Quote Originally Posted by w6ada View Post
Well, It is about ten days after I posted the “mistake” post. While I have not formed any decision regarding the reliability of the Spyder, I have removed and replaced the DESS Module and I relocated in to a location where it is very accessible. The Spyder started several times after I got it buttoned up and no orange screen of death so so far so good

A couple of comments and observations.. First, the original DESS module has a small toroidal with the end of the antenna wrapped one turn before the module itself. Now, I may not know anything about motorcycle mechanics but I have been a ham radio operator for about 50 years. A torrid is wha theY call a choke. It is used to block signals you don’t want to enter the electronics. While one turn would do absolutely nothing (need about 5-6 turns to act as a choke), it seems clear either BRP or the DESS module manufacturer had a problem from day one with interference. The new module manufacturer in 2017 does not come with a toroid.

Secondly, BRP dId nothing for its customers to resolve this issue and allowed it to fester for about three years...shame on them. Same goes for the parking brake switch, same high rate of failure with no recall. Lastly and most I importantly, BRP dealer network or lack of same shows just how little the care about the Spyder customers. It seems they have taken a page from the RV dealers who are all the same...It is sell the new product as fast as possible however poorly they are made,and have a tech or two at most the repair new RV s after weeks to months of waiting for so called “warrantee repair”. BRP have too many products and too little support.." So, I learned that if you like the Spyder, you better be prepared to work on it yourself....As for me, I like the Spyder but time will tell if I recommend one to anyone else.
If it's like other BRP DESS systems, it's a 13.56 Mhz HF RFID interrogator. Real easy to jam up with noisy digital electronics.