Thread: Hot ankles

Spyder Garage

Default Hot ankles

I ride with the foot pegs all the way forward. Now that air temperatures are approaching the 90's here in East Texas I have noticed a lot of engine heat on my ankles and lower legs while riding. There is also substantial heat coming through the hole in the front of the seat and you know where that goes. I am well acquainted with the hot fuel tank issues of the early BMW K bikes and how insulation was used to help mitigate. Anybody experiment with heat management on the Ryker yet?
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

I've ridden in the Keys with shorts on. I don't feel any excess heat from my Ryker!
    Calling an illegal immigrant an undocumented worker, is like calling the corner drug dealer an unlicensed Pharmacist.
    2019 900 ACE , Stock Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragracer View Post
    I've ridden in the Keys with shorts on. I don't feel any excess heat from my Ryker!
    Same here in South FL wearing shorts & flip flops!

Spyder Garage

We are out riding today and it is 90 and Sunny and have not noticed any excessive heat anymore than normal.. I have the A arm guards and lower deflectors if that makes a difference.
    2019 900 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

86 over in New Mexico. Had to take the liners out of the mesh jacket.

Spyder Garage

Upper 80's nearing 90 here in PA and not an issue with heat at all.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

High 80's - low 90's here in NE Florida - ryding in shorts and tee shirt - no heat issues with my 600.

Spyder Garage

I've noticed this heat also. But, coming from a V-Twin, it doesn't bother me. In fact, this winter when the temps were in the 30's (although mostly in the 40's ) it felt good on the ankles! I also have noticed heat on the back of the thighs; in this case, I just loosen the thigh grip on the Ryker and point my knees out. Cooling air!

Francis
    2019 600 , Haze Blue

Spyder Garage

Kinda funny I never would have thought about wearing shorts when I was on 2 wheels. Now that I got mt Rally I find myself coming home from work in shorts and just hopping on the Ryker and taking off. Just feels right for some reason and definitely a lot more comfortable in the heat. And yes, as a Telephone/Broadband Technician for 40 years I have earned the right to wear shorts at work. The summer heat and humidity in Kansas will kill you in jeans.

Spyder Garage

I have noticed some hotter air at the ankles. It was nice in February, but not a real problem in the summer. The over the ankle leather boots are insulating to some extent and I just move my feet outward on the pegs.
    Current: 2022 CAN AM F3S SS. Manta Green, Route 129 windscreen.

Previous:CAN AM Ryker Rally. Intense black, side case , comfort drivers seat, comfort passenger seat with back r test, wind screen, LED auxiliary lighting.
    2022 F3S, special series , Manta Green

Spyder Garage

Wearing arc-flash jeans at work and Kevlar Slider jeans when not. Having rode 2-wheelers for so long, it just don't feel right without. Besides, we're too old to grow skin grafts now. BTW, NC house rep recently introduced a bill that would allow 18 year old bikers with 1-year experience to ride without a helmet. When a lady activist pushed this in Florida and got it passed, she died of head trauma in a low speed bike crash later. But, it's your body. I'm gonna keep my gear. Got nothing against those that want to go without. To each his/her own.

Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

You are riding on top of a water cooled engine. The radiators exhaust hot air to the rear where you are perched. The problem is experienced on almost all bikes and hot ankle are very real on a BMW boxer engine. The solution is a proper pair of boots and long pants which you should be wearing anyway.
    2018 Can Am Spyder F3L, 1995 BMW R1100R, 1988 Suzuki GS250, 2019 Ryker 600 (Wife's)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob204bc View Post
    You are riding on top of a water cooled engine. The radiators exhaust hot air to the rear where you are perched. The problem is experienced on almost all bikes and hot ankle are very real on a BMW boxer engine. The solution is a proper pair of boots and long pants which you should be wearing anyway.
    That is what is so perplexing to me. I am riding the Ryker after years of BMW airhead, Oilhead, and HexHead twins. I never felt the heat from the BMW's. However, on the BMWs' my feet on the pegs were a foot off the ground and got a lot of airflow across the tops of my feet and ankles. On the Ryker my feet are forward and the soles of my boots get most of the moving air. I also wonder if the skid plate below the engine on my Rally Model might be influencing air flow>

For the record I faithfully wear ATGATT
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Yes, I have noticed the heat from the engine, on left ankle. If I move my feet to the outer edge of the pegs, the cooler air passing by my foot and legs takes care of the warmth. Ride on. geo...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I am riding and I feel the heat I just head out to the country where I can cruise with fresh air flowing over me and Ryker but, I am retired and have that option. cueman