Spyder Garage

Default Sadddlebag Issues

My wife has a 2018 RTL. A couple of weeks ago the left saddlebag wouldn't open so she took it to the dealer. They adjusted both saddlebags and now the right one continually pops open. 8 times in a 100 mile ride to be exact. When we took it to the dealer on Saturday, the tech said she wasn't slamming it hard enough. He closed the saddlebag and said that was all he could do. Needless to say my wife is usually a pretty calm girl. They are installing a new rear tire this Thursday and I think my wife may rip him a new one if they can't fix the issue. Not a real confidence inspiring feeling when you dump the contents out on the rode at 70 MPH.

Now for the question: On a lot of side opening saddlebags (Panniers) they install a strap on the inside to keep the luggage in place. Does anyone make an aftermarket kit to do this?
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Might try this if you work on the bike yourself. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ble-Adjustment You can also fine many different types of cargo net stuff here http://store.valueaccessories.net/luggage-5.aspx and other places. Just click on the links I gave you.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

sounds like they tensioned up the cable a little too much. Hoping to avoid a return visit ?
    IT really is a simple thing, and I know you'll get it sorted out.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Might try this if you work on the bike yourself. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ble-Adjustment You can also fine many different types of cargo net stuff here http://store.valueaccessories.net/luggage-5.aspx and other places. Just click on the links I gave you.
    Thank you for the video. It does look like it is easy enough to do.

Value Accessories has luggage but nothing to actually secure the luggage in the bag. I may have to come up with my own solution.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There are two different sets of cargo nets there also that bolt in using the same bolts that are already there on the side bags
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I read somewhere that you should always LOCK the trunk/side bags when moving. If you're doing this and they still pop open, I would see the dealer.
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have to lean on the bag lid or lightly punch the lid when holding the rear latch and the lids pop open. Have yet to have them pop open on their own. Don't think I'll get them adjusted as I like it that they stay closed. Might try locking them while riding.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I have to lean on the bag lid or lightly punch the lid when holding the rear latch and the lids pop open. Have yet to have them pop open on their own. Don't think I'll get them adjusted as I like it that they stay closed. Might try locking them while riding.
    Originally that was the issue with the right bag. It wouldn't open without pushing on the lid. I took the back end apart last night and adjusted the cable. Hopefully I have it fixed.

Locking the bag all the time is a pain in the ass and shouldn't be required.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    My wife has a 2018 RTL. A couple of weeks ago the left saddlebag wouldn't open so she took it to the dealer. They adjusted both saddlebags and now the right one continually pops open. 8 times in a 100 mile ride to be exact. When we took it to the dealer on Saturday, the tech said she wasn't slamming it hard enough. He closed the saddlebag and said that was all he could do. Needless to say my wife is usually a pretty calm girl. They are installing a new rear tire this Thursday and I think my wife may rip him a new one if they can't fix the issue. Not a real confidence inspiring feeling when you dump the contents out on the rode at 70 MPH.

Now for the question: On a lot of side opening saddlebags (Panniers) they install a strap on the inside to keep the luggage in place. Does anyone make an aftermarket kit to do this?
    I feel yout pain .... Look at this E-bay item #252626422909 ….. I think it will solve your problem and your anxiety …… sorry I can't do LINKS ...…….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I feel yout pain .... Look at this E-bay item #252626422909 ….. I think it will solve your problem and your anxiety …… sorry I can't do LINKS ...…….. Mike
    Yah.........NO. LOL

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yah.........NO. LOL
    I apologize, if that offended your tastes..... it won't happen again ….EVER ...…......Mike

Spyder Garage

If you read the manual you should bump with your hip after closing. I lock my trunk no matter what. Have inside luggage and nets that use oem bolts work great. Nothing works better IMHO then lock.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Locking the bag all the time is a pain in the ass and shouldn't be required.
    I don't think that will help anyway. If the latch of the saddlebag is not adjusted correctly locking the trunk won't help. All the lock does is prevents one from pulling the release handles. There is no direct connection between the lock and the latches.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Mac is right. 8 screws, slip off the back panel, adjust the cables, put back together. Call me(number below) and I’ll walk you through the entire process. Pretty easy. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

That video near the top is a great help. I did notice the part trying to show the adjuster was a bit on the blurry side though. I had to adjust my right bag last year and took a few pictures. Hopefully this collage shows some parts a little more clearly. I also found that getting the door damper out of the way helped get to that one screw behind the lid. (red arrow)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I apologize, if that offended your tastes..... it won't happen again ….EVER ...…......Mike
    My skin is quite a bit thicker than that! LOL