Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default M2 or Elka- Worth the Money?

Just bought the Vred front tires/General rear but not mounted yet. Already have the sway bar mod (which IS worth it).

Looking at some (very expensive, it seems to me) after market shocks. Like to get feedback before laying out 2 grand for 3 shocks. I would like to hear from others which is (M2-Elka), or is not, worth the money.

Thanks for your time

Cap'n Pete

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I purchased the Stage 2 Elkas front and rear and I'm very happy with the setup.
    2019 F3-S SE6
    Elka Stage 2 Front and Rear w/HYD
    Can-am Dragbar
    F4 Custom 28" Windscreen
    GTR Lighting LED Headlights
    Arc Led Auxiliary lights
    Signature Light
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Akrapovic Sinister Silencer
    FOBO 2 Trike TPMS
    Motorcycle Dave Gel inserts Rider and Passenger
    Foam Grips
    2019 F3-S , Monolith Satin Black

Spyder Garage

I have the M2's on mine and absolutely love the adjustability of them. Customer service is great and he (Marcus) will make sure you are happy with your purchase.

2013 RTS
    BajaRon Swaybar, BRP passenger armrests, JT's GoPro dash mount, Lidlox helmet locks, M2 Shocks, foam grips, Ultimate Seat, Magic Mirrors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapnPete View Post
    Just bought the Vred front tires/General rear but not mounted yet. Already have the sway bar mod (which IS worth it).

Looking at some (very expensive, it seems to me) after market shocks. Like to get feedback before laying out 2 grand for 3 shocks. I would like to hear from others which is (M2-Elka), or is not, worth the money.

Thanks for your time

Cap'n Pete
    We have some screaming specials right now...basically, the first 50 sets I sell...are going to be at huge discounts "to get the word out". We would be glad to provide these shocks to you and give the best support we can.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...light=M2Shocks

Spyder Garage

I know they were not mentioned, but BRP Can Am has offered Fox Shox as an accessory. On our Spyder, we had already installed the Baja Ron swaybar. Yes it was an improvement. A short time later I installed Fox Shox. Overall, out of the box they were valved good and have a better spring rate for enthusiastic riding. Granted, no compression or rebound clickers, however, for most people once set, if they ever even truly dial in the suspension, the clickers stay at set and forget.

Not sure what the current retail and street price on the Fox stuff is. With careful shopping, I got our set of Fox Shox for about $375, delivered and no tax.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rahine View Post
    I purchased the Stage 2 Elkas front and rear and I'm very happy with the setup.
    I have the same and worth every $$$ spent!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one....

The M2 have not been around on this site for very long so hard to say how well they are in the long run. So far the look, installation and service is getting good reviews. There are many more out there. I have the Fox with shock re-locators and are very happy with them many I ryde with have the RaceTech (up there with the Elkas) and there are several others....happy hunting...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Just bought a 2015 F3 S and it came with the Elka stage 3 front shocks and a Baja Ron's sway bar and comparing it to the 2012 RS S I had is like night and day in the handling department, the RSS did have Baja Ron's sway bar but stock shocks and with the sway bar it was better but still didn't have the planted feel the F3 has. Most of my riding is in the mountains and the shocks really make a difference in the cornering feel of the Spyder. Stock shocks are always built to a price point and the ones that come with the Spyders are an emmulsion type which mixes the oil with the nitrogen and when used, which is any time you ride, they have a tendency to foam the oil-gas mixture which isn't a good thing, after market shocks such as Elka, M2 and others separate the oil and gas which makes for a much better ride and better control so I would say worth the money if you like better control and handling. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Forgot to add that most all of the after market shocks are rebuildable and the stockers are throw away when they're done.
    2015 F3 S , Silver and orange

Spyder Garage

There's no real way for anyone to advise if one or two is better than the other; unless they've actually had a chance to perform head to head comparo testing with the same rider, over the same course. Any adjustable shock offers obvious custom tuning advantages over a non adjustable shock. I bought the Elka Stage 2 R; featuring preload and rebound damping. Having said that; the comparable M2 R shock looks to be a very quality unit with the same adjustable advantages (over the poor quality stock BRP F3 R shock); based on testimonials from other F3 riders here; it doesn't sound like you can go wrong with the M2 brand either.

I'm very satisfied with my Elka so far; it has a larger diameter main rod than the F3 stocker, and the springs are larger diameter too; leading me to expect longer life before a rebuild from it. The single adjustable preload wheel is a simpler system than the 3 previous adjustable motorcycle mono shocks I've owned; all of which had the more common two wheel (lock ring and adjuster wheel) system that required a hammer and some sort of punch to adjust (defines "NOT FUN"). Several small preload adjustments, with follow up test rides over the same set of roads have gotten the Elka dialed in for me, and the R of my Spyder is now in "suspension tune" with the front (stock Fox Podium Shocks). A MUCH nicer ride with improved R handling! I'll start playing around with the rebound setting soon to see if a few clicks either way improve the ride any.

The nicer (more expensive) shocks with preload, rebound AND compression damping, and/or remote resevoir, and/or hydraulic preload adustability would be the shiz; if you will take the time to experiment with them and get them exactly dialed in for you, your Spyder, and your riding style. It's a lot of extra fiddling, and if you don't have a decent grasp on what each is supposed to do; you can make your handling worse, and in all honesty most folks don't have the desire and patience to fiddle with all of them long enough to really get them dialed in. But, if you do; they are definitely worth the extra cash; when you get them set perfectly for you.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Flanker presents the reality key points, the majority of riders will not make adjustments to the suspension or have the knowledge to make the adjustments.

This morning, my brother came by. He and I grew up as kids racing motocross in the mid to late 1970s. This morning though, he brought over his Yeti mountainbike. Yesterday I rebuilt the rear shock, and today the front forks. When done, he did a quick informal ride on our street and through some stuff. As he has said since the 70s, I just ride it. He has no true understanding, and tells me, I am here and tune suspension, so he does not need to. He called after a serious ride and let me know the rebuilds, clicker changes and such made it like a new bike. When I asked suspension performance questions, his answer, I don’t know, I just ride it and have me around to set it up.

On our Spyder I truly wanted Ohlins. Sadly, Ohlins were not available. I went with Fox, not saying best or worst compared to other performance shocks, but certainly work very well for us without any revalving.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input. I just dropped the hammer on the M2's. Will provide feedback here- eventually....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I really like mine a lot. (M2) I find I can do corners and not have to fight with it anymore..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ordered my m2 shocks yesterday talked to marcus he is very hands on and knowledgeable cant wait for them to get here

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    ordered my m2 shocks yesterday talked to marcus he is very hands on and knowledgeable cant wait for them to get here
    I talked to Marcus a couple of weeks ago & had a totally different experience. All I could get from him (between every other curse word) was that his shocks are the best in the world (that’s a bold statement from a new company that some people never heard of) and that all other brand shocks (he said Elka & other brands) are Sh*t. Needless to say I will not be purchasing my shocks from him.
    It really is a sickness!
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    I talked to Marcus a couple of weeks ago & had a totally different experience. All I could get from him (between every other curse word) was that his shocks are the best in the world (that’s a bold statement from a new company that some people never heard of) and that all other brand shocks (he said Elka & other brands) are Sh*t. Needless to say I will not be purchasing my shocks from him.
    Well, that was my bad then...I think I remember the call...I apologize to you for your experience. I think I kept mentioning the same things to you and I don't think you agreed with anything I said or believed what I had to say regarding one of the dealers that "did a back to back in the Atlanta area". Regardless of how passionate I am and believe in my product...I will tone it down in the future. Again, my apologies.

I personally do all the design and R&D. As a motorcyclist, racer, and suspension pro for many years, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE WHAT WE DO WITH THE SPYDER...I have never been part of anything that transforms a machine more than the shocks I design and build. Let's face it, we all own Spyders, Motorcycles, etc. for our weekend joy or our primary transportation. Again, to do what our shocks do (for me) leaves me passionately "charged up". I can't help it...I love what I do.

I can't change how you will interpret my message to you, but I can tell you that I treat every customer the way I want to be treated...and even if it wasn't to you liking...it was because I believe so much in what my company does and what it provides to my customers.

I want to add one more thing. I have built so many shocks that set world records, won AMA National Championship, etc. even made "special shocks" for NASCAR Cup Cars/Late Model cars that won...and it pales in comparison to a call I got from a customer by the name of Doris and she shared her love for Spyder now as well as her boyfriend's comments on the quality of the shocks. I believe I am the luckiest man every day to do what I do for people...for a living.
    Last edited by M2Shocks; 06-09-2019 at 02:50 PM.

Spyder Garage

I also like that the Elka's are based on my riding preference and weight vs a one size should fit most approach. Their video on how they have "recipes" for the various components in the shocks based on my custom setup I thought was interesting.
    2019 F3-S SE6
    Elka Stage 2 Front and Rear w/HYD
    Can-am Dragbar
    F4 Custom 28" Windscreen
    GTR Lighting LED Headlights
    Arc Led Auxiliary lights
    Signature Light
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Akrapovic Sinister Silencer
    FOBO 2 Trike TPMS
    Motorcycle Dave Gel inserts Rider and Passenger
    Foam Grips
    2019 F3-S , Monolith Satin Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    My experience and conversation's with Marcus were opposite from you are stating. Marcus is very knowledgeable about his product and found there customer service outstanding.

Spyder Garage

What kind of improvement can any shock make when there is only 1.5"-2" of front suspension travel?
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    What kind of improvement can any shock make when there is only 1.5"-2" of front suspension travel?
    Its everything...honestly, I wouldn't want to ride many of the Spyders without the front shock upgrade at a minimum

Spyder Garage

I called M2 today to pay for my new set of shocks. Much better price at $1300 then the price on the website

Talked to Marcus. Very friendly and he is definitely a "shock absorber" guy!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CapnPete View Post
    I called M2 today to pay for my new set of shocks. Much better price at $1300 then the price on the website

Talked to Marcus. Very friendly and he is definitely a "shock absorber" guy!
    I wish Marcus could explain more of the non specific details regarding his shocks. We run Fox, although I am not a huge Fox fan. In the past I spoke with Elka, and I was less than i pressed by their stuff.

I may not be building shocks for Spyders, but have been tuning and rebuilding high performance motorcycle suspension since the 1970s. There are simply certain things I look for as the price goes up.

As I mentioned, we run Fox on the front and were purchased as the BRP accessory units. I wanted Ohlins, but that was a no go on account of availability. At the price point I paid, retail was just over $500, and I paid $375 for the pair of fronts, I accept fewer bells and whistles.

Getting back to my mention of details. I have checked out the website for M2 shocks. After leaving, I remained curious as to what coatings are applied to the shock bodies to prevent wear and minimize external corrosion? Are the shock shafts typical chromed steel, or with the added cost are they Titanium Nitride or similar or are the DLC. Those to me are non proprietary details that help explain the cost. The internals, meaning piston design, shim arrangements and more obviously are how he has come up with his tuning setup. Not even asking about that. Simply info to honestly answer if people ask about them.

I hope he does well with the Spyder market. Kind of surprising, the Chinese have not found this niche market yet and offered a low cost low quality Spyder shock.

Spyder Garage

I think it would take over 20 pages of information to describe "what we do differently". I have mostly learned to not have technical discussions on the internet or phone as it is no-win. I can tell you that I don't hire "shock guys" for assembly as they will not follow directions in most cases and our designs are made to be strictly followed.

I can give a real example of what I am talking about that most will be able to digest. In 2015 when I was at JRi, Geoff May asked for shocks for the Daytona 200. I spent 2 days building two shocks for him. On paper the only thing I did was drill some bleed in the pistons so that low speed movement would work exactly the way it should. I then blueprinted the entire shock and made some "subtle changes" to the internal mechanisms that provide "back flow". On the dyno, the shock looked nearly identical to our "over the counter product", but it wasn't even close. Geoff was the fast man for the Daytona 200 from the moment the bike took its first laps until the last pit stop in the race where a fueling mis-hap cost him two spots and he finished 3rd. Now a lot of other people (from the engine builder to the brake supplier) could easily have as much credit, but the rear tire wear was above average and the ability to drive onto the banking consistently without destroying the rear tire is paramount...and so it is safe to say, "I did my job".

The main point of that story is that I built a shock that most wouldn't believe wasn't "significantly different" from any other shock that we sold over the counter, but it was...tremendously different. It is the subtle things that are more important (in many cases) than the glaring technology. That is what we do here...we follow a process that ensures a quality product each and ever time. We dyno the hell out of every shock. This really helps us so much. As of now, every shock we have built for spyders...well over 50% of them get pulled back onto the line to be properly built as I see things I don't like, but "would pass at any other shop". I could get into technology, dyno curves, bleed, etc., but that is academic when you can't replicate what you are supposed to be doing in the first place. Being driven to be the best flows through the company and I tell everyone do you work in such a way that if someone took the entire shock apart, they would be impressed.

At the end, we put up, "Best Spyder Shocks in the world"...I wouldn't want to sell anything that wasn't THE BEST. We had our customers/riders as the fastest Streetbikes in the world for Turbo, 1000cc, and Nitrous less than two and half years from opening...I am really proud that we got that done, now we are venturing into the Spyder and Harley Markets. I am so stoked about the Spyder, because at 52 years old...after riding a Spyder with our suspension, I really loved the way it rode...I MEAN LOVED IT! and after racing for nearly 20 years myself, it is hard for me to get excited, but the comfort and control of what I felt was amazing.

I didn't figure any of this out on my own. From Max at Traxxion to Jeff Ryan at JRi, those guys (and many in between) shared things with me that helped me tremendously. I do my best...to do my best.
    Last edited by M2Shocks; 06-12-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Marcus all the best with your efforts. Similar to Darren at PUSH and Adam at Kreft, your lack of simple info rings hollow and in the same way, and for similar reasons that I do not recommend Kreft or PUSH, The same holds true for M2 products.

I never asked for proprietary info, simple generic details that set your construction apart, not some multi tiered QC system. As for 20 pages explaining if you hard coat bodies or use chrome shafts or treated pistons seems a bit far fetched, but whatever.

Again, all the best with it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Marcus all the best with your efforts. Similar to Darren at PUSH and Adam at Kreft, your lack of simple info rings hollow and in the same way, and for similar reasons that I do not recommend Kreft or PUSH, The same holds true for M2 products.

I never asked for proprietary info, simple generic details that set your construction apart, not some multi tiered QC system. As for 20 pages explaining if you hard coat bodies or use chrome shafts or treated pistons seems a bit far fetched, but whatever.

Again, all the best with it.
    I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. I spent 30 pages on a article I wrote just on "how a shock works" https://www.m2shocks.com/how-a-shock-works I don't think you can fairly have a conversation on a forum and put the "full context" into a conversation.

FWIW There are three rules I use:

1. The shock cannot break, leak, or otherwise "fail". In the first thousand shocks we sold, ONLY ONE was delivered with an operational failure. Nothing made me more mad than working for a company that delivered shocks that had "oil weeping" on a consistent basis only for the engineer/designer to say, "Yeah, that is normal...see we use this "special coating" on the shaft and it promotes less stiction"...that is pure bull hockey.

2. The assembly process must pro actively address long term operation reliability. Everything from the lubricants and assembly oils we use are designed so that the shock works as long as it can. We use competitors assembly lubricants, because they work! It is funny, because the manufacturer of our assembly lube...the technicians that put together their shocks don't like it "because it is not slick enough" and won't use it. We have found it is an excellent long term lubricant. To be more specific, many guys like the Silkolene RG-2 grease for assembly as it breaks down in the oil easily so you don't have "clumps of grease" inside the shock. We only use that grease on a few areas because the grease will break down too easily when introduced to oil. The same can be said for many of the popular Moly Grease assembly lubricants.

3. The product must perform.

On item 2, I could go on for hours about assembly lubes and the discussion would be boring and so anal-retentive...no one would care, but again, it is (IMO) those details that are the most important.

So if you think "I am on a high horse". I am not. I love talking shop, but a conversation on a Forum cannot catch the full breadth or context of a complete conversation.
    Last edited by M2Shocks; 06-13-2019 at 08:59 AM.