Spyder Garage

Default Ryker gas filler cover

Hey all,
    The Ryker gas filler cover (the piece which slides out on plastic struts) has always seemed kind of... I dunno, fragile?... to me.
    Now that they've been in use for a while, has anybody had issues with that piece?

Spyder Garage

No issues yet with my rally.
    Current: 2022 CAN AM F3S SS. Manta Green, Route 129 windscreen.

Previous:CAN AM Ryker Rally. Intense black, side case , comfort drivers seat, comfort passenger seat with back r test, wind screen, LED auxiliary lighting.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Spyder Garage

No issues... Works great!!
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Not thrilled with the concept. But it works and it seems to be in for the long haul.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've only filled up twice but no problems with the "door". DO NOT however let any gas get on the plastic. it will discolor it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I've only filled up twice but no problems with the "door". DO NOT however let any gas get on the plastic. it will discolor it.

I only have had to fill mine twice so far so no issues with my door as well. (around 700 miles on it so far)

The first time I filled mine I splashed some gas up and around the tank due to the spring door popping up too fast when I pulled the gas nozzle out. No issues with it discoloring the paint though.

The second time I filled up, I made sure to pull the gas nozzle out slowly to keep the spring trap door from snapping shut.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

unnamed.jpg

Yes, I had the same issue with the spring door and the nozzle dripped a few drops. I was/am pissed about it to say the least but not much I can do. I've owned lots of power sports products over the years and I've spilled a bit of gas on them here and they over the years and never had this happen before.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    unnamed.jpg

Yes, I had the same issue with the spring door and the nozzle dripped a few drops. I was/am pissed about it to say the least but not much I can do. I've owned lots of power sports products over the years and I've spilled a bit of gas on them here and they over the years and never had this happen before.
    wow!
    That IS bad

Spyder Garage

I was going to create a post on the gas filler design so I'm glad this came up. If you take a look at the design of the tank inlet and lid you'll see that not only is there no seal, but if you were to spray water on the bike to wash it I can't see how quite a bit of water won't make it's way right into the fuel filler. When the slider lid is closed it remains about 3/4" above the metal filler. Then there's a gap around the bottom of the lid where any water sprayed from the side would go right in.

I will figure out some sort of way to seal the metal filler neck when washing it, anyone else noticed this or had evidence of water in the fuel after a wash?
    2019 Spyder F3-T, white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RandyL View Post
    I was going to create a post on the gas filler design so I'm glad this came up. If you take a look at the design of the tank inlet and lid you'll see that not only is there no seal, but if you were to spray water on the bike to wash it I can't see how quite a bit of water won't make it's way right into the fuel filler. When the slider lid is closed it remains about 3/4" above the metal filler. Then there's a gap around the bottom of the lid where any water sprayed from the side would go right in.

I will figure out some sort of way to seal the metal filler neck when washing it, anyone else noticed this or had evidence of water in the fuel after a wash?
    I have one of these locking caps and have no issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

It is just fine if utilized in a proper manner.

Spyder Garage

Yet another security issue as it may prevent siphoning but vandals could still add unwanted material

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aufgeblassen47 View Post
    It is just fine if utilized in a proper manner.
    Meaning don't spray it with a hose to wash it?
    2019 Spyder F3-T, white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OK folks, relax and take a deep breath. Everything is gonna be alright. Mine has been in a torrential down pour for probably over 4hrs straight and not one drop of water got in the gas tank that I am aware of, runs like top and never missed a beat. Mine has also been washed with no issues. My Ford F-150 has a capless fuel filler with over 30,000 miles and never a fuel issue. What are some of you folks gonna do if you get caught in the rain? cueman

Spyder Garage

I was going to create a post on the gas filler design so I'm glad this came up.
    The Gates 31819 locking gas cap works great on the Ryker, and is dirt cheap (like $13).

Spyder Garage

That could be an excellent solution, do you know if it has a rubber seal under the lip?
    2019 Spyder F3-T, white

Spyder Garage

That could be an excellent solution, do you know if it has a rubber seal under the lip?
    No seal... just plastic
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Has anyone actually had an issue with anything getting in the gas filler area or is everyone just worrying ABOUT something happening. When someone first found out that the locking cap would fit I thought it was a good idea. Then I went out and checked my bike. I ride 80% of the time in muddy, dusty, sandy areas. I took a Kleenex and wiped it around down inside the filler area. It came out clean! Did it again only made sure I got all around and on the valve area. Still clean! I admit it looks like there's a bunch of space between the sliding cover but somehow it's doing it's job. So just my opinion, if you feel you need it for security it may be of value, but for keeping stuff out of your gas … you just don't need it. Just another key to keep up with and a hassle when refueling. I repeat -- just my opinion.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

No, but is pretty tight fit. You could probably find an o-ring or flat gasket that would work. But it is already a whole lot better than no cap at all.

Spyder Garage

Hi Randyl ref water on fuel cover , never mind washing it What about a downpour of rain , like we have in UK every day !
    ( throw a wash leather over the filler ?). Regards Nico 75