Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M2Shocks View Post
    I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. I spent 30 pages on a article I wrote just on "how a shock works" https://www.m2shocks.com/how-a-shock-works I don't think you can fairly have a conversation on a forum and put the "full context" into a conversation.

FWIW There are three rules I use:

1. The shock cannot break, leak, or otherwise "fail". In the first thousand shocks we sold, ONLY ONE was delivered with an operational failure. Nothing made me more mad than working for a company that delivered shocks that had "oil weeping" on a consistent basis only for the engineer/designer to say, "Yeah, that is normal...see we use this "special coating" on the shaft and it promotes less stiction"...that is pure bull hockey.

2. The assembly process must pro actively address long term operation reliability. Everything from the lubricants and assembly oils we use are designed so that the shock works as long as it can. We use competitors assembly lubricants, because they work! It is funny, because the manufacturer of our assembly lube...the technicians that put together their shocks don't like it "because it is not slick enough" and won't use it. We have found it is an excellent long term lubricant. To be more specific, many guys like the Silkolene RG-2 grease for assembly as it breaks down in the oil easily so you don't have "clumps of grease" inside the shock. We only use that grease on a few areas because the grease will break down too easily when introduced to oil. The same can be said for many of the popular Moly Grease assembly lubricants.

3. The product must perform.

On item 2, I could go on for hours about assembly lubes and the discussion would be boring and so anal-retentive...no one would care, but again, it is (IMO) those details that are the most important.

So if you think "I am on a high horse". I am not. I love talking shop, but a conversation on a Forum cannot catch the full breadth or context of a complete conversation.
    I fully get all that. Yes there are assembly lubes and fluids I use based on both performance and long term results. Pretty certain the whole how the damper works is a non issue for me. Honestly, each time I mentioned it, not looking for proprietary or specific details.

Simply, your shock bodies, are the aluminum or steel, and what coatings if any are utilized, whether for looks / appearance, reduced frictions or corrosion resistance?

As for the shock shafts, are they typical chrome plated shafts, titanium nitrided, or Diamond Like Carbon?

At $2000 retail per set of three, either you have an incredible performance gain over your competition, or additional features raise the cost. Overall cost of bodies, shafts, pistons, sealheads etc to be machined is similar regardless of the manufacturer, same with springs, fluids, seals and bladders. Please explain the simple differences if any. This is not an internet debate or trial by fire.

If your stuff is good, let me share why with others if they ask.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I fully get all that. Yes there are assembly lubes and fluids I use based on both performance and long term results. Pretty certain the whole how the damper works is a non issue for me. Honestly, each time I mentioned it, not looking for proprietary or specific details.

Simply, your shock bodies, are the aluminum or steel, and what coatings if any are utilized, whether for looks / appearance, reduced frictions or corrosion resistance?

As for the shock shafts, are they typical chrome plated shafts, titanium nitrided, or Diamond Like Carbon?

At $2000 retail per set of three, either you have an incredible performance gain over your competition, or additional features raise the cost. Overall cost of bodies, shafts, pistons, sealheads etc to be machined is similar regardless of the manufacturer, same with springs, fluids, seals and bladders. Please explain the simple differences if any. This is not an internet debate or trial by fire.

If your stuff is good, let me share why with others if they ask.
    I use standard chrome shafts. I use higher drag main bearing(s)/seal to prevent leaking. Hard anodized aluminum tube/caps/etc.. They are 1875.00 retail, which is actually inexpensive based on the quality. I am the only manufacturer in the world I know of that installs torrington bearings top and bottom on all shocks as standard equipment...nevermind 35mm shocks (which I have never seen anyone do).
    Last edited by M2Shocks; 06-13-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

I don’t see why the long debate. This reminds me of the ECU flash thread. Basically it boils down to this. The Elka shocks are like the Monster Flash & the M2 shocks are like the DynoJet. The Monster (Elka) is tried & true, great performance & well reviewed. The DynoJet (M2) just came to the spyder party. Even though they claim they are as good or better than the competitor, there hasn’t been enough time, sales or reviews to know if it stands true. In a few years the norm may be DynoJet & M2 but for now I would personally rather stick with the icon staple.
    It really is a sickness!
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

One other thing....I know looks doesn’t determine performance but damn those Elka’s are pretty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It really is a sickness!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    One other thing....I know looks doesn’t determine performance but damn those Elka’s are pretty.
    These are not too shabby looking either...
    https://static.wixstatic.com/media/2..._2.jpg?retry=1

Spyder Garage

Marcus, seems we both appreciate quality springs...

Small detail, but another one of those reasons top quality costs more, riding on a quality spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    These are not too shabby looking either...
    https://static.wixstatic.com/media/2..._2.jpg?retry=1
    Ehh...no real fit & finish. Doesn’t look like they took the time to round corners or clean it up very well. Just my own opinion.
    It really is a sickness!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

dont u 2 have anything better to do like ride

Spyder Garage

I don’t have a life...that’s why I bought a Spyder.
    It really is a sickness!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    dont u 2 have anything better to do like ride
    He’s an ELKA Fanboy...

Spyder Garage

On can ams the front suspension is very narrow--the more the control equipment is, the better it can function. On my 2012 rtltd I havie installed sway bards & links-M2 shocks & V'Q5 front & Kumo rear tires. These installations will make the narrow front act just like my formula cars of years ago--these changes are necessary for the fine tuning of CanAms---In my age this is my fun in life at 87--Wallburl in Wichita Kansas-a good place to live!!!

Spyder Garage

Just got my M2’s last week. Dealer install. Their comment was that these are “Awesome” shocks. I talked with Marcus prior to the install. He left his number with the shop so they could call him if any questions arouse. Dealer said the install was pretty straight forward. Love the ride and handling. It feels like the bike is on rails! Talked with Marcus after the install and discussed how I can fine tune them to my tastes. So far I’m loving the ride.Can’t say enough about the quality of the product and the support provided to me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob16555 View Post
    Just got my M2’s last week. Dealer install. Their comment was that these are “Awesome” shocks. I talked with Marcus prior to the install. He left his number with the shop so they could call him if any questions arouse. Dealer said the install was pretty straight forward. Love the ride and handling. It feels like the bike is on rails! Talked with Marcus after the install and discussed how I can fine tune them to my tastes. So far I’m loving the ride.Can’t say enough about the quality of the product and the support provided to me.
    Bob,

Thank you for the nice words...Seeing this makes everything I do VERY WORTHWHILE! Enjoy...I will have a replacement tool out for you to adjust with.

Spyder Garage

For the rear shocks w/air what do the Elka's or M2 do for this? Do you just pull the fuse on the compressor so it doesn't run all the time and kill the motor or is there an air input in the rear shocks?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remove shock install new. Leave compressor alone and air bag

Rear shocks have no air. Air bag assist

Spyder Garage

Ok, so there's a separate air bag, not air shock?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by amcvay1979 View Post
    Ok, so there's a separate air bag, not air shock?
    That's is correct Compressor is for the air bag. The shock has no air lines or any air needed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

hoping to get my set very soon

Spyder Garage

Default My Elka Journey

Well, I've been following this long thread because I only recently became aware of M2. Up until about the first four months I owned my '15 Spyder RT-S, I was an Elka Fan. I still like Elkas, but I had to remove the Stage 1 fronts after four months because they were leaking. This occurred in the midst of other members of the club I lead also having new Elkas that began leaking. One of my member's set of Elkas let loose; as soon as he had the replacements, so followed his wife's bike; then mine. Maybe 2015 was a bad year. I sent my blown Elkas in to Impact solutions for e-build; in addition, I had Impact Solutions re-stroke an older Elka rear that was barely used on my previous 2010 RT-S, to fit my 2015. At the same time, to allay having to go back to (unsafe at any speed) Can Am stock front shocks during the Elka rebuild, I picked up a set of Fox RTs. The Fox RTs have remained on the Spyder since June of '15 and now I've crossed 21,000 miles on the bike ... the Fox RTs are bullet proof and they handle great. My re-stroked Elka Rear is hanging in. I sold my re-built Elka fronts (unused since the re-build) to another member of my club. Within a week: leaking.

Therefore, I'm very intrigued by what I'm hearing about the M2s, which could very well be my next choice when my current shocks become due, whenever that might be ... at least 10-15,000 miles into the future.
    Last edited by SilverSurfer; 09-09-2019 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Additional info

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

love love mine handling is incredible

Spyder Garage

Fact of life, if there is a chance something will break it will. Elka is tried and true and are a leader in this industry bar none. Suspension is the backbone to to make or break your ride, to touring, sport, drag racing etc. If you are serious and what adjustability and worth every penny, Elka is your choice. If you are not too concerned and still want an amazing product M2. You get what you pay for. Remember cheap is expensive and expensive is cheap.

Spyder Garage

If I ever get my M2 shocks, I'll let you know how they perform. I ordered them back in July...still waiting.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie69 View Post
    Fact of life, if there is a chance something will break it will. Elka is tried and true and are a leader in this industry bar none. Suspension is the backbone to to make or break your ride, to touring, sport, drag racing etc. If you are serious and what adjustability and worth every penny, Elka is your choice. If you are not too concerned and still want an amazing product M2. You get what you pay for. Remember cheap is expensive and expensive is cheap.
    Elka is merely popular in segments where the big players do not bother with. If Ohlins offered Spyder shocks ELKA and others would cringe. If Fox was not offered as a BRP option, and was offering their highest end products for Spyders, ELKA would cringe. If Penske offered Spyder shocks, I think you get the idea.

In short, ELKA does well in a market with minimal competition.

Spyder Garage

For what its worth from this new b! I am new to the Spyder thing but not new to performance or racing. My personal experience with these 2 companies starts like this:

I looked around some Spyder sites for information, what I found was non conclusive for me. I found some warranty issues for Elka, not much for the M2s. I do like the red anodizing on the Elka shock as my Spyder is black with a little red trim. So I sent off an email to Elka as I was looking for a slight specification change for my preference. HMMMM, 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, 4 days, no response. Now it has been over a week! So after the 4th day I sent a similar e mail to M2, well Ill be darned if I didn't get a phone call the next morning from Marcus. I had advised him I was looking at the Elka shocks, and was looking for a slight specification modification. Marcus NEVER said a negative word about Elka! He gave me nothing but his time and expertise and agreed to a spec modification. What an awesome guy, and made in USA to boot!! I am sure if I ever do have an issue, it will be a non issue. I cant wait for them to arrive!

Spyder Garage

I just talked to Marcus yesterday about my shocks. He was very apologetic that it has taken so long but his supplier, on certain parts ran out of stock and he's been waiting, i understand but patience isn't my strong suit. He told me the rear shock was built awhile ago, fronts are almost done and I should have them by the end of the week. You can tell he is very passionate and knowledgeable about his product. I don't feel I'll have a problem with the M2 shocks but if I do, i like the fact that if I call, someone will actually pick up the phone! Customer service is SO important in my opinion.