Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RTL - Parking Brake Indicator Light Flashing

We have a couple 2018 RTLs. We have seen this issue on both. When we push the button to release the parking brake, the indicator light will start flashing. Sometimes the brakes will release others times they will not. Pressing the button or holding the button pressed will not stop the flashing. I have to try to move the bike to see if brake is released.

The only way to get it to stop is the turn the key off for a few seconds then try again. Most of the time this will work on first attempt, never more than twice.

I have not looked to see if there is a code set while this is happening but will next time. I checked the brake fluid and added a teaspoon to each bike. Didn't solve the issue. I doesn't happen every time I try to release the brake , kind of intermittent.

Couldn't find anything in owner's manual or Service manual about this.

Any ideas?

=bob=
    2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have this problem on my 2018 F3 Limited also! The modules on each handlebar are causing lot of problems on the 2018 year models. They are defective, and have to be replaced! I am on my third module one the left hand side, once due to shifting problems when I couldn't get it to go into reverse or down shift manually, and the second time I couldn't turn off my parking park, it would just sit there and blink with the rear wheel locked down! I had to take the parking brake cable loose at the back wheel so I could trailer it to the dealer! I have contacted BPR and ask for a module made by a different supplier, since I am on my third one within 6 months and only 1879 miles! I have a great Dealer, but he can't fix a Spyder with defective parts! They changed the modules on both handlebars in 2018 and the trouble begin! 2017 down didn't't have these problems! Hope you get it fixed soon, and maybe BRP will get some new modules for both handlebars from a new supplier!

Spyder Garage

I checked it this morning and it throws code P1571 when it happens. Turning the key off and waiting till the blinking goes out then trying again worked. The code clears when it works correctly.

Spyder Garage

Went for a short ride today, 88 miles, with no problem. Until I got home. Now it will not release the parking brake. I know how to release them manually but now it throwing three codes: P0571, P1571 and U0128. I see if I can find what those are. Dealer mechanic is off until Monday and they are 200 miles away.

We have an adventure going here.

=bob=

Spyder Garage

Hope its a loose connection, I know personally BRP will stand behind it's product as mine lost the DSP right out of the box.

I would call them and open a case #.

Good luck
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you push the PB button do you hear a motor sound? You should and that will release the parking brake, if not then the motor is bad. I had to have mine replaced under warranty. I'm hearing many new spiders are having this problem. I carry a 12mm open wrench so I can release the cable. I also carry a set of folding wheel chocks (Harbor Freight) just in case.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    When you push the PB button do you hear a motor sound? You should and that will release the parking brake, if not then the motor is bad. I had to have mine replaced under warranty. I'm hearing many new spiders are having this problem. I carry a 12mm open wrench so I can release the cable. I also carry a set of folding wheel chocks (Harbor Freight) just in case.

How do you release the brake with a 12mm wrench?
    Jim

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

There are two nuts that you loosen to release the cable

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    This morning both were working again. When I push the PB button, if it is working the motor runs. If it starts flashing. the motor will not run and brake stays set.

Another interesting thing is, when it is in the failing mode the bike knows I pushed the button. For example, I turn the key on and push the PB button and the light will start blinking and brake motor does not run. I turn the key off and the alarm bell tells me the brake is not set. I silence the alarm by turning the key on and push the button once more and turn the key off. The blinking light stays on for about 20 seconds then clicks off.

This tells me the switch is working. At least that is my thinking at the moment. The motor could have an intermittent problem but it's probably the brake position sensor. I am going to look at the wiring diagram and see how this all works together. So far the brake has not failed to set, it only refuses to release at times.

=bob=

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimboRTS View Post
    How do you release the brake with a 12mm wrench?
    Jim
    Loosen the back 12mm nut to loosen the cable in the bracket. The bracket has a slot that allows the cable to slide out releasing the parking brake. The brake arm will move toward the rear releasing the brake. The cable will ride there disconnected just fine. Our bikes are new and there is not much room to loosen the front nut which would back off the brake so I had to pry it out of the slot. By not loosening the front nut it will keep the adjustment for reassembly as long as it doesn't move from vibration while riding. I had to use a pair of channel lock pliers to pry the cable out of the slot.

=bob=

The picture is the right side of motorcycle looking under the exhaust at rear tire area.

Parking Brake Adjuster.jpg

Spyder Garage

Weird you said both spyders are having the same issue?
    Hope you get it sorted out soon....We have some talented folks on this site, hope they chime in....
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just for the hell of it check the battery connections.. You may have a loose connection at the battery?

Cant hurt to check>>

Still could be a motor or cable sticking..

really weird for both bikes doing the same thing

Spyder Garage

I agree it's weird. The Champagne one was the first to show it. It has happened a couple of times but was cleared by turning key off and turning back on once or twice. It hasn't happened for three days now. The Blue one, it happens pretty regularly and even had to be manually released to get in the garage last night. This morning all worked great on both and have tried both of the several times today and both are good.

I have been studying the wiring diagrams and the system is very simple. Power comes to the WPM (Windshield Parking Module) via fuse F4L (left fuse box) through Key switch and arrives at pin 5 of WPM. The WPM pin 3 powers the PBS (parking brake switch) in the left handle bar and the same source signals the Multi-Function Gauge cluster to light the indicator light. When the switch is closed The WPM senses the change in current (Just guessing on the signal to WPM) and sends power to PBM (Parking Brake Motor) setting or releasing park brake. OK, that's how I think it works. The fact is there is a WPM, handle bar switch (PBS) and motor (PBM) in the circuit, that's all.

The WPM is a computer that somehow signals the dash light. Not sure how that happens but the lite is normal, just lit up, when turn the key on. When I push the button, the brake motor runs or the light starts blinking.

While I was writing this up I had a thought about the timing of the button push. Maybe I push it before WPM get fully booted up. I went to the garage again and tried both of them to verify they were acting normal, then caused both to fail. I did this by pressing and holding the park brake switch then turned on the key. Released the button and pressed again and light started blinking and no motor running. Turned off key and waited for blinking to stop and tried again. Champagne went back to normal. Blue, however, still in fail mode after multiple retries. I will check switches and connectors tomorrow.

this could be a 'picnic' issue. (Problem In Chair Not In Computer) However Blue doesn't follow that theory fully.

=bob=

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I start the bike. wait for the boot up then press the eco button. When ready to ride press the brake pedal. Push the parking brake switch . Wait for the red blinking parking light to go away and take off.

Check the battery connection and voltage see below.

5)ParkingBrakeButton The parking brake button is located on the LH grip. It allows to engage or releasetheelectricparkingbrake. ,therewillbea20secondbeepsound when stopping the engine while the parkingbrakeisnotengaged.
    14 ______________
    PRIMARY CONTROLS
    219001827-006_i 1. Parking brake button NOTE: To apply or release the parking brake, the ignition key must be turned ON. NOTE: The battery voltage must be at 11 V minimum to activate the parking brake. If voltage is below 11 V, the parking brake indicator lamp will turn ON and the cluster will display a parkingbrakefailuremessage. ApplyingParkingBrake Withthevehiclestopped,pressbutton to apply the parking brake. The brake indicatorlampwillflash.
    219001827-006_i 1. Press button NOTE: The parking brake cannot be activated when the vehicle is above 10km/h (6MPH). Check that the parking brake is fully engaged. Rock the vehicle back and forth.
    ReleasingParkingBrake To release parking brake, press button and make sure brake indicator lamp turnsOFF.
    219001827-006_i 1. Press button
    _______________ 15
    SECONDARY CONTROLS

Spyder Garage

trikermutha, I have 12.4 volts on one of the bikes and 12.6 volts on the other with engines turned off so have good voltage. You said you 'wait for the red blinking parking light to go away'. On both bikes, when the brake is on, the light is on, when the brake is off the light is off, no blinking. The user manual reference does say the light will flash but that is not my experience. The only time I get a flash is when the motor fails to run. I do hear a click sound like a relay when I push the button.

This morning both of them will not release the parking break. The key was removed and away from them all night.

I will check the continuity throughout the system today and because it is not the weekend and service department should be open, I will talk to the service department.

=bob=

Spyder Garage

Per Spyder Codes
    P0571 and P1571 HBS switch fault
    U0128 - not found

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One thing to remember is if/when you remove the cable from the rear caliper the bike will roll unless on stable flat surface. Use rocks or something to make sure it doesn’t.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once I step on the brake pedal then release the parking brake is like instant really no delay. see what service has to say.

Spyder Garage

Yikes, just to see the WPM you have to go so far as removing windshield support and console. I didn't go that far, I just got the plastic in front removed and dealer called to say the codes were caused by bad parking brake motor. They are ordering the parts and will let me know when they are in. They are going to coordinate with me so the mechanics can fix both and get them out the same day. Repair takes about 3 hours each. The dealer is a couple hundred miles away but I knew that going into this purchase.

I let you know how this turns out. In the mean time we will ride with chocks in the frunk.

=bob=

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck. Too Bad the motors go bad on new bikes..

Yeah those motors are behind the right cover unless they been moved since the 2014 models??

Spyder Garage

Glad to see the dealership is going to try to fix this with out the spyders being at the shop to order parts!

Thanks for keeping all of us up to date!!!!!
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Update: Shortly after my last post, the park brakes started working and have continued to work, over the last 800 miles. Parts took a while to get to dealer because one of them got lost in customs in KY and had to be reordered. We trailered them to the dealer earlier this week for the repairs. I'm not sure if they replaced any parts but said the codes could have been caused from low battery voltage or possible dirty speed sensor on rear wheel. The sensor supposedly has something to do with the park brake? I don't know about that, but the battery voltage could have been involved as I know the batteries were dead when we looked at them last December. Maybe didn't have full charge until we rode them for a while. What ever the problem was it seemed to have cleared up on it's own. The dealer is in Vernal UT. The weather was cold, wind, rain, snow ….

We sold our TriGlide to a couple in Vernal UT, with the help of the Spyder salesman, so while the Spyders were being worked on, we came back home and trailered the TriGlide to Vernal for the new owner. The Spyders were repaired by then and we brought them back home on the return trip. 1000 miles total in 3 days.

They got the new firmware and seem to be working great.

Thanks for all the great advice and help while we were going through this. Luckily we didn't lose and ride time during this time.

=bob=

Spyder Garage

Hope you can now enjoy them!
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A dirty sensor I doubt it unless it had a ton of mud on it. The sensors are exposed to the elements just like a car.

Well hope whatever they did is resolved now.

Spyder Garage

Just be careful. Picked up my 2018 RT Limited in March. Had 8700 mile on it a a number of brake locking up while stopped. On Dec 2, it locked up at 50 mph. flipped and landed with the exhaust on my butt. Over $500,000 in hospital bills and still healing. No lawyer will take my case because this is the only case they can find with such problem.