Spyder Garage

Default Considering a spyder

Forgot I even had an account on the site already. Must be a good site cause I tried to register anew i liked it so much reading.
    So, slight chance I will buy a spyder though need to do some new test rides. They look sweet, well the 2018 RT Limited Chrome ASPHALT GREY METALLIC hurts my eyes cause that color to me is so so nice.
    A few questions...
    1. Like many I am guessing, could be wrong, I’m worried about all the recalls even I figure in the 2018 models.
    2. Does anyone feel the full body wrap over the engine on the LT is an issue (boiling gas tanks...) or other issues with LT line?
    3. I owned the first year of the fuel injected 2011 Royal enfield Bullet 500 single with a Kozi sidecar...should have kept that combo darn it. Though the bike was hard over the bumps due to the side car rig. Well at least one could sort of say they only had two lines of wheels that one had to keep from hitting the bumps in the road
    With a side car it stays upright if you do right, right hand turns of course can fly the car. One has to put their body into the turns a bit, more on right side I would say.
    I have concerns about how much one has to lean their body into turns on a spyder, be it a LT model or a say a F3 limited.
    4. Does the engine kick off heat to the rider on the F3 Limited? I do not like heat, it is darn hot enough in Florida as it is during the summer months.

I realize the rider has to make the call though above are a few questions that come to mind. I like the front storage of the LT, and the front running lights down the front trunk though dislike the lack of storage in the LT back trunk. Maybe riding up higher would be more comfortable though when riding straight less fun in the turns.

The F3 limited with the rear, what I call normal, trunk which holds two helmets seems very nice and you seem to sit lower which might make it easier to lean with your body into turns though seems you give up the large front trunk storage and front trunk extra running lights. Figure the more lights the better so others see you.

And yes, considering only a left over 2018 due to the savings being offered presently. Saw the Ryker and they do seem sweet and priced right. Heck maybe that little 600 would be a fun ride with the drive shaft instead of a belt. Will be 62 this summer and can still hold up my 05 r1200rt without issue though it was nice to sit on the sidecar rig and not have to deal with keeping it upright. Heck I even enjoy a aprilia mana 800gt automatic motorcycle i have and indeed if i get a spyder it will be the semi-automatic one. At least that would be the plan. I do like being able to store stuff when I ride be in around town or across the state or out of state riding.
    Ride safe
    Last edited by 3wheeler4me; 06-10-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

1. Recalls are not a problem, only year with real issues was 2013 they were fixed. 2. Full body wrap is not an issue Spyder RT have been around since 2010. 3. Forget about leaning this is 3 wheels lean to the inside if you like but you have to turn the handle bars. 4. Yes there will be some heat as with any bike. You need to try the different models they ride different F3 is more laid back feet to the front, the RT is more up right feet straight down sitting position. the Ryker is low much smaller machine but fun with less stuff on it. You need to go to your local dealer and check them out and test drive them. Left over 2018 is probably your best deal if you wanted to by new. there is a new one for sale in the for sale by owner area of the forum you might want to look at that. good luck shopping.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the input. Maybe I am not understanding correctly though my thought, even though one turns the bars into the turn (left to go left), is that after a certain speed your body will want to fly off the right side of the bike thus I was figuring you need to hug the left side a bit when turning at speed. Well that plus you probably are not taking turns as fast as a two wheel motorcycle...my guess. No flames please.

Hum, i do like the sit up and beg layout of my bmw with my feet down directly below me more then i am thinking i would like feet out. Though did have a 93 Electra glide and loved those stock floor boards, the boards were positioned just the right amount in front of you. If the F3 Limited was like that old harley floor board position that might work so long as it would not cause a press point on my tail bone.

Failed to ask, thinking that new 2018 instrument cluster is getting sorted out with each update. Also, maybe the stero sound on the F3 Limited and LT would be equal. Some did post it was not as good on the newer years.
    Thanks again
    Last edited by 3wheeler4me; 06-10-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well once you get use to it you may try leaning into the corners and some real hotrodders may even all most stand on the inside peg pulling it inside but thats another story. You just need to ride one for a bit some people say they felt like it was going to throw them off, I never felt that way I use my legs against the side or lean a little, as far as speed I go around corners a lot faster now than when I had my HD (two wheeler) I carry more speed onto the corner with the Spyder then I did with the two wheeler. I think if you ever get a spyder will not regret it. Driving in traffic or when there are lots of stops and red light I just lean back on my back rest with my arms folded waiting for the light to change or traffic to move while listing to the radio feet never hit the ground.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Good information above.

One other thing to consider, as it is where I came about a Spyder. I got too damaged to safely ride a 2 wheeler, so three wheels or quitting riding were in order. Quitting is not an option. Once you've got it boiled down to this point, the questions become; 1. Sidehack?, 2. Normal Trike, 3. Y or reverse Trike, or 4. 3 wheel car type thing (Slingshot).

I did all the comparisons, and the stability models on the 2 wheels in front was what finally sold me. Watching some folks herd this big beast through corners at a pace that will amaze you leaves a certain sense of safety for what I use it for. Very stable at the speeds I go, even when I do some spirited riding.

So, is your decision easy. Have to have it? Or harder, want to have it? either way, either form factor, RT or F3, Spyders are a blast and I'll take the good with the bad, same as any machine.
    Last edited by h0gr1der; 06-10-2019 at 08:01 PM. Reason: typo
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I am an old guy who transitioned from two wheels to Can Am Spyder RTs back in 2010. Traded my 2014 RTL for 2011 Harley Shrine Edition Front Wheel trike last year from one of my Shrine Brothers. He always wanted the Spyder so we worked a deal. Was able to trade it in for my 2018 RTL. When you are ready for 3 wheels, I personally think the RTL is the best choice!
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3wheeler4me View Post
    Forgot I even had an account on the site already. Must be a good site cause I tried to register anew i liked it so much reading.
    So, slight chance I will buy a spyder though need to do some new test rides. They look sweet, well the 2018 RT Limited Chrome ASPHALT GREY METALLIC hurts my eyes cause that color to me is so so nice.
    A few questions...
    1. Like many I am guessing, could be wrong, I’m worried about all the recalls even I figure in the 2018 models.
    2. Does anyone feel the full body wrap over the engine on the LT is an issue (boiling gas tanks...) or other issues with LT line?
    3. I owned the first year of the fuel injected 2011 Royal enfield Bullet 500 single with a Kozi sidecar...should have kept that combo darn it. Though the bike was hard over the bumps due to the side car rig. Well at least one could sort of say they only had two lines of wheels that one had to keep from hitting the bumps in the road
    With a side car it stays upright if you do right, right hand turns of course can fly the car. One has to put their body into the turns a bit, more on right side I would say.
    I have concerns about how much one has to lean their body into turns on a spyder, be it a LT model or a say a F3 limited.
    4. Does the engine kick off heat to the rider on the F3 Limited? I do not like heat, it is darn hot enough in Florida as it is during the summer months.

I realize the rider has to make the call though above are a few questions that come to mind. I like the front storage of the LT, and the front running lights down the front trunk though dislike the lack of storage in the LT back trunk. Maybe riding up higher would be more comfortable though when riding straight less fun in the turns.

The F3 limited with the rear, what I call normal, trunk which holds two helmets seems very nice and you seem to sit lower which might make it easier to lean with your body into turns though seems you give up the large front trunk storage and front trunk extra running lights. Figure the more lights the better so others see you.

And yes, considering only a left over 2018 due to the savings being offered presently. Saw the Ryker and they do seem sweet and priced right. Heck maybe that little 600 would be a fun ride with the drive shaft instead of a belt. Will be 62 this summer and can still hold up my 05 r1200rt without issue though it was nice to sit on the sidecar rig and not have to deal with keeping it upright. Heck I even enjoy a aprilia mana 800gt automatic motorcycle i have and indeed if i get a spyder it will be the semi-automatic one. At least that would be the plan. I do like being able to store stuff when I ride be in around town or across the state or out of state riding.
    Ride safe
    Heat's not really an issue, these are water-cooled engines. I haven't noticed it on my RTL at all. Am digging the SE transmission.

Leaning? - it really boils down to how aggressive you like to take corners. A little body lean helps, but it's for comfort if for anything. There is a vehicle stability system that'll attempt to stop you from overdoing it, but I've yet to trigger it.

The biggest issue you'll encounter is learning to *lightly* rest your arms on the steering handlebars. The habits of weight-shifting and such from two-wheeled cycles can cause you to overcompensate, giving rise to a shifty steering feel. Take about 100 miles to get it right.