Spyder Garage

Default Something new and questions

Finally did it. After years and years of riding motorcycles (my last Wing I had for 13 years and 90K miles) I purchased a 2018 touring Spyder. The last couple of years I have been having some balance issues so it was time. Hard to let go....Wing was like an old friend. Anyway, I am going to need a seat. I am 6'3" and a couple of biskits shy of 300 gravitational measurement units. So...I will need a seat that lets me sit back some and also a backrest. Suggestions?? I carry no passengers. Also....Where do you guys mount a GPS or cell phone?? Sure is fun getting used to not having "butt" control over the ride and no hand brake. Getting used to it is gonna take some time for sure. Thanks for your time.

Spyder Garage

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Check out Ultimate seats, great selection and very Comfy!
    https://ultimateseats.ca/
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

BRP make a comfort seat which moves you back about 50mm and I use one. At first it seemed little different but when I now sit back on a standard RT It feels very cramped. It also gives a longer reach for arms and at your height I'd guess that too is a benefit. The comfort seat can also be got with heating, separate control for rider and rear passenger.

Spyder Garage

I'm going to throw this out there, someone will correct me if I miss the target. If the seats mentioned in the referenced thread are made on the OEM seat base, then the backrest position will be the same place and you'll have to do something there.

As I understand it, the OEM Spyder Comfort Seat has the driver seating position pushed back, allegedly robbing some of the back passenger room (seem to remember a 2" reference). Maybe the Comfort Seat would be a good place to start for the seat base to send to Russell or the other guys. Take a look into that.

I don't have a dog in this race, I'm vertically challenged with a pretty good gravity toll myself.

Good luck on the hunt for the elusive Farkle!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

I agree somewhat with h0gr1der as I am about your height a bit less than 14 stone. I bought the BRP Comfort seat as part of the OTD deal and have been very satisfied. I also have the adjustable driver backrest for the Comfort Seat and have found it really reduces fatigue in day-long rides and long touring trips. IMO, the way BRP changes the design of the driver backrest mounting area infringes on passenger room only if the passenger is circumferentially challenged. The Comfort Seat is, again IMO, the least costly way to get into the seat for tall guy game and, if my backside eventually rebels with more trips around the sun, I will ship the seat and backrest off to Russell as the base for a new one. Ultimate does have a limited time return policy. The toughest part of the nut to crack is you are both trying to get accustomed to a new way of riding going to a Spyder and you want that extra leg room right away so whatever you do has to meld with the new riding position/style/comfort level. Good luck.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wifesspyder View Post
    Finally did it. After years and years of riding motorcycles (my last Wing I had for 13 years and 90K miles) I purchased a 2018 touring Spyder. The last couple of years I have been having some balance issues so it was time. Hard to let go....Wing was like an old friend. Anyway, I am going to need a seat. I am 6'3" and a couple of biskits shy of 300 gravitational measurement units. So...I will need a seat that lets me sit back some and also a backrest. Suggestions?? I carry no passengers. Also....Where do you guys mount a GPS or cell phone?? Sure is fun getting used to not having "butt" control over the ride and no hand brake. Getting used to it is gonna take some time for sure. Thanks for your time.
    & , someone else will help with the seat thing ….. I will just add … the Spyders is way different from the motorcycle in the handling dept'... the best advice I was given was ...just drive it like a Car - and you will have an easier time ….. also I was in the exact same boat in 09 …. I tested a GS and traded my Wing on the spot …. I wouldn't go bak to Two wheels even if I could ….. enjoy …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Spyder world!

This very day today, I just delivered my 2001 Apollo Blue Goldwing to its new home.

I too bought a new 2018 RT Limited - my knees have issues with the kneecaps riding unevenly and causing sharp tendinitis pains at times. I have to exercise them often to keep it bay. Having the Spyder, I don't have to worry about them zapping me at a stoplight, especially when carrying a passenger.

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    I'm going to throw this out there, someone will correct me if I miss the target. If the seats mentioned in the referenced thread are made on the OEM seat base, then the backrest position will be the same place and you'll have to do something there.
    You missed the target.

When Russell rebuilds a seat using your own seat pan, they rebuild WHATEVER is needed for the seat to fit you. If they move you back by moving back the seat pocket, the backrest position will get moved back also. And the backrest will still be adjustable both vertically and somewhat horizontally too. And the backrest pad will swivel to allow you to "stretch" occasionally while riding.

Yes, this may cause less room for the passenger seat area if your sitting position is moved back. So that is something you and they can take into consideration if you routinely ride 2-up. But in most cases if they have the measurements for your regular passenger, they can rebuild the passenger portion of the seat to accommodate them easily too, and your passenger will be more comfortable along with you.

But if you ride solo like I and many other riders do, passenger space is never an issue. The entire portion of your rider seat will be TOTALLY rebuilt to your "rider" specifications (measurements) for your comfort.

A Russell seat also isn't just "adding gel packs", etc. Their seats create an entire "pocket" for your butt that is also surrounded on 3 sides with additional support areas (some people call them "wings") that specifically spread out pressures and provide additional support for the sides of your butt and your upper thighs.

You get what you are willing to pay for. My last Russell got 85,000 riding miles in 5 years before my accident. I just sold it to another rider in Florida who still has the same kind of motorcycle I had the Russell for. It still looks brand new too 'cos I took care of it. Next week I have a ride-in appointment at Russell again to get my new Spyder RTL seat. I plan on riding it the same way...long distance touring and lots and lots of comfortable miles. And the entire seat, including the backrest position, will be "moved" to fit me when it's done in ways that just adding gel packs could never do.

Yes, they are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

As an aside: They will most likely be moving my seat pocket FORWARD a bit based on my previous Russell seat. Which will move me a bit closer to the handlebars. Which is why I won't need to spend darn near $1000 for a Tri-Axis bar replacement with labor installation. Adding just "gel packs" to my OEM seat would never do that.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

My seat comfort for decades has been to go to a seat customizer and get it tailored to fit my butt. And my riding posture is taken into consideration as well. I recommend that for anyone not liking their present seat.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I called Corbin, and told them I was 6'6" and 350, needed the seat back and up. I didn't want or need
    a backrest, and never carry a passenger, or very rarely. They crafted a truly custom seat for me that I absolutely love.
    Yes Corbin are very firm, whiners call them "hard", but for me it is supportive. The stitchery and materials are first rate.
    They are not cheap, like all the aftermarket seats, but you get what you pay for.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    You missed the target.

When Russell rebuilds a seat using your own seat pan, they rebuild WHATEVER is needed for the seat to fit you. If they move you back by moving back the seat pocket, the backrest position will get moved back also. And the backrest will still be adjustable both vertically and somewhat horizontally too. And the backrest pad will swivel to allow you to "stretch" occasionally while riding.
    I rode a Russell for about 13 years on my previous bike. I'm not implying that I know anything about anything, but was merely suggesting that the OEM seat with the lock on the base has two options. The Spyder comes with the "short" or "normal" seat, and from what I've read the Comfort Seat has the backrest built farther back to accommodate longer legged folks. That seat base may be a good place for Russell (or any seat customizer) to start as it will be easier to work around the OEM locking feature. I like that it will take some effort to swipe my backrest.

Maybe someone with a comfort seat and OEM seat can pull some measurements?
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the suggestions and discussion. No seat decision yet as I am just learning to ride/drive this thing. Lots to take in for sure. Just gotta keep at it. Still miss my wing tho'........lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats & enjoy to both of you.

Spyder Garage

If you go the custom seat route ,do a ride in .I had to send mine back for adjustments .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Hi Wifesspyder,
    I'd recommend the Russell Day long seat. You send in your seat and they rebuild it with better foam, side bolsters(wings), etc. You send in your height, weight, picture of you and passenger sitting on seat (side view). Any mods you would like - within reason. I'm not small, and found I would sink to the point of not getting any support from the OEM seat. Russell took care of that problem. Last year took a trip through, NY, OH, Virg, Ken, Tenn, NC. No issues. Good luck to you folks.

Spyder Garage

Starting to look around at seats. I had a Corbin on my wing for 12 years and loved it. It solved my tailbone issue with the stock seat that was a pos anyway. Is Corbin still in business?? I sent them two messages with questions and another message to ask if they were gonna respond. No answer. Still looking and looking......

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Funny you should ask.... I can help you out with all of that and save you some $$$$$
    I have the phone mounts and power stations in stock, and I am a custom seat builder
    for over 50 years. I can help with the seat as well. Give me a call 9:00AM to 8:00PM Pacific Time
    7 days a week.
    Julie & I in the snow on the bike .jpgMe & my Spyder.jpg
    As you can see I am an ole Wing rider this was Wing #5 sold it with 96K on it.
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    209-887-3283

Last edited by Motorcycledave; 06-13-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Still no decision made on seat dilemma. Have got to ride new machine some the last few days. Things I have or am learning (since riding two wheels for years) are that obviously this is a different animal. Reprogram of old brain is in order since so many years riding has resulted in doing things instinctively.
    1. DONT put feet down at stops.
    2. DONT rev motor while in gear.
    3. Machine is not going to "tip over" in corners.
    4. Counter steering does NOT work.
    5. DONT grip bars with a death grip. Relax.
    6. Make sure throttle is closed all the way at stops.
    7. All that clunking and clanking of tranny does NOT mean the gears are fixing to fall to the ground.
    8. Relax relax practice practice

Machine is a total hoot to ride. Just need to reboot brain...lol

Spyder Garage

yes Corbin is still in business. See my previous reply.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

" .Where do you guys mount a GPS or cell phone?? "

A vendor here sells a dash mounted rack. I made my own but it's the same. Mounts the items much closer to the line of sight. Power can be easily gotten.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow