Spyder Garage

Default Rear wheel bearings

I can find nothing in the owners manual about when to check or change out the rear wheel bearings. Should a dealer always check if they change the rear tire? I have 39,000 miles on my F3 and wonder if the bearings need to be greased or replaced.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

The bearings are sealed and you would need to remove them in order to repack them. Yes a good shop would check your bearings during a rear tire change. If you fo not trust that your dealer is doing this find another shop.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    I can find nothing in the owners manual about when to check or change out the rear wheel bearings. Should a dealer always check if they change the rear tire? I have 39,000 miles on my F3 and wonder if the bearings need to be greased or replaced.
    My dealer / mechanic checks bearings and sprockets etc with every tire change. I just had rear wheel bearings and Cush drive pucks done at 86000 km. Only outer sprocket bearing showed a little rust. I had it done as a preventive maintenance thing in prep for longer ride.
    This was on a 2014 RTL.
    2020 RTL - Petrol Blue Metalic / Black, dark model.
    Colour match rear tail cover, Garmin GPS.
    Heated Ultra Comfort driver seat & backrest.
    LED headlamps, LED Front corner lamps and lower front LED lamp.
    Baja Ron sway bar.
    Ride Til You Rot!

Spyder Garage

Default With tire change unless.....

One should check them with each tire change as it is the easiest and best time to do so. If you develop some belt issues and vibrations issues you should check them. Most issues with the bearings come from belt tension and adjustment so keep those done properly and they will last a long time. I have 40,000+ and all good. Sealed bearing are simply replaced and not repacked. Many brands available.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The technician at the dealership where I have rear tires mounted inspects them every time. When I had a new tire installed at 55.6K miles before my long trip to CO I called the dealership to find out if they had all the parts in stock if mine were found to need replacing and they did not have all of 'em, so I had them order me a complete set. Mine were still good so each time I get another new tire, like once every two years, I'll throw the package of parts in the Spyder so of they're needed they're there. Would hate to have to do a 180 mile comeback if the parts guy didn't have all of them when the new tire was to go on.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I check my bearings every summer. At 70,000 miles the original bearings are doing good. My experiance my differ from yours. Happy Spydering. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    I check my bearings every summer. At 70,000 miles the original bearings are doing good. My experiance my differ from yours. Happy Spydering. Bruce
    Actually Bruce, I can't remember of hearing of a rear or front wheel bearing failure ….. I know lots of folks change them out frequently, but imho the failure rate is exceedingly small ……. Mike

Spyder Garage

We have seen several rear bearing failures. With the older 2 piece rear wheels they were much more common and bearing replacement was every 20k or so. Usually every other tire. With the newer wheels, the earliest failure I know of is in the 50k range. BRP still recommends 28k service interval on the rear bearings but I think its overkill with the newer one piece wheels.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

The problem I've experienced with them is the bearings eventually becoming a loose fit in their bore, both the pulley double-row bearing and the hub bearing not locked in with the large internal nut.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.