Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibration GONE

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration GONE

I just wanted to give a shout out to Roadster Renovations.

I had the dreaded 70MPH vibration in my 2018 RTL.

After doing a lot of research on these forums it came to my attention that it was a drive belt issue.

More research revealed that the cure to that vibration was a vibration dampener.

A few different brands are mentioned but I decided to go with the Roadster Renovations dampener.

Their dampener completely took all the vibration out of the Spyder.

I can now ride comfortably at 70+ mph.

Thanks, Roadster Renovations!
    2018 RT Limited White/Chrome.
    BlueSeaSky front & rear dash cam.
    USB plugs
    TechMount cellphone holder
    Squared Away laser alignment.
    BajaRon anti-sway bar and links.
    Dynojet
    Ceramic coated cat delete pipe

Spyder Garage

Hi!
    We will have to get together when we get back from Washington. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

my 18rt has the same issue at 71 to 73 is this work considered warrenty issue if it is so common?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfreddy View Post
    my 18rt has the same issue at 71 to 73 is this work considered warrenty issue if it is so common?
    Not from what I have read on here.
    Mine is due for the first service soon. I will ask them
    USB plugs
    Dynojet

Spyder Garage

Yes, joe!
    USB plugs
    Dynojet

Spyder Garage

Nope. BRP even sells one as an add-on, so they know about the issue. Of course their product is junk, bearing blew out. BRP upped the tension a while back trying to get rid of it. The only good, permanent solution is a belt dampener. Good news it is easy as heck to put on. Had mine installed two weeks after I bought my 2016 RTS. 35K miles no issues with it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

NO.
    But if you have the problem, try a small adjustment to the belt tension first.
    BRP spec's have come down in recent years.

Spyder Garage

Also check the overall belt tension with a Krickit 2. I run my belt at 170 lbs. along with a tensioner. I have no vibration, and the whine that appeared between 40-50 mph which is common among the F3 units is gone too.
    2017 F3-S Daytona , Yellow and black

Spyder Garage

Default Doc’s vibration damper installed in less than an hr.

got it out of the mail box opened it and looked it over read the instructions and an hr. after that I was test riding around the block and a quick recheck and I was putting the Tupperware back on.
    As for the ride no more of that fine vibration that puts your feet to sleep. Gone! Now when you back off the throttle around 70 no more vibration, smooth as a baby’s behind....

Thanks Doc . Love the alignment jig !C8BD8803-F56A-40D9-A920-A61337B656D1.jpg08DAA45B-727F-4E85-B5F4-6F0BE19563FC.jpg

Spyder Garage

Same issue with my 18RT. Belt dampener is not a warranty item, however I raised enough hell with my dealer and BRP that they installed one at no charge.
    BRP is well aware of the situation and should warranty that. Again, insist with your dealer. Should be FREE....
    Now some on this board would rather buy an after market. The one installed on my bike is from BRP and falls under the bike warranty. A year and a half and 8000 smooth miles...
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSpyder View Post
    I just wanted to give a shout out to Roadster Renovations.

I had the dreaded 70MPH vibration in my 2018 RTL.

After doing a lot of research on these forums it came to my attention that it was a drive belt issue.

More research revealed that the cure to that vibration was a vibration dampener.

A few different brands are mentioned but I decided to go with the Roadster Renovations dampener.

Their dampener completely took all the vibration out of the Spyder.

I can now ride comfortably at 70+ mph.

Thanks, Roadster Renovations!
    Do you know what your belt tension is checking it with the Krikut gage and with your tire on the ground?

Spyder Garage

I think that BRP has it as an accessory, otherwise they would be facing a lot of money sunk into warranty claims. This way they aren't liable.

I have to say that I was really disappointed when I drove my 2019 away from the dealership. I had the dreaded vibration from 62 to 77. It seemed to lessen after after 300 miles, but still was pronounced enough to get me motivated to buy the damper.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    I think that BRP has it as an accessory, otherwise they would be facing a lot of money sunk into warranty claims. This way they aren't liable.

I have to say that I was really disappointed when I drove my 2019 away from the dealership. I had the dreaded vibration from 62 to 77. It seemed to lessen after after 300 miles, but still was pronounced enough to get me motivated to buy the damper.
    Howdy;

Now this is causing me some concern. The Only accessory I see in BRP (Canada's) site is an 'Idler pulley Service kit': https://www.brp.ca/on-road/shop/spyd...er-pulley.html.

Of course - no pics and it's too inexpensive to be the full accessory (?). Anyone have a part number fer the alleged OEM full tensioner handy? I see reference to: 219800431, buy I fear, after perusing parts site, the 'idler' isn't related to the 'tensioner'. Gahhhh.

I will ask about this on Saturday.

Lastly - I will be sure to ask if the new 'lower' belt tension spec was applied @ PDI, and what that spec is - problem is I'm not certain they will translate that into a 'Krikit II standard' value I can relate to, lol. BTW - I bought one o' them puppies - wonder if I should bring it to pish off the tech. Nah... that sounds counter-productive,lol.

I really, really don't want to get halfway home, only to discover I'm ryding a vibrator, and having to turn around for them to tell me it's 'normal'. That dawg won't hunt, aight.

Perhaps I should bring the KII and the spec I want to see (~170 lbs ), so they realize they's not dealin' wif some clueless coprolite Millennial wif a man-bun (a.k.a. Millennial Mullet).

2019 F3L. Yep - I realize this is the RT fer'm - but this afflicts the other models as well. My bad.

Thanks and Cheers
    E

Spyder Garage

As I've read some tales of people taking a well tuned and not vibrating machine into the dealership, and coming away with their belt tension too high and now vibrating. My suggestion is if you own a Spyder, learn how to at least adjust the belt tension and align the belt. It's really not that hard, and barring physical infirmity almost anyone can accomplish this task. The hardest part is getting the correct torque on the axle nut. Apparently some dealers are stuck on stupid about the "correct" belt tension.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some are also stuck on stupid regarding axle nut torque.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    I really, really don't want to get halfway home, only to discover I'm ryding a vibrator, and having to turn around for them to tell me it's 'normal'. That dawg won't hunt, aight.
    I think you are making WAY too much of this.
    Not all owners even have or notice any vibration.
    Those that DO typically only have it in a fairly narrow range of speeds.....like 70 to 80 MPH.

So....until you get this sorted out......if you do have a vibration, either slow down or speed up a bit and it likely will go away.
    Or just ignore it. It is NOT damaging anything.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I think you are making WAY too much of this.
    Not all owners even have or notice any vibration.
    Those that DO typically only have it in a fairly narrow range of speeds.....like 70 to 80 MPH.

So....until you get this sorted out......if you do have a vibration, either slow down or speed up a bit and it likely will go away.
    Or just ignore it. It is NOT damaging anything.
    Howdy;

I do hear ye, sir. Thankee fer that.

I'm blessed/cursed with an over-abundance of curiosity, and am predisposed to having thangs that Don't happen to most folks, happen to ME. lol. Hence I always plan ahead, to at least attempt to get out in front of it. Sometimes this even works, lol.

To be clear - the repeated advice on this site to just go ryde yer shiney new conveyance and not incur WFFL or be overly-concerned with things that *might* happen - but usually don't - is most appreciated.

So far I've limited myself to the axle nut socket, a KII, some mesh riding gear, a UFIT component, oil and o-rings. So far, lol.

Regards & Cheers
    E

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I had the ‘Million Mile’ dampener from Roadster Renovations on my F3T and it failed at less than 50,000 miles, wrecked my belt. I sent Doc a photo and his reply was a thumbs up emoji. Not a happy customer here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

You ran this eight years for 50,000 miles? How long has anyone else had Docs ‘Million Mile’ dampener last?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I had the ‘Million Mile’ dampener from Roadster Renovations on my F3T and it failed at less than 50,000 miles, wrecked my belt. I sent Doc a photo and his reply was a thumbs up emoji. Not a happy customer here.
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post
    You ran this eight years for 50,000 miles? How long has anyone else had Docs ‘Million Mile’ dampener last?
    No, I ran it 1 1/2 years for 50,000 miles.

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Didn't Docs tensioner warranty say "Entire kit will be warranted against defects and roller and bearings will be 2 years, regardless of mileage"?
    Maybe he didn't know you had 1-1/2 year with this failure.
    No, I ran it 1 1/2 years for 50,000 miles.
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was it just the roller that failed, or did the bearings fail causing the roller to fail also?

Spyder Garage

Ms SpyderAnn01,

Did Doc get back with you on this? I just put one of these on my bike, and I'd like to know how this goes.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post
    Didn't Docs tensioner warranty say "Entire kit will be warranted against defects and roller and bearings will be 2 years, regardless of mileage"?
    Maybe he didn't know you had 1-1/2 year with this failure.
    I don’t recall what his warranty said but I do know he refers to it as a ‘million mile’ tensioner
    QUOTE=2dogs;1452466]Was it just the roller that failed, or did the bearings fail causing the roller to fail also?[/QUOTE]. The bearing failed

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    Ms SpyderAnn01,

Did Doc get back with you on this? I just put one of these on my bike, and I'd like to know how this goes.
    As I said when I sent him a picture and told him what happened his reply was a thumbs up emoji. I then asked if he had repair parts or if the unit was junk and he never responded. Joe sent him an email and he has not responded to that either.

2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

just got the 3k service and 3 wheel align, bike handles much much better, but now have the 70 mph vibration, sunday I am adj belt and dropping on my new doc belt dampner, will report back after