Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self Leveling

Spyder Garage

Default Self Leveling

On the Spyder RTL with the self leveling rear shock what air pressure does it us? Is a there a "tilt" mechanism that adjusts the air pressure? Can you adjust the air pressure while moving up or down?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There should be a rocker switch on the dash to make it firmer or softer......which will also move it up and down a bit.

I think the only real "sensor" is in the passenger seat to add a bit of pressure automatically when the seat is occupied.

Spyder Garage

First you did not tell us what year of RTL you have because 2018 and later are different. There is a ride height sensor in the rear with linkage connected to the swing arm. That's how it knows how much the rear suspension is compressed. Air pressure is supplied by an air compressor under the seat. That only runs when the engine is running and in gear. If you have a 2018 or later. It does not have a rocker switch on the dash to adjust it. The rocker switch was always a dumb idea and they finally got rid of it. The pillion rider seat switch has nothing to do with the suspension. It is just an input into the Vehicle Stability System.

PS If for some reason your ride height is incorrect. 2018 or later. It is only adjustable by someone with the BUDS. Most of the time that would be a dealer.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

What if you don't like the pressure that the system decides is the " correct" pressure, can you change the "set point"? The manual adjustment on the standard RT lets you put the ride ht. anywhere you feel appropriate.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
    What if you don't like the pressure that the system decides is the " correct" pressure, can you change the "set point"? The manual adjustment on the standard RT lets you put the ride ht. anywhere you feel appropriate.
    Again what year of Spyder are you talking about???

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

2018 for conversation sake

Spyder Garage

The only adjustment to the ride height on a 2018 is by having someone plug in their laptop computer with BUDS software on it and recalibrate the ride height. Because it no longer has the switch on the dash to adjust it yourself.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

So your stuck with whatever the system deems appropriate? I would rather have the manual RT system and be able to set the ride ht. where I want it!

Spyder Garage

I ride the 2018 RTL with automatic ride leveling, and so far it has been nice. Load a bunch of junk in the back, no problem. Same with adding a passenger, big or little. No sweat. The only down side I can see is future reliability. More electronics equals more stuff to break. That's why I bought the long warranty!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

There is the schroeder valve under the seat to set preload.I notice the rear end comes up when you add air but don't know if it stays there.

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

These kind of threads are so sad. So much mis-information, and I've seen it happen over and over again since I joined this forum with my new 2018 Spyder RT LIMITED 3 months ago.

So let's get things right.

1. There are TWO different types of "ACS Rear Suspension Adjustment" on a 2018 Spyder TOURING model. The BASE RT ONLY model has the MANUAL adjusting one, which you CAN manually adjust if you want to. The RTL (LIMITED Edition) has the AUTOMATIC adjusting one. It will automatically adjust the suspension to the best PSI ("best" being what the designers of the RTL determined THEY would use) for the detected load being placed on the suspension.

2. BOTH the 2018 and 2019 RT Operator's Guides describe BOTH these systems on pages 48 and 49 in the 2018 Guide and pages 49 and 50 in the 2019 Guide. Does anybody read the darn owner's manuals when you buy a $24,000+ vehicle anymore? I guess not everybody does. What a shame. But please note...the Operator's Guides are called "Spyder RT" guides. There is NO (that I know of) specific "Spyder RTL" guide. The "Spyder RT" guide CAN list systems that are different on an RT vs an RTL model. It is up to the Spyder's OWNER to know what systems are on THEIR model Spyder to begin with. See #3 below.

3. It is the BUYER'S responsibility to do their research about what comes on a vehicle BEFORE they buy it. If they had done this, they would have known the BASE 2018 RT uses the MANUAL adjusting system. The 2018 RTL (LIMITED Edition) uses the AUTOMATIC adjusting one. If the owner hadn't wanted an "automatic" one, they should NOT have bought the RTL "Limited" edition. BTW, here's the link to the CanAm site listing the differences between a 2018 RT and RTL versions. The information was always there for anyone to read before making their purchase, and could still be used as a reference before answering any forum questions about them.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/2018-models.html (Scroll down to get to the RT vs RTL comparisons)

4. As someone else has already mentioned, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...if you do NOT own the YEAR, MAKE, and MODEL of the "Spyder" being asked about in a thread, do NOT base your answer on your OWN make and model year. The 2018 and 2019 RT and RTL's are NOT the same as any earlier year's models. If you are going to answer a question about a 2018 or 2019 RT or RTL, have you read the specific Operator's Guides for them yet?

I'm sorry if I might sound harsh, but I have had the SAME kind of INCORRECT advice given to me by well-meaning people here about my 2018 RTL since I joined this forum. Please try to make sure you are offering ACCURATE advice to someone BEFORE you answer a question about THEIR make and model year Spyder.

For the OP: According to your post you bought the 2018 RTL (Limited). It has the Automatic system. If you didn't want that, you should have bought the RT ("base") model with the Manual system. Sorry. The 2018 RTL is going to automatically decide and adjust what ride height (PSI pressure) it wants to use based on the detected vehicle load.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

So what I said was correct...the RT is the better choice to get the ride you want not a predetermined ride ht determined by the BRP engineers with the RTL (2018)

Spyder Garage

For the record I have a standard 2018 standard RT, I have the read the manual which is not clear about the question I asked.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good comment FalconAF, you link does compare the RT and RTL.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
    So your stuck with whatever the system deems appropriate? I would rather have the manual RT system and be able to set the ride ht. where I want it!
    This is especially true if the bottom just barely drags when going up a loading ramp.......and putting it at the highest setting gets it to clear.

New isn't always better.

There are a LOT of things I hate about the '18 model year changes and I will NEVER have one.....never, ever.

Spyder Garage

So finally we get the real question from the OP and all the information to give a accurate and clear answer. So let me phrase the question as I understand it. Is the air suspension on a 2018 RT better than a 2018 RTL because you can manually adjust it on a RT?"

My answer is no! On a 2018 RTL the suspension is automatic and air pressure will change as the load changes. So the ride height will always be correct no matter the load. On the base 2018 RT you have to manually add or release air through the valve under the seat. So whatever you set the pressure to is always going to be a compromise. Because to be practical you will not adjust everytime the load changes.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Thopper, back at the beginning, you asked, "On the Spyder RTL with the self leveling rear shock what air pressure does it us(e)? Is a there a "tilt" mechanism that adjusts the air pressure? Can you adjust the air pressure while moving up or down?"
    The answers could have been as simple as "That depends, Yes, No" BB and others explained this well.

Then you stated in response to BB's correct answer "What if you don't like the pressure that the system decides is the " correct" pressure, can you change the "set point"? The manual adjustment on the standard RT lets you put the ride ht. anywhere you feel appropriate." (Oh don't we wish).
    Your dealer CAN adjust the automatic ride height within BRP engineer's parameters, but even they or users with a manually adjustable cannot exceed the ride height limits that the stock mechanical components create. I'm sure that's what you meant by "appropriate", but certainly not anywhere. (This coming from a former MX'er riding a touring bike, who EVER thought 4 some inches was ground clearance??? It's not even cat clearance.....I have 4 cats and they're ALL taller than 4 inches...)

If you raise the rear ride height you're also potentially lowering the front as far as some speed bumps. I think I measured the overall ride height adjustment on my '13 RTL from the lowest recommended air bag setting (40 PSI in my case) with no passenger to the maximum air bag pressure with one passenger and the difference (at the primary muffler) was less than 1 inch. My rear fender to ground height was only a 2 inch difference from NO air pressure to max air pressure with an unloaded, no driver, no passenger state.

The ('13) service manual uses the rear screw of the footrest support panel (screw aft of the passenger floorboards) and has a range of 45mm's or 1.77 inches.... (Unloaded bike again).

But you have me curious, have you measured your Spyder's ride height with minimum pressure (for your rider weight) and you sitting on it. Then filled it to max allowed pressure and re measure. What range to you get on your '18RT? I'm curious and would really like to know.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    So finally we get the real question from the OP and all the information to give a accurate and clear answer. So let me phrase the question as I understand it. Is the air suspension on a 2018 RT better than a 2018 RTL because you can manually adjust it on a RT?"

My answer is no! On a 2018 RTL the suspension is automatic and air pressure will change as the load changes. So the ride height will always be correct no matter the load. On the base 2018 RT you have to manually add or release air through the valve under the seat. So whatever you set the pressure to is always going to be a compromise. Because to be practical you will not adjust everytime the load changes.
    I think it is more of a matter that you finally understand the question. Easy rider gets it!

Spyder Garage

I'm happy with the RTL. I kind of like *not* having to mess with suspension leveling/pre-load issues. That's a perk in a lot folks minds.

Spyder Garage

Your comment "On the base 2018 RT you have to manually add or release air through the valve under the seat" may not be totally accurate. I have a 2018 RTL and it does have a shredder valve under the seat. Does that mean that even with the RTL automatic air adjustment, you can still add/remove air from the bag? I'm just curious..
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    Your comment "On the base 2018 RT you have to manually add or release air through the valve under the seat" may not be totally accurate. I have a 2018 RTL and it does have a shredder valve under the seat. Does that mean that even with the RTL automatic air adjustment, you can still add/remove air from the bag? I'm just curious..
    I am not sure what your asking. Let's try this. My 2018 F3L has a schrader valve too. Adding or releasing air manually will do really nothing. It will just add or release air to the correct the ride height. The next time the engine is running and in gear.

The Base model RT has no built in compressor to add air or an electrically controlled valve to release air. So if you pick up a passenger. You should go to the gas station and add air. Drop off the passenger and let air out. In reality that's not going to happen. So you compromise and put in the correct amount of air that will suit most of the time.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I have an 18 RTL and tho the "ride hieght" may be automatic adding air to the valve stiffens the ride noticeably. If you are bottoming out on bumps add air pressure.I equate this valve with turning a standard shock up or down a notch. Be careful adding air,it doesn't take much to increase pressure quite a bit.A couple bumps of the chuck does it.

Spyder Garage

On the 2014-2017 RTS/RTL, it has the Auto Level and the soft/hard switch for the suspension. How much of a difference does that make? I haven't had a lot of time to test it.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

I am not sure what your asking. Let's try this. My 2018 F3L has a schrader valve too. Adding or releasing air manually will do really nothing. It will just add or release air to the correct the ride height. The next time the engine is running and in gear.

The Base model RT has no built in compressor to add air or an electrically controlled valve to release air. So if you pick up a passenger. You should go to the gas station and add air. Drop off the passenger and let air out. In reality that's not going to happen. So you compromise and put in the correct amount of air that will suit most of the time.
    So, if adding air manually, what is the maximum pressure you can/should have on the air bag? To know that may be helpful.
    2018 RT Limited "Blondie"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmo View Post
    So, if adding air manually, what is the maximum pressure you can/should have on the air bag? To know that may be helpful.
    Fully explained on page 48 and 49 of your owners manual.

2018 F3 LIMITED