Spyder Garage

Default Riding with no air in air suspension on F3-T

What is bad about having no air in the air suspension?

I am going on two major trips before I can get my leaky air bag fixed. What exactly should I be on the look out for besides a bit rougher ride?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I perceive your F3T may bottom out without the assist of the airbag. Perhaps there is some sealer that might plug your leak, such as a flat tyre sealer. Just a thought.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by papanorm View Post
    I perceive your F3T may bottom out without the assist of the airbag. Perhaps there is some sealer that might plug your leak, such as a flat tyre sealer. Just a thought.
    My dealer will fix it, but not until after the trips. I am reluctant to put a sealer in there.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It shouldn't hurt anything.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

It may hurt your butt but that’s about it. There are many, many riders who have no air in their bag and have no idea that they should have.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Duct Tape... fixes everything! .

Spyder Garage

No air in the air shock and towing with 47# on the hitch should be a very harsh ride.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

The 47 # on the hitch will be loading he hitch and forcing down the rear wheel a little more.... the no air in the air bag will be compressing the spring around your rear shock and bottoming out more. It probably will let you know to slow down a bit more on rough roads
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by papanorm View Post
    I’m not so sure that having air in the bag will stop bottoming out, Norm. The shock still only has the same amount of travel before it bottoms out. The air bag simply raises the seat height, and will of course take some of the jarring out when the shock DOES bottom out....

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I’m not so sure that having air in the bag will stop bottoming out, Norm. The shock still only has the same amount of travel before it bottoms out. The air bag simply raises the seat height, and will of course take some of the jarring out when the shock DOES bottom out....

Pete
    Pete,

When we had this issue with our RT it bottomed out a lot until it was fixed.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

With no air in the bag. It will not make the shock bottom out any more then normal. But the bag will bottom out. Never happened to me so I don't know how it feels. I would imagine it would be just as irritating.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Sounds like I can do the trips without damaging my Spyder, albeit with less comfort. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I am glad you brought this subject up. I lost my compressor over Memorial weekend. Last year I replaced my check valve and lines and connectors. Compressor was fine at that time. Yesterday I removed the compressor. Took compressor apart and it was toast. my check valve had failed again and killed compressor. The air bag is really a tough durable air bag. I doubt your air bag itself has failed. So I just ran a new air hose from air bag to shrader valve. I converted my air bag to standard Rt. Put 70lbs of air in bag and it is stiil there. I never used the switch. Some day I may install the aftermarket compressor. So back to your issue. If air bag is good you might be able to remove your air suspension relay. On my RTS it was relay 1. This way you can add air and not have your air bleed off on you. Carry a small compressor with you to add air. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Pete,

When we had this issue with our RT it bottomed out a lot until it was fixed.
    I’m not sure how that can be, PW. The shock itself still has the same travel to bottom out, regardless of what PSI you have in your bag. Is it perhaps that you were just feeling the bottoming out more because your air bag was flat. I’m not chasing this to be cantankerous, but just because I am interested

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I’m not sure how that can be, PW. The shock itself still has the same travel to bottom out, regardless of what PSI you have in your bag. Is it perhaps that you were just feeling the bottoming out more because your air bag was flat. I’m not chasing this to be cantankerous, but just because I am interested

Pete
    Pete,

It may have been due to having the BRP hitch on as the Spyder was low enough that the hitch mud flap was hitting the pavement on bumps. I ended up cutting an inch off of it to reduce the number of hits. Air in the bag makes a noticeable difference in the rear height. Another thing that happened was the tire was making contact with the nuts from my extra mud flap.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Pete,

It may have been due to having the BRP hitch on as the Spyder was low enough that the hitch mud flap was hitting the pavement on bumps. I ended up cutting an inch off of it to reduce the number of hits. Air in the bag makes a noticeable difference in the rear height. Another thing that happened was the tire was making contact with the nuts from my extra mud flap.
    Yeah, there is nothing worse than having the tyre making contact with your nuts, PW....

Thanks for the extra info

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.