Spyder Garage

Default Questions about Ryker

Hey all,

I'm considering getting a Ryker and wanted to hear thoughts from people that actually own one. A majority of YouTube reviews appear to be test rides.

I'm also interested in knowing what kinds of issues people are having and how reliable this will be. I've heard there's issues with it drifting around when going straight, is this really a problem?

I'd be coming from a maxi scooter. I'm primarily interested in the increased stability and speed while I understand I'm sacrificing fuel mileage, storage, and larger size.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcl1 View Post
    Hey all,

I'm considering getting a Ryker and wanted to hear thoughts from people that actually own one. A majority of YouTube reviews appear to be test rides.

I'm also interested in knowing what kinds of issues people are having and how reliable this will be. I've heard there's issues with it drifting around when going straight, is this really a problem?

I'd be coming from a maxi scooter. I'm primarily interested in the increased stability and speed while I understand I'm sacrificing fuel mileage, storage, and larger size.
    I've got about 700 miles on my 600 ACE and I've noticed there is a difference between the Ryker and my last Triglide. On the Triglide there is only one steering wheel and it doesn't straddle the center of the lane, so the ruts left and right of the lane center didn't have a noticeable affect. However, with the Ryker the two steering wheels straddle the center of the lane and track in the ruts created over time, while the rear wheel rides the crown of the lane. Consequently as you are going down the road the right or left wheel may try to ride up the crown of the lane. After a few miles you get used to it and start allowing it to track where it wants to go. If you took a Ryker out on an airstrip, where there is no crown to the lane, it would probably track straight down the runway. I don't give it a second thought any longer.

Hope this helps. They are fun machines

Spyder Garage

1st. thing to me is get M2 Shocks takes care of all your stability problems. 2nd get Baja Ron's front sway bar. Storage wait aftermarket will catch with bags. If you are handy build your own.Ryker 9.jpg Reliable only time will tell BUT all of these part are already out in the dirt and snow. 3700 miles on mine.

Spyder Garage

Same issue on every Spyder, not specific to Rykers. I've gotten used to the "float" and compare it to driving my dad's old Caddy. Some rougher back country roads can make the ride a bit more jittery, but again, I've learned to compensate, mostly.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

24000 miles on a Spyder RS and its been reliable. 420 miles on a Ryker 900 Rally. So far so good. In my opinion the Ryker front end handles like a Spyder. I will say the Sypder front suspension seems more "plush". Either way, an upgraded swaybar is a must to get rid of the "floating" front end feeling when corning in my opinion. If you fee like the bike is wondering on a straight stretch of road then I'd check tire pressure and alignment. I have had no straight line wandering issues with either the Ryker or Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Which do you have? I'm trying to decide between 600, 900 abs rally. Coming from a scooter 600 sounds like it's enough, but 900 sounds like it'll retain better value. Rally seems like too much, since I doubt I'll go off road or use rally mode.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcl1 View Post
    Which do you have? I'm trying to decide between 600, 900 abs rally. Coming from a scooter 600 sounds like it's enough, but 900 sounds like it'll retain better value. Rally seems like too much, since I doubt I'll go off road or use rally mode.
    I've been riding Harleys for years. I got rid of my TriGlide a couple years ago, but started missing the ride. The Ryker 600 isn't in the same ball bark as the TriGlide, but I haven't been disappointed it was a quarter of the price of a Triglide. I kind of consider it the Sportster of the Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KID Ryker View Post
    1st. thing to me is get M2 Shocks takes care of all your stability problems. 2nd get Baja Ron's front sway bar. Storage wait aftermarket will catch with bags. If you are handy build your own.Ryker 9.jpg Reliable only time will tell BUT all of these part are already out in the dirt and snow. 3700 miles on mine.
    Personally, I think the sway bar will have a bigger effect that the shocks but I plan to do both. Already ordered the BajaRon bar, will like to do the M2 or Elka shocks next year.

I noticed you have the BRP Sport Windscreen, how do you like it?
    2019 Spyder F3-T, white

Spyder Garage

Over 700 miles on my 600 Ace. Plenty of power for me - rydes great - no stability issues and corners like a limpet!

No issues at all - was concerned about an engine whine when hot but I believe this to be normal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RandyL View Post
    Personally, I think the sway bar will have a bigger effect that the shocks but I plan to do both. Already ordered the BajaRon bar, will like to do the M2 or Elka shocks next year.

I noticed you have the BRP Sport Windscreen, how do you like it?
    I am 5'8" I think the BRP windshield works great.

Spyder Garage

If you are going for the 900 ACE and are thinking about putting a rack or passenger seat on it then go for the Rally if you can find one. The extras you get with the Rally well make up for the additional cost of it and it's only $1000 more. Plus you get the adjustable shocks so you can tune the handling in and not need the Baja Ron sway bar, plus the Rally sits a couple of inches higher than the standard one.

If you want to know what the best accessory I got for mine it was the comfort seat, and I mean it is a comfort seat.

Good luck with what ever you do and get.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Hey folks,

I am new to the forum, this is my first post.

I too am considering a Ryker Rally, but have some questions about riding it any distance. I typically ride my Harley Road King 125-175 miles on a Saturday or Sunday (the only time I can ride). For each ride I typically run 20-25% of the time at 70 mph on the expressway, 20-25% stop and go (getting in and out of town), and the rest running 55-65 mph on two lane highways. Am I going to be able to do that on the Ryker? I watched a Youtube from Quentin Smelzer saying he sold his Ryker because it was "terrible on the expressway." My only 3 wheel benchmark is four years ago I rented an F3 and a RSS on separate weekends. I was able to do it on the F3, but not the RSS because of the riding position. Also wondering if the Ryker jumps around when passing a semi like the F3 and RSS did.

Thanks in advance,
    Terry

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post
    Hey folks,

I am new to the forum, this is my first post.

I too am considering a Ryker Rally, but have some questions about riding it any distance. I typically ride my Harley Road King 125-175 miles on a Saturday or Sunday (the only time I can ride). For each ride I typically run 20-25% of the time at 70 mph on the expressway, 20-25% stop and go (getting in and out of town), and the rest running 55-65 mph on two lane highways. Am I going to be able to do that on the Ryker? I watched a Youtube from Quentin Smelzer saying he sold his Ryker because it was "terrible on the expressway." My only 3 wheel benchmark is four years ago I rented an F3 and a RSS on separate weekends. I was able to do it on the F3, but not the RSS because of the riding position. Also wondering if the Ryker jumps around when passing a semi like the F3 and RSS did.

Thanks in advance,
    Terry
    The Rally will handle the speeds you've mentioned with no problem. Coming from a touring frame HD you will notice you get pushed around on the freeway. The Ryker is only 600lbs so wind from passing traffic will have more of an affect than on your HD. I came from a Triglide and it took a little getting used to riding the Ryker. One thing I did that really helped with the stability was to upgrade the swaybar to the BajaRon swaybar.