Spyder Garage

Default 2021 RTL handle bar position and riding posture...need a fix?

I've ridden my 2021 RTL for 3-400 miles already and find the riding position to be TOO upright and my elbows too way back.

I was wondering if anybody had the same problem. if they were able to fix it by tilting the factory handlebar forward?
    Is this a common problem?

I've seen some after-market handlebars, but I have so much crap I need to buy for the bike that a new aftermarket handlebar is not really a priority on my wish list...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-26-2023 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

There is a little bit of adjustment to tilt the handlebars. The retaining pin on the riser sits in a slot in the bars. Carefully loosen the 4 bolts (there is some kind of super Loc-Tite thread locker on those bolts!) and try different positions. I tilted mine a little forward after installing Lamonster's 2" riser.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Tilting it forward also raises the bars and slightly changes wrist angle. You can’t do any harm trying it. Other than fiddling with risers etc, the only other options are to buy a set of shorter BRP bars, or look at shelling out around $500 for a set of Helibars that will let you set the bars and wrist angle to just about anything that suits you

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I replaced my 21 stock bars with stock F3 bars. A little higher and a better (for me) angle of the hand grips. Only $125 on Ebay so its worth a shot.
    2021 Spyder RTL chalk/black/chrome bought in March 21. Previous rides: 2019 Spyder RTL, Orange/chrome. 2015 Harley Heritage, 2002 Harley Heritage, 77 Harley Electra Glide, 75 Harley Electra Glide, 72 Harley Sportster (first bike bought new)
    My Spyder Mods
    Rider backrest, F&R cup holders; F3 handlebars; BRP LED driving light; LaMonster front fender and mirror turn signals, LaMonster Saddlebag lights, Auxito LED rear turn signal blubs w/ built in load resistor; Brake lite modulator/flasher; LaMonster flags on trunk; Garmin Zumo XT. LaMonster Bluetooth adapter for Phone & GPS through Spyder speakers. LaMonster floorboard risers; FOBO tire pressure monitors, Vredestein front and rear tires; BajaRon sway bar.

Spyder Garage

ANY of the F3 handlebars will work on your RT. I chose the F3 Attitude bars to get the wrist angle I wanted.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by emudryj View Post
    I've seen some after-market handlebars, but I have so much crap I need to buy for the bike that a new aftermarket handlebar is not really a priority on my wish list...
    Comfort isn't a priority? IMO you need to reconsider your priorities.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

As mentioned, F3 bars.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Did you buy this used ? If so, the prior owner may have installed bar risers or even different bars.
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Depending on your size, Lamonsters 2" riser block worked for me- 5'9" height.

Spyder Garage

yes.. bought it used, but the previous owner did not do much in regard to modifications... I will ask him anyways...

Spyder Garage

I'm short. 5'7".
    I think that my problem is that the bars are too "long" so my elbows end up being too far back.... would a riser fix that?

Spyder Garage

Try to loosen the 4 bolts and see if the bar will rotate/raise up any, that might help. It's worth a try.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

HELIBARS All the way. Not inexpensive, but totally worth it. At first, I looked at the cost and balked, after several long rides and way too much recovery time we made the investment, best upgrade to date. We both have issues with arthritis in our hands and I have shoulders issues, these bars allow you position the bars/grips in the optimal position for comfort and control.

https://www.helibars.com/can-am-brp/can-am-spyder-rt/

Ken