Spyder Garage

Default Total new guy, advice, comments requested

I am really interested in the Ryker for local travel, fun riding.

However, I am 71, in pretty good shape, that's one thing.

Second, I have never been on or driven a motorcycle. Closest was a few hours on a moped. OK, people, please do not laugh toooooo much!

I am scheduled for the Can Am Rider class on 24 June to get my drivers license upgraded.

Just looking for thoughts, comments from otehr in my age group, situation, etc.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WallyM View Post

Second, I have never been on or driven a motorcycle. Closest was a few hours on a moped. OK, people, please do not laugh toooooo much!

I am scheduled for the Can Am Rider class on 24 June to get my drivers license upgraded.

" NEVER been on a Motorcycle " is really a GOOD thing ….. you don't have anything to UN-LEARN …… because riding a Two wheel Mtc. is NOTHING like driving a Spyder …. my advice is - drive it the same as you would your car and you have a much, much easier time with this ……. A lot of folks complain about the steering, they claim it's twitchy …. NOPE …. It's twitchy only if you have a DEATH grip on the handlebars ….. I No longer hold the grips with my entire hand ( closed around the grip ) …. I keep my hands open and just GUIDE the bars with pressure on my Palms ( for Normal driving ) in the twistie's where I'm going a lot faster I do grip the grips but only lightly …………. The Spyder handles in a very unique fashion and it will take time to get completely comfortable …. But it will happen. … my advice is, to stick to light traffic roads for the few hundred miles, and just Ride to learn the Spyder.... Don't use it for recreation / fun until you feel very comfortable …. most new riders have problem s/ accidents within the first 25-50 miles …. the less you have to think about while driving the quicker you will master the Odd techniques of driving it ….. & ….ride safe - ride happy...………...Mike

Spyder Garage

I agree with BlueKnight911. Not having any motorcycle experience is a real plus with the Spyder. There are some things that you will need to learn. But the class you are signed up for is specifically designed to give you what you need. It is easier to learn something than to have to take the additional step of un-learning it first.

As with any new vehicle. You need to respect it. But it is not healthy to fear it. The 2nd thing I learned is that the 1st thing you need to learn with any new vehicle is how to make it STOP!. Not just have someone tell you, or assume that you know. Make sure you DO IT a few times right off. It's the 1st thing you need to be able to do without thinking about it. Believe me. I, and many others, have discovered this wisdom the hard way.

Good luck! You are in for a GREAT experience!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Wally...

The class on the 24th will give you insight as to whether it is something for you or not. I suggest that you watch some motorcycle safety videos on youtube. While you won't have to unlearn (2) wheel stuff, you are probably lacking in safety awareness. A one day class is not going to give you enough. It doesn't hurt us old pros to get a refresh now and then either.

BTW: Daughter started a couple years ago on 49cc scooter, tooling around her college town. She now has a Yamaha 650 V-Star Custom Raven. Have to start somewhere!

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

At 57 I have been riding 2 wheels since I was 15. Recently traded in the Bike for the Rally Ryker. Pretty happy so far. There is a lot more room for error on 3 wheels vs 2. I will tell you this, there is nothing that rider course will teach you for real on road conditions. So with that said, just remember to ride like no one sees you and you will be better off. Even on a trike, people still don't register in their brains what it is and they will pull out and turn right in front of you. My son just took the class but once again, he has no on road experience. So when he comes out and rides my Ryker I'm worried until he gets back home.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dondje View Post
    Wally...

The class on the 24th will give you insight as to whether it is something for you or not. I suggest that you watch some motorcycle safety videos on youtube. While you won't have to unlearn (2) wheel stuff, you are probably lacking in safety awareness. A one day class is not going to give you enough. It doesn't hurt us old pros to get a refresh now and then either.

BTW: Daughter started a couple years ago on 49cc scooter, tooling around her college town. She now has a Yamaha 650 V-Star Custom Raven. Have to start somewhere!

Regards,

Don
    The Classes here are 2 1/2 days. my sons was Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. But agreed, no on road experience with the class unfortunately.

Spyder Garage

Default Not to worry...

They got you covered above except maybe the age you mentioned. Your at a perfect age for the fun you will get out of the future ryde. Myself have a few years on you and started with the spyder about 7 years ago and can still stay the course with no loss in speed or agility... as far as ryding... hope your out there soon and enjoying the whole "Y" experience....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I'm 78 and ride 2009 SE 5 GO FOR IT.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, had not thought about no two wheel being a plus, even though my whole reason for the Ryker is steering like a car, auto transmission, foot brake. Maybe my word recreational was not quite right. I live in a rural area close to a small town, so, pretty much going to the coffee shop, riding close to home, perhaps a couple towns over for a meeting, not off road. Though some say you may as well be off road because of the potholes in some town streets.

Spyder Garage

Have you ever ridden a jet ski, or off-road 4-wheeler. Probably similar to both. Easy as pie to ride.

Spyder Garage

I am 77 my wife is 71 we have 2 spyders and ride all the time. It will be more fun if you can find someone to ride with.

Spyder Garage

I too am 71. Been riding 50 years. Was unsure about going to a 3 wheeler. The only trouble I have is remembering where I parked the damn thing. HAHA

Spyder Garage

Pretty similiar story for me except I am 52. Rode a couple of time on a dirt bike when i was 12 or 13 but that was it. Took the CAN-AM Rider course and purchased me a Ryker Rally about a week later. I am enjoying my Ryker a lot.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyber2nd View Post
    Pretty similiar story for me except I am 52. Rode a couple of time on a dirt bike when i was 12 or 13 but that was it. Took the CAN-AM Rider course and purchased me a Ryker Rally about a week later. I am enjoying my Ryker a lot.
    Same for me. My Ryker was a present to myself for my 50th birthday.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I agree with BlueKnight911. Not having any motorcycle experience is a real plus with the Spyder. There are some things that you will need to learn. But the class you are signed up for is specifically designed to give you what you need. It is easier to learn something than to have to take the additional step of un-learning it first.

As with any new vehicle. You need to respect it. But it is not healthy to fear it. The 2nd thing I learned is that the 1st thing you need to learn with any new vehicle is how to make it STOP!. Not just have someone tell you, or assume that you know. Make sure you DO IT a few times right off. It's the 1st thing you need to be able to do without thinking about it. Believe me. I, and many others, have discovered this wisdom the hard way.

Good luck! You are in for a GREAT experience!
    I agree with Ron the most important thing to learn is how to stop. Learning how to ride is easy. You shouldnt have to think how to stop it should be second nature. Get your self into situations where you have to make sudden stops so you get comfortable. You have to be able to stop in the moment of panic which most new riders fail to do. Also learn to let go off throttle in the moment of panic
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

Wally, what you have seen so far is good advice. I don't think age will be a factor. Just remember to ride like everyone is out to get you and be more aware than normal, especially at intersections. I don''t mean to scare you but you have to be more aware on a 2 or 3 wheeler than in a cage. Since you live in a rural area you will get the hang of the Ryker in no time and you will have so much fun. I have owned a Spyder since 2013 and have over 65,000 miles of smiles. I have ridden all over the US and Canada. People that have never ridden a 2 or 3 wheeler just don't get it!!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red