Spyder Garage

Default My motorcycle temperature is too hot.

hello. I bought a 2023 canam spyder RTL this time. My country is hot for 7 out of 12 months.The average temperature is 30 degrees, with a high of 40 degrees. While driving Canam RTL, the sound of the fan repeating several times and the engine temperature is very hot. It was tolerable when riding the canam spyder f3, but the RTL is too hot...

Is there any way to cool down my motorcycle? Shall I change the coolant on my motorcycle? Or let's remove the thermostats.. How can we cool down the heat.. Please help..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

do not remove the stats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    do not remove the stats
    Oh....OK.. ok.. something is scary..

Spyder Garage

Check radiator not blocked/dirty & fresh coolant not just diluted with water

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Why do you think it is too hot?
    I assume that you are talking Celsius which translates to 86 to 104 Fahrenheit for us in the USA
    Lots of places here with those temps.

Today's engines are designed to run at a certain temperature, messing around with that might cause some issues.

Also, it is still under warranty if it is running too hot.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

You may be getting too hot. But I doubt your Spyder is getting too hot. If the fans are cycling, then I'm sure the engine is fine.

The F3 is more of a 'Naked' bike design. Much more openness for ingress of fresh air and egress of hot air. The RT is more of an enclosed engine compartment and heat, because it will rise if nowhere else to go, ends up on the rider.

Removing the 3 large plastic splash guards from underneath will allow additional fresh air in and hot air an avenue of escape. This also makes maintenance like oil changes much easier.

Doing a Cat Delete will also reduce not only engine temperature. But rider felt heat. Especially at slow speeds. Then wrapping as much of the forward exhaust system as you can with exhaust tape will also reduce engine compartment and rider felt heat.

Don't mess with the cooling system. As I said, I am sure it is working fine. What you need is reduced rider temps. There are improved coolants out there. They will get your engine temp down a little. But not enough to do what you're looking for.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-01-2023 at 12:02 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you think a can am is hot go jump on a Harley. Your right legs will cook it self just sitting on the bike.

I found the Spyder way cooler. On hot days it may get warmer but way more comfortable.

You may also want to try air deflectors.
    Last edited by trikermutha; 07-02-2023 at 09:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

It's been 90° for a month of more here in Florida, I get hot, the 2022 RT-L runs just fine and the fans cycle constantly in city traffic.

Give yourself time to get use to the new bike and as trikermuther said toss a leg over a Harley in 90° heat and you'll know real fast just what hot is.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the same basic Spyder that you have .... it's a 14 RT, and last year I was stuck in traffic and the temp gauge was at 125 F .... but the motor Temp stayed at Four bars ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-01-2023 at 08:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kongdoly View Post
    hello. I bought a 2023 canam spyder RTL this time. My country is hot for 7 out of 12 months.The average temperature is 30 degrees, with a high of 40 degrees. While driving Canam RTL, the sound of the fan repeating several times and the engine temperature is very hot. It was tolerable when riding the canam spyder f3, but the RTL is too hot...

Is there any way to cool down my motorcycle? Shall I change the coolant on my motorcycle? Or let's remove the thermostats.. How can we cool down the heat.. Please help..
    Does the engine temperature gauge show overheating? It should be about mid-scale. That's from my experience in June in Florida USA.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Why do you think it is too hot?
    I assume that you are talking Celsius which translates to 86 to 104 Fahrenheit for us in the USA
    Lots of places here with those temps.

Today's engines are designed to run at a certain temperature, messing around with that might cause some issues.

Also, it is still under warranty if it is running too hot.
    thanks for the good advice

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You may be getting too hot. But I doubt your Spyder is getting too hot. If the fans are cycling, then I'm sure the engine is fine.

The F3 is more of a 'Naked' bike design. Much more openness for ingress of fresh air and egress of hot air. The RT is more of an enclosed engine compartment and heat, because it will rise if nowhere else to go, ends up on the rider.

Removing the 3 large plastic splash guards from underneath will allow additional fresh air in and hot air an avenue of escape. This also makes maintenance like oil changes much easier.

Doing a Cat Delete will also reduce not only engine temperature. But rider felt heat. Especially at slow speeds. Then wrapping as much of the forward exhaust system as you can with exhaust tape will also reduce engine compartment and rider felt heat.

Don't mess with the cooling system. As I said, I am sure it is working fine. What you need is reduced rider temps. There are improved coolants out there. They will get your engine temp down a little. But not enough to do what you're looking for.
    I thought it was abnormal because it was so hot, but I guess it wasn't. Thank you for good information. I must run hard!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chipveres View Post
    Does the engine temperature gauge show overheating? It should be about mid-scale. That's from my experience in June in Florida USA.
    The temperature gauge was medium. Sometimes it was so hot that reverse gear wouldn't work.

Spyder Garage

The temperature gauge was medium. Sometimes it was so hot that reverse gear wouldn't work.
    Well, that isn't good. The shift mechanisms are down on the left side. They should not be affected, even if the engine is getting warmer than normal. Can you get away with removing the catalytic converter in Korea? Some just hog out the honeycomb, leaving the shell so it still looks like it is functional. Not as good as the Cat Delete because you still retain that huge heat producing can. But better than nothing.

Spyder Garage

Well, that isn't good. The shift mechanisms are down on the left side. They should not be affected, even if the engine is getting warmer than normal. Can you get away with removing the catalytic converter in Korea? Some just hog out the honeycomb, leaving the shell so it still looks like it is functional. Not as good as the Cat Delete because you still retain that huge heat producing can. But better than nothing.
    After cat delete, the temperature improved to some extent. It was difficult to dissipate heat because it was equipped with a double Korean catalyst and silencer.!!

Spyder Garage

Now the rest of the tale!! Wow,double??
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I had originally thought that the OP meant that the bike/engine was getting hot.

As a former mechanic/service manager I never thought about the OP himself getting hot. My misunderstanding
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

After cat delete, the temperature improved to some extent. It was difficult to dissipate heat because it was equipped with a double Korean catalyst and silencer.!!
    So, you've already taken some measures to reduce the heat.

Looking at the European, Australian, and Japan versions. They all have the same parts and part numbers as the North American RT for the exhaust system. Where is this 2nd catalytic converter located? Is there no way to eliminate it?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I suggest you wrap both of those with " Heat Tape " .... it will help contain the Heat and improve " scavenging " the exhaust ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I had originally thought that the OP meant that the bike/engine was getting hot.

As a former mechanic/service manager I never thought about the OP himself getting hot. My misunderstanding
    I don't think you 'misunderstood'. It is clear that the OP believes the engine is getting too hot being the root reason for why he is getting too hot. It is the respondents (or at least some) who speculate that the engine is operating within correct parameters. But a combination of design and high ambient temps are the actual culprit. None of us are there, so we can only speculate and suggest.

Suggestions that he attempt to reduce heat generated by the Spyder are based on the fact that he did not experience this same degree of discomfort with his F3. A more open and heat dissipating format.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-02-2023 at 11:25 AM.

Spyder Garage

So, you've already taken some measures to reduce the heat.

Looking at the European, Australian, and Japan versions. They all have the same parts and part numbers as the North American RT for the exhaust system. Where is this 2nd catalytic converter located? Is there no way to eliminate it?
    In Korea, the muffler was also equipped with a catalyst and silencer. So it was less noisy than a car. It was so quiet that people mistook it for an electric motorcycle when they passed by. HAHA...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I suggest you wrap both of those with " Heat Tape " .... it will help contain the Heat and improve " scavenging " the exhaust ..... Mike
    oh thanks for the good info. I need to go catch up soon!!!

Spyder Garage

If YOU are hot-------- try a vented jacket with a cooling vest. A well-ventilated helmet and gloves help also. Carry extra cool water and use often. I also use an insulated cup, with straw, on the handlebars. Also have a vented windshield that helps keep me cool. I don't know much about high air temp here in Nevada

Lew L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-03-2023 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Removed post title - many can't see them & they mess with Searching... ;-)
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow