Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by w6ada View Post
    Well, It is about ten days after I posted the “mistake” post. While I have not formed any decision regarding the reliability of the Spyder, I have removed and replaced the DESS Module and I relocated in to a location where it is very accessible. The Spyder started several times after I got it buttoned up and no orange screen of death so so far so good

A couple of comments and observations.. First, the original DESS module has a small toroidal with the end of the antenna wrapped one turn before the module itself. Now, I may not know anything about motorcycle mechanics but I have been a ham radio operator for about 50 years. A torrid is wha theY call a choke. It is used to block signals you don’t want to enter the electronics. While one turn would do absolutely nothing (need about 5-6 turns to act as a choke), it seems clear either BRP or the DESS module manufacturer had a problem from day one with interference. The new module manufacturer in 2017 does not come with a toroid.

Secondly, BRP dId nothing for its customers to resolve this issue and allowed it to fester for about three years...shame on them. Same goes for the parking brake switch, same high rate of failure with no recall. Lastly and most I importantly, BRP dealer network or lack of same shows just how little the care about the Spyder customers. It seems they have taken a page from the RV dealers who are all the same...It is sell the new product as fast as possible however poorly they are made,and have a tech or two at most the repair new RV s after weeks to months of waiting for so called “warrantee repair”. BRP have too many products and too little support.." So, I learned that if you like the Spyder, you better be prepared to work on it yourself....As for me, I like the Spyder but time will tell if I recommend one to anyone else.
    If it's like other BRP DESS systems, it's a 13.56 Mhz HF RFID interrogator. Real easy to jam up with noisy digital electronics.

Spyder Garage

Bought a 2016 RTL in late Sept. of 2016. The only thing I have had fail is a head light and a back light assembly. I bought the extended warranty because I was not sure I could afford any of the parts after the original warranty was out. The extended warranty took care of my back light assembly without question. I currently have 59,650 miles on my spyder and actually am in the middle of a 6,000 mile trip. Am I worried what will crop up with so many miles on it, yes, but as of yet I have never been left stranded. So I will continue to ride this great machine and get checkups on her health as the miles keep clicking onward.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-16-2021 at 08:50 PM.
    2016 RTL , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I have had good luck with the first 2012rt
    Traded for the 2019 rt
    The 12 pulled the camper trailer i built in 2000
    To both coast's an many trips in between
    The best part about the spyder is my girl can handle as well as me an it's just as fun being the rider

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well Murry, glad to hear you say that, wife is getting her endorsement, so I'm sure she'll be driving this thing. I need to see what the pillion feels like.

Spyder Garage

No you need to bite the Bullitt and get another one for yourself, or keep yours and get her one. You know you are still young

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Bought my 2014 RT-S SM6 in June of 2014. Between then and June 2017, I put just over 15k miles on it. Only problem I had was with the key lock getting stuck and the dealer I go to for service replaced the lock and the trunk lock so new keys around. I traded it in last month on a 2020 RTL and then the next day made a deal to get it back. My wife has a 2014 RT-S SM6 also. She got hers the same day I got my 2014 and she has about 5k miles on hers. I replaced the batteries because the spyders sat in storage for almost 2 years unridden (wife had cancer). I started riding again in October of 2019 and the lift arm broke. Red-neck engineering allowed me to ride when I could until Feb 2020 when the trade-in happened. So, the only 2 maint issues were the keylock and the windscreen lift on my spyder.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Paul, I have thought about that, sell the Prius, get another RTL, but man, that is one hard sell..

Spyder Garage

Don't know how I missed this one.

Lots of good comments.

My experience with the 2014 RTS. Still running good, no major problems. Linda is now the proud driver and its going on 40K miles. We put brand new darkside tires on last summer.

I finally traded in the 2011 for a new 2019 F3L. Have almost 4K on that one since mid December of 2019.

I still like the product.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

W6ada....

We just bought my wife’s third Spyder. After some trials and tribulations with our 2012 RT’s we decided not to go with the 1330 model when it came out and stayed with the twins.

This year, we bought her a new 2020 RT Limited and she couldn’t be more pleased. The dealer has been a bit of a problem but it is the nature of the brand and nothing we haven’t experienced before. Our Spyders have carried us almost 100,000 miles. Not all of them trouble free but even hardships can be adventures. Tell your wife to look on the bright side of things. Mine has survived a major head on collision (not her fault) and has beaten pancreatic cancer and still manages a positive outlook.

Pennyrick
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Hey Paul, I have thought about that, sell the Prius, get another RTL, but man, that is one hard sell..
    To you or her? After she finishes the course, it wont be so hard.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Fantastic

Spyder Garage

I have a 2018 RT Limited and have had 2010, 2012 and 3014 Spyders in the past and NEVER a problem with any one of them!! they are great machines and as with any product there can always be something that may happen..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

I have 2016 RTL, 16K miles and many long trips with zero problems.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    I have a 2018 RT Limited and have had 2010, 2012 and 3014 Spyders in the past and NEVER a problem with any one of them!! they are great machines and as with any product there can always be something that may happen..
    BIG F
    Where did you get the Flux Capacitor to go to the future and ride a 3014 Spyder ? Do they still have tires and wheels ?
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a F3T. Every time I have to remove the body work I get nervous. These things are very complex! The only issue I've had was from me being an idiot and doing "zig zags'' at 60 miles an hour. This caused it to go into limp mode. I just pulled over turned it off waited a few minutes and restarted with no more issues. This was about 5000 miles ago.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    This is a very good thread, an yes, I've been lurking on spyderlovers for some time. For those of us, or maybe just me, can someone post exactly what the DESS is, is that when the machine goes in to the limp mode? Subscribed.
    No on the " LIMP MODE " at least I've NOT heard of anyone getting that .... if you get the DESS screen commonly known as " the Orange screen of Death: ) .... your spyder shuts down Completely, has no functions except the screen display ..... Most can be re-started, at least a few times .... but once you get the DESS screen, the module is failing and eventually DIES - period. Not to difficult to DIY a new module if you can remove the Frunk ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

We’re on our fourth Spyder, not because of problems but because we like them. Last one Ohio to Pikes Peak, Ohio to Grand Canyon as well of lots of shorter trips. Hang in there, hopefully everything will work out for you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Leftlady66 View Post
    I have a love/hate relationship with mine sometimes. I love how it rides, handles, corners and of course how it looks. I hate how much it costs to fix anything on it and the service calls. Hubby wants me to try a 3 wheel goldwing. He only changes the oil.
    I had a Goldwing Trike. I had to rebuild the rear end, replace rear brake shoes, rebuild the carbs, replace the rapidly wearing front tire !nd have the radio rebuilt (thank heavens for Sierra Electronics). I also rode it 40,000 miles in 4 years. Sold it to buy my Spyder and never looked back. I don't miss the Goldwing at all. The Spyder rides so much better. The only thing I miss about the Goldwing is broadsliding the corners

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Roger that, Paul.

Spyder Garage

Spyderpops has a fix for the DESS error.

Spyderpops.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I can offer very little...I've just purchased my first spyder (RTL) this past month. I read all the negative comments like I do before purchasing anything else and then I make the best decision I can with what information I have and can verify. Ultimately, I went by my gut...I drove it once and feel in love. Sadly, I work way more than I should, so I don't get to ride a much as I would like. So far, all I can say is that I would hop on and go ANYWHERE, no matter the distance, with no fear. I will do my own maintenance, having been a mechanic for 20+ years. I have already fixed what the dealer couldn't be bothered to do before delivery and plan on a few upgrades. Sad that the dealers near me seem inept but that can't even begin to put a damper on the exilleration I feel every time I straddle my ryde.

Again, probably little to no help for your place of mind but thought I would share anyway.

May the wind be always at your back...

2020 Petrol Blue RTL Dark

May the wind be at your back and keep 3 on the ground!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have we had an update from the OP to see if he stayed with us or moved to something else?
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    Have we had an update from the OP to see if he stayed with us or moved to something else?
    He was last on the Forum on the 18th of June, and he last posted in this thread on the 7th of April this year (see post #61 above) with his most recent post before that (quoted in full at the very top of this page) being just over a year ago - June last year. In his quoted post above, he mentioned that while he liked the Spyder, he didn't think much of BRP's handling of this matter, and only time would tell if he recommend one to anyone else.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-25-2020 at 01:42 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    He was last on the Forum on the 18th of June, and he last posted in this thread on the 7th of April this year (see post #61 above) with his most recent post before that (quoted in full at the very top of this page) being just over a year ago - June last year. In his quoted post above, he mentioned that while he liked the Spyder, he didn't think much of BRP's handling of this matter, and only time would tell if he recommend one to anyone else.
    Your right it was a old post!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl