Spyder Garage

Default Ryker bucking when cornering

Has anyone else experienced their Ryker Rally or standard bucking when cornering?

I have a Ryker Rally and noticed yesterday when I picked it up that when I went around a left corner (not turn) the rear end felt like it was bucking or slipping. The speed doesn't really matter once you are above 20mph. The feeling is like being in a 4 wheel drive truck and making a hard turn when locked in 4WD. I took it to my dealer this morning and the tech rode it and felt it cornering both left and right and adjusted the front shocks all the way up and said it fixed it. I rode it home and though all was good and then all of the sudden it started again.

Dazed and Confused!!!
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I picked up my Ryker Rally Friday. 280 miles of riding and I have not had this happen. I've had some clunking/bucking when slowing to a stop but I think that's normal. Riding it at any speed around corners has been buttery smooth so far. It corners quite well actually

Spyder Garage

My 600 corners great - no bucking just glides around - I feel like I am cornering with my feet - left turn, push off right foot peg and weight on left side and vice versa. Its a great ryde!

Spyder Garage

Most likely you are experiencing the Nanny kicking in. I experienced this while testing my prototype sway bars. First I had to ride my Ryker fairly hard with the stock sway bar to get a feel for how it handled stock. I noticed the Nanny quite a bit then. I have gotten the Nanny to kick in even with my custom sway bar. But then this is to be expected. The Nanny doesn't go away just because the Ryker handles better. She just doesn't work nearly as much.

Smooth is the key. Many times you can avoid the Nanny if you do whatever is causing her to kick in more smoothly. Abrupt actions are what get her going.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-08-2019 at 07:55 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does his model have a manual transmission ?
    Any chance of "lugging" by not downshifting enough ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Does his model have a manual transmission ?
    Any chance of "lugging" by not downshifting enough ??

That's a big No Chance to both of those questions...... campermac's ryde is a Ryker Rally - but regardless of which version of a Ryker it may be, they all come with a CVT!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Curious...🤔

What is your tire pressure..? Have seen over inflated tires hop when cornering with BajaRon on the nanny giving you lip...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    What is your tire pressure..? Have seen over inflated tires hop when cornering with BajaRon on the nanny giving you lip...
    on mine I have the feeling in the fast curves like a flat tire on the back - the VSS works different as on my Spyders it begins to "pump" the backweel ("stutter") not so agressive like on the spyders - so I put a little more pressure in my Toyo on the back ..
    I hope I can test a "Rally" in the next days, maybe the "Rally mode" would help in the slower curves .. I´m not happy like it works now !!
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Well I figured out the bucking when cornering issue. Not on purpose but totally by accident. I was riding home from work this afternoon and all of the sudden I got this loud ear piercing tone, it literally scared the crap out of me. I looked at the dash and it said Limp Mode and the check ending light was flashing. So I pulled over and shut the bike off and left every thing reset then restarted it again and got the same loud tone, but this time I could see the complete message on the dash and it said VSS FAULT. Needless to say the bucking went away but I was stuck in limp mode going no more than 52 mph for 40 miles to the dealer. It appears that there is an issue with the vehicle stability system. They are going to put it on the computer tomorrow so we will see what comes from it. The dealer was at least nice enough to send me home on a brand new F3 Limited, I think he did that on purpose because I have been talking about trading in my 2015 RT Limited for the F3 Limited but decided to get the wife the Ryker first.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    but this time I could see the complete message on the dash and it said VSS FAULT. Needless to say the bucking went away but I was stuck in limp mode going no more than 52 mph for 40 miles to the dealer. It appears that there is an issue with the vehicle stability system.
    I watched a video earlier today where another Ryker owner experienced the same error code. He was also having his looked at by his dealer too.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

The verdict is in on my Ryker VSS issue. The tech called me yesterday and it appears as if there was a loose connection on the VSS. He is going to keep it till Monday and ride it some more to make sure.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hello, I have the same problem on my 19 Rally... did your dealer find the problem?

Spyder Garage

Construction Tech

I no longer have the Ryker but to answer your question the dealer tech did find the problem and it was the VSS sensor. He fixed it in a couple of hours and then it was good to go.

Good Luck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    Construction Tech

I no longer have the Ryker but to answer your question the dealer tech did find the problem and it was the VSS sensor. He fixed it in a couple of hours and then it was good to go.

Good Luck
    Interesting. Thank you for the update. Very helpful. It can be difficult to correctly diagnose an issue over the Internet.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...