Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake Fault

Went to work this morning as usual. When I parked I set the parking brake and the parking brake fault light came on. Tried to set and release it several times to no avail. So I set a block under the tire and went to work. When I got home I took off the side panels and looked. The cable ends were in place. When the cable released, the cable would not return all the way and had a small bend not a kink. I cleaned the dirt off of the brake cable and put a little bit of oil in the cable casing and it worked like a champ. However, the Parking Brake Fault still comes on. I even checked the brake fluid reservoir and no change. This is just great. Suppose to be heading to Colorado in 4 days and now I'm worried. Anything help is appreciated
    2012 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Wouldn’t hurt planning a dealer inspection visit before your trip ? Good for service or any other reason, just for peace of mind & second set of eyes verifying things

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I took it to the dealer today and they ran the diagnostics and tested it and found out that is it the switch it's self. Easy fix. I ordered one and when I get back from Colorado I will have it in. Tech said no problem going to Colorado. Just has to put up with the beeping when I shut it off for a few seconds.
    2012 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Had same issue on one of the gal's bike,in the Ozark Mtn. Glad you found it at home.

Spyder Garage

The switch you are referring to is the one actuated by the drum on the parking brake motor assembly. If so spray it with starter fluid to clean the switch assembly.

Spyder Garage

Went to Colorado Springs and back with only a couple of times where it seemed that the parking brake did not catch. Today I replaced the Fronk/Parking Brake switch with no change. I checked the codes and it was clear. I will get some starter fluid and clean the rear assembly tomorrow. I will probably have to take it back to the dealer and have B.U.D.S reset the park brake. I'll see how it goes. I do want to thank everyone for their comments and assistance
    2012 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Starter fluid = ether? Never used ether except to start an engine (duh) or seat a tubeless tire on a backhoe rim...

If you can find it, "tuner cleaner" or "contact cleaner" (made for electronics) would be just the thing I should think.

Spyder Garage

I have some contact cleaner. I can do that, thanks
    2012 RT , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
    Starter fluid = ether?
    I hope that was a "typo".
    Starting fluid is NOT good for cleaning anything. It evaporates too fast.......and is EXPLOSIVE.

Brake cleaner would be much better.

Spyder Garage

I'm having this issue with my parking brake light staying on solid and when I shut the bike down, it beeps at me like the brake isn't set. The brake is functioning but the light stays on. Is this the problem you're experiencing? If so, where is the switch we should clean located? Thanks for your help?

Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

I am going to work on it today, Chris. I do believe it is on the back tire on the right side. You can't miss it. It is black and round. I am going to clean that entire assembly.
    2012 RT , White

Spyder Garage

Chris
    I replaced the Frunk/Parking Brake switch. Super Easy!! Then I got some contact cleaner and cleaned the pressure switch on the right side under the parking brake pulley. I had no luck so I investigated further. Apparently somewhere along the line of not being able to tell if I had the parking brake on or off, the rear brakes were wore down. Now I am replacing those and everything else seems to be working. Stay tuned.
    2012 RT , White