Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default How do I do this - brackets

I purchased a set of Baha Design S2 pro LED lights some moths ago. I have many many ideas on where to mount them, wanting them high to improve the light footprint.

A month or so ago I saw a Motorcycle Cop and his Driving lights and Red/Blue strobes were mounted on a bracket that sat between the mirrors and their mount point on the fairing. This seems ideal. They were well fitted, made from 1/4" or 3/8" cold drawn seamless tube - flattended out - and they sealed the gap between the mirrors and the fairing - they were really well made. Decided there and then that's how mine will be!!!

BUT reality has since set in.

I have spent hours staring at the same location on my RTL, mirrors removed trying to figure out how to make a template or how to manufacture it with all the curves involved and just don't have the know how. NO IDEA Whatsoever.
    All I do know is:
    1. It looks like I would remove the magic mirror mounts, and replace the bolts with longer ones to accommodate the thickness of the material of the bracket
    2. Has many many curves required to "follow the surface" of the RTL fairing.

I've inserted a picture showing what I mean and how it follows the contours of the fairing/mirror (Shown in red).
    Where do I begin?
    How do I go about it?
    Should I try making a prototype mount out of Aluminium flat bar 1st (easy to bend, hard to weld)

RTL-BD-Light brackets.jpg
    Last edited by askitee; 06-10-2019 at 05:47 AM. Reason: add a question to post
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

You might do better to consider utilizing the mounts for the small windscreen addendum fairings. Actually, if the addendum fairings are removed, that would allow for the thickness of the mount you plan to build, and not require any trimming of the headlight bezel bodywork.

Spyder Garage

I see no problem with aluminum and its lighter than steel. Try a flat sheet then you can just bend it with a little heat and have it be above or below the mirror.

Keep use posted
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

I agree with bluewoo about the aluminum as opposed to steel. Looking at my mirrors it seems you will have some fairly fancy bending to do and it might be best to begin with some cardboard to make a pattern. Have you considered the impact of those lights on oncoming drivers?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I would love to put these on my spyder.
    (square ones)
    IMG_20170803_110415.jpg

I could make the sun squint!
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    I purchased a set of Baha Design S2 pro LED lights some moths ago. I have many many ideas on where to mount them, wanting them high to improve the light footprint.

A month or so ago I saw a Motorcycle Cop and his Driving lights and Red/Blue strobes were mounted on a bracket that sat between the mirrors and their mount point on the fairing. This seems ideal. They were well fitted, made from 1/4" or 3/8" cold drawn seamless tube - flattended out - and they sealed the gap between the mirrors and the fairing - they were really well made. Decided there and then that's how mine will be!!!

I have spent hours staring at the same location on my RTL, mirrors removed trying to figure out how to make a template or how to manufacture it with all the curves involved and just don't have the know how. NO IDEA Whatsoever.
    All I do know is:
    1. It looks like I would remove the magic mirror mounts, and replace the bolts with longer ones to accommodate the thickness of the material of the bracket

I've inserted a picture showing what I mean and how it follows the contours of the fairing/mirror (Shown in red).
    Where do I begin?
    How do I go about it?
    Should I try making a prototype mount out of Aluminium flat bar 1st (easy to bend, hard to weld)

You've already spent the money on these lights, but, you might be even happier just replacing your headlights and fog lights with LED ones from the SpyderLovers sponsors. I am amazed at the increased light output of mine, and especially the increased amount of light thrown to the sides, which tends to illuminate the small critters before they dart out in front of you.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify a few things:
    Here in Australia our High beams are the top two lights beneath the windshield, Lows are either side of the Frunk
    PMK - there are no mods to any existing fittings, the brackets would fit to the fairing, and the mirrors to the brackets. The ones I saw caused the mirrors to sit out about 10mm / 3/8" further out.
    Jaybros - these would come one with High Beam only.
    Jetfixer - I have been experimenting with different bulbs and contacting manufacturers to get some input from them on LED's. I haven't found/witnessed ones yet that fill the sides of the road with adequate light for low beam, and and any that can counteract the "two white dots" of the high beams. Its been interesting, one set from PIAA were lackluster in the RTL, but awesome in my car. The reflectors are the issues and so far the only LED's that do improve the spread are JW Speaker. Good suggestion though.

Being an ex-draughtsman I like to draw everything (working out the kinks on paper) so at the end of this task if I make something worthy of sharing I'll put up the details. I did this for my 8 channel Solid State Wiring harness.

Still happy to hear from anyone who can shed further enlightenment.
    Last edited by askitee; 06-11-2019 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

You are working too hard! The wind deflector below the mirror is plenty strong to hold that light. Drill 2 holes and be done, Mate! You might have to fab a bracket to aim the lights properly, but a bit of angle, and Bobs your Uncle!! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I'd have a look at the air deflectors cptjam mentioned, but remove the deflectors & use the 2 mounting bolts to hold your light bracket as close to the body work as possible. This way, the bracket & light may work very well at deflecting the air. Kill 2 birds.....Aluminium is the way to go. Good luck......treva

Spyder Garage

Utah Pete has some driving lights mounted on these wind deflectors.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HI Cptjam. I did look at them, assuming the model where you are has the same deflectors made from Perspex/Lexane . I was reluctant to try mounting direct onto them as parts here in Australia take so long to arrive (if at all) and at the price charged here for parts probably in the $800 price tag.

Great ideas guys, keep em coming.
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Today i had a look at the air deflectors on my RT.[ just got it back from the dealer ] First i would purchase a piece of solid round aluminium approx. 20mm diameter & say 200mm long in case of any hiccups. Cut 4 pieces long enough to use as spacers where the AD's bolt on. Drill a 6mm hole in spacers. I would use nylon/rubber washers between the spacers & body work. Fabricating a bracket out of a small 2mm thick aluminium sheet would only require some straight & angle cutting & bending, & require no welding. Drill 6mm holes through the angled bent portion of the bracket & your done. To cut aluminium, use hacksaw or a 100mm hand angle grinder. Purchase a thin steel cutting disc & a small block of wax [surfboard]. Mark out the alu. sheet, start grinder & just briefly dip the spinning disc into the wax. With a steady hand the disc will cut through the aluminium like a hot knife through butter with no clogging. I've cut 10mm thick aluminium the same way. Just so easy. Good luck...treva.

Spyder Garage

All I do know is:

Where do I begin?
    How do I go about it?

Looking at the pic. No idea what additional room may be available Behind the windshield to just go straight across if possible, either side or one continuous bar that might mount other items to in future would suggest 3/8" thick bar stock for enough threads & thread lock to bite. Might be unsightly but does polish with enough wrk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Treva - funny you suggest that. I bought 20 mm dia. machinable aluminium bar cut into 100 mm lengths with this idea in mind. Had the intention of using my mates lathe to machine/drill them but he has literally sold the farm (and the lathe, his milling machine). I also decided when I saw the brackets on the BMW MC Highway Patrol bikes that the added hieght would be nice

Have decided to make the brackets for the wind deflectors to make some progress and visit the bracket that uses the mirror mounts as time permits.

Now - does anyone know how to accumulate spare time to get these done. I know .. a go fund me page ... if you all send me in a sealed envelope 10 mins of your spare time I should have enough to get this done...
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Hi Treva - funny you suggest that. I bought 20 mm dia. machinable aluminium bar cut into 100 mm lengths with this idea in mind. Had the intention of using my mates lathe to machine/drill them but he has literally sold the farm (and the lathe, his milling machine). I also decided when I saw the brackets on the BMW MC Highway Patrol bikes that the added hieght would be nice

Have decided to make the brackets for the wind deflectors to make some progress and visit the bracket that uses the mirror mounts as time permits.

Now - does anyone know how to accumulate spare time to get these done. I know .. a go fund me page ... if you all send me in a sealed envelope 10 mins of your spare time I should have enough to get this done...
    I don't have any spare time as well, but, the envelope is on it's way....treva

Spyder Garage

IMG_4790.JPG shared here while back

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock