Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

You can do what you want but I feel really sorry for the EMT who has to treat you. And the tow truck driver who has to wash your skin off the roadway.

I don’t plan on getting in an accident when I get behind the wheel of my car but I wear my seatbelt just in case, same goes when I get on the Spyder.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

There are only 2 kinds of Motorcycle Riders. Those that have been down, and those who have not been down YET. I also have been down, several times, but never broke any bones. I went down on my 1982 Yamaha XS-1100 on an off road Trail when I hit a pot hole and got scuffed up pretty bad. I went down with my wife on my BSA 650, but we never got hurt. We both went down on rented Scooter in The Bahamas when it reared up and dumped us on the hot asphalt. I was wearing Jeans, but my wife was wearing shorts and she got burnt with the exhaust pipes on her leg, plus some road rash. I never ride my Harley or Spyder with out having all skin covered, and with Boots, no matter how hot it gets. I cringe every time I see some Dude riding his Harley Road King wearing shorts, Tee shirt and Tennis shoes!
    007james

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    No, not armor pants. Happened way back in 81. Never heard of armor pants back then. I rode bike to work when I was on day shift. Winter time and it was cold. I was wearing long johns and heavy jeans with combat boots. Car hit me from the left side. Slid a long way and broke both legs too. The road rash was not the worse thing I got out of it. Armor pants or even leather would not have helped with the broken bones. Just FYI, I was wearing a Bell Full Face helmet and not much head injury. The chin bar broke a couple teeth off and real sore, but no other head injuries.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey4201 View Post
    2015 rt
    Might as well pour hi octane on your cornflakes and finish off with a cigarette if your going to push your luck.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Dress for the crash, not for the ride...ATGATTx3
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

I ride "commando". But that's probably not what you're asking...
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    There are only 2 kinds of Motorcycle Riders. Those that have been down, and those who have not been down YET. I also have been down, several times, but never broke any bones. I went down on my 1982 Yamaha XS-1100 on an off road Trail when I hit a pot hole and got scuffed up pretty bad. I went down with my wife on my BSA 650, but we never got hurt. We both went down on rented Scooter in The Bahamas when it reared up and dumped us on the hot asphalt. I was wearing Jeans, but my wife was wearing shorts and she got burnt with the exhaust pipes on her leg, plus some road rash. I never ride my Harley or Spyder with out having all skin covered, and with Boots, no matter how hot it gets. I cringe every time I see some Dude riding his Harley Road King wearing shorts, Tee shirt and Tennis shoes!
    007james
    That's 2-wheelers. He's asking about a Spyder. You're not going to 'go down' on a Spyder.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's 2-wheelers. He's asking about a Spyder. You're not going to 'go down' on a Spyder.
    Get hit by a car or some other accident and come off of a Spyder the road is just as rough as it is when you drop a two wheeler. It won't slide out from under you, but there is not much holding you on it either. If you slide down the road very far, you will lose skin.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Get hit by a car or some other accident and come off of a Spyder the road is just as rough as it is when you drop a two wheeler. It won't slide out from under you, but there is not much holding you on it either. If you slide down the road very far, you will lose skin.
    I think losing skin will be the least of your worries if you are in a collision which ejects you from the Spyder. There are many, many posts on this forum that attest to the fact that the Spyder will protect the rider very well as long as the rider doesn't get ejected. In which case, as I say, skin abrasion is the least of your worries.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think losing skin will be the least of your worries if you are in a collision which ejects you from the Spyder. There are many, many posts on this forum that attest to the fact that the Spyder will protect the rider very well as long as the rider doesn't get ejected. In which case, as I say, skin abrasion is the least of your worries.
    Of course, if the accident has you riding the Spyder into a Florida swamp, there may be other things to worry about (e.g. alligators and pythons), but in either case wearing shorts or full protective gear probably isn't going to make much of a difference!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That is true, but you can somewhat protect yourself from road rash. You cannot protect yourself from broken bones and worse. I know about them. I have been hit by other vehicles twice and got serious injuries both times.

Spyder Garage

Of course, if the accident has you riding the Spyder into a Florida swamp, there may be other things to worry about (e.g. alligators and pythons), but in either case wearing shorts or full protective gear probably isn't going to make much of a difference!

Spyder Garage

Too old to grow skin grafts. ATGATT. Even in 90+ weather.
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Utah Pete,.......Doc Humphrey would differ from you. Revisit 3 months of his daily reports of his Wife’s riding with out protective clothing or helmet on her 3 WHEEL SPYDER, and how she FLEW off her Spyder, when she hit a deer, and ended up with severe ROAD RASH among other Traumas. If I recall, with out looking back, and digging up unpleasant posts & memories, while we were all praying with Doc., you were too busy complaining about Fellow Spyder Compadres praying with Doc for his Wife’s recovery to notice she WENT DOWN, and OFF a Spyder!
    007james

2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    Honestly, I sometimes wear shorts while riding my Spyder. If it's incredibly hot, I tend to think its better than boiling alive. On the other hand, I did once get a bad sunburn on my knee that way. When I put medicine on it after stopping for the the night, I accidentally glued my knees together. (My mother probably would have been happy about when I was a girl.)

YMMV

~Sandee~
    Actually, have you seen pics of " Bedouins " riding camels in the Sahara desert ??? ……. they look like they are dressed for the " Arctic " … but the temps are usually way over 100 F …….they have been doing this for thousands of years …. my guess is they understand how to protect from " HEAT " ….....jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Actually, have you seen pics of " Bedouins " riding camels in the Sahara desert ??? ……. they look like they are dressed for the " Arctic " … but the temps are usually way over 100 F …….they have been doing this for thousands of years …. my guess is they understand how to protect from " HEAT " ….....jmho …. Mike
    They are acclimated. Don't know what air conditioning is. I sleep with one blanket in the winter with window open. The ink in the printer has frozen. Buff with AC blasting in the summer. Tried riding in summer while working at White Sands MR - 110 in the shade, 160 rising off pavement, engine heat. Parked ride for most of summer. Before mesh gear.

Ride summer with tank, shorts, tennies in town - 35mph and under. Mesh riding gear and boots for hwy & fwy rides.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

OK, I've read every response here and agree with most everything except:

road rash being the least of your worries in a get off. keep in mind your skin is the largest organ of the body and when it is damaged, bodily resources can be taxed severely when trying to repair too many things at once. Open skin also sets one up for infections which further hinder healing of other injuries. Easiest solution is to wear protective gear.

someone mentioned long johns and jeans not being much protection in a slide on the road. interesting fact--at 70mph denim jeans will wear through to your skin in 0.3 seconds. after that it's your skin on the pavement. at 70mph you are going 102.6 feet per second; I'll let you do the rest of that math.

also mentioned were nomads of desert climates keeping themselves covered in 100+° heat. They don't do that out of being acclimated to it; they do it because keeping the skin protected from the sun is paramount to survival as their covering helps retain water lost to sweating. You may feel cooler when sweating with bare skin but the damage being done is more or less a slow boil which will eventually lead to heat stress, heat exhaustion and eventually heat stroke.

lastly, ask yourself if you would rather sweat or bleed.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

There are 'jeans' manufactured by Bull It, UK I think. I have a pair of the 6 second pants. The lining is kevlar. Really comfortable actually. They go with me on long rides. And speaking of long rides, today I rode to Rockwall, TX as it has the nearest In N Out burger to me. Riding on I-30 near Rockwall, I was running about 75 and was passed by a guy on a Harley. Jeans, short sleeve shirt and gym shoes. No helmet. But cool I'd guess. There is a useful French saying, Chacun a' son gout. Or each to his own boys.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pete, you are not serious with that right???
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    someone mentioned long johns and jeans not being much protection in a slide on the road. interesting fact--at 70mph denim jeans will wear through to your skin in 0.3 seconds. after that it's your skin on the pavement. at 70mph you are going 102.6 feet per second; I'll let you do the rest of that math.

also mentioned were nomads of desert climates keeping themselves covered in 100+° heat. They don't do that out of being acclimated to it; they do it because keeping the skin protected from the sun is paramount to survival as their covering helps retain water lost to sweating. You may feel cooler when sweating with bare skin but the damage being done is more or less a slow boil which will eventually lead to heat stress, heat exhaustion and eventually heat stroke.
    You hit the pavement at 70mph. From that moment you are slowing, so you don't travel the 102.6 in a second. Good jeans can make it through to the stop. Been there, done that.

I didn't say they "do that out of being acclimated to it." My insinuation was that they can tolerate doing it because they are acclimated to it. They have to retain water because it is such short supply. Been a welder in the dessert. I make sure water is not in short supply no matter what I am wearing or not wearing. Sweating is good for dissipating heat buildup!

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Hey, I have an idea! Just do what you want to do (free country) and lets just be happy and nice to each other okayyy........
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Even if you dont hit anything or fall off the bike all the wind that hit your knees will have some health implications in the long run and if you have arthritis you will feel immediate effects.
    2015 Canam Spyder F3-S SE6
    Detachable Passenger backrest #219400703
    Gauge Spoiler #219400531
    Blue Ridge Windshield #219400746
    Hood stripes decal kit #219400711
    F3 Idler Pulley #219800431 / Lamonster roller upgrade
    Bajaron SwayBar
    Elka Stage 2 rear shock
    Arc LED fog lights
    Lamonster F3 bar clamp with Quad-lock phone mount
    Foam Hand Grip Covers
    Tufskinz Peel & Stick Tank Protector Pad (Glossy doomed carbon)

Spyder Garage

Real world, I'd have no objection to shorts on a quick jaunt a mile or two down the road to grab lunch or pick up something at the market. To really RIDE. Never.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    I ride "commando". But that's probably not what you're asking...
    Nope, but it's definitely more than I wanted to know!

Spyder Garage

Living in southern Arizona, we get our share of heat. In summer I wear a silver/gray mesh suit with armor. If moving at all, it's definitely cooler than jeans and a tee-shirt (in the daytime at least).
    I have caught bugs, bees, gravel, etc. on my person when riding. The start that will give you could cause problems in itself.
    Wouldn't ride without a helmet and face shield any more (I did about 100 years ago when I had no sense).

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't - but that's just me.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3