing one up and leave under the cover to alleviate the pooling issue. The reason for multiple beach balls for me is I live in Florida and not sure how long they will last in the heat not blown up in the side covers.
    Thank you,
    Ray B.
    These are the states I have driven my Spyder Rt Limited too.

Mudflap -- Walmart
    Tricled Headlights and Fog lights -- valueaccessories.comRimsavers -- RimBladesUSA.com
    Showchrome Tiregard (TPMS) -- motorcycleid.com
    Front and side grilles -- CanAmSpyderAccessories
    Passenger arm rest -- Diamond R Accessories
    Rear axle caps -- Lamonster
    Magic Mirrors -- Lamonster
    Yellow and red running and blinker lights on fender --Show Chrome
    TRUNK-MOUNTED, DOUBLE FLAG HOLDER -- Rivco
    Rear Brake light for trunk -- Custom Dynamics
    Bumpskid w/led lights -- Spyderpops
    Seat cushion -- Airhawk
    Cup holders -- Drink2Go
    Ultragard-4-457BK-Black-Cover-Spyder -- Big Bike Parts