Spyder Garage

Default Replacement Brake Pads for 2014 RT-Limited

Looks like I will need to replace my brake pads soon. Any recommendations? Shall I go with OEM BRP brake pads or aftermarket
    ones?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Benggolf
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Spyder Garage

Go to the home page for this forum. Find BajaRon's Ad. Order a new set of EBC brake pads at the best price you will find. Stop in comfort and safety, and cheaper then OEM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

+1 and follow well the installation and break-in procedures.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Benggolf View Post
    Looks like I will need to replace my brake pads soon. Any recommendations? Shall I go with OEM BRP brake pads or aftermarket
    ones?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Benggolf
    When you say " looks like ", what does that mean ….. Even Ron will tell you most people replace their Pads long before they are worn out ( ie. One mm ) …. My rear lasted 30,000 mi. ( with pad left to use ) and my fronts 42,000 mi. ( with pad left to use ) …… It's not that difficult to actually look at the material on the brake shoe to tell for sure …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    When you say " looks like ", what does that mean ….. Even Ron will tell you most people replace their Pads long before they are worn out ( ie. One mm ) …. My rear lasted 30,000 mi. ( with pad left to use ) and my fronts 42,000 mi. ( with pad left to use ) …… It's not that difficult to actually look at the material on the brake shoe to tell for sure …… Mike
    True. Many do replace their pads prematurely. Though for different reasons. It isn't always due to lack of knowledge. If you need some help, let me know.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

SPYDER RYDERS KC Helped me change my brake pads still had wear to go but we wre going to Deadwood for 3rd time towing trailer this trip. Wanted to make sure we were safe. 23000 miles. Just want to say to DIY mechanics do the back brakes first! If you collapse the front first it will be a bear to get the back compressed. Our resident mechanics been there done that bought the t shirt. Lesson learned why you should join group. The friendships, information, lessons learned, $$pitfulls, all customs add ons, ETC. Teach a man to fish. We have been so blessed to know and run with the group. We are always ready to share what we learned. Loved SPYDER JAM 2019. Glad to see MOGANG, GREEN COUNTY, Out of staters, other Ryders. Safe trails.

Spyder Garage

Blueknight911, we happen to change the OEM rear tire (21,000 km.) over the weekend and got the chance to look at the rear brake pads.
    They have about 2.0 mm thickness left on each side of the brake pads.

Would it be a good idea to replace all the brake pads (front & rear) at this time? Thanks.

Benggolf
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Spyder Garage

Thank you, BajaRon. I just sent you a private message.

Benggolf
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    True. Many do replace their pads prematurely. Though for different reasons. It isn't always due to lack of knowledge. If you need some help, let me know.

Thank you, BajaRon. I just sent you a private message.

Benggolf
    2017 Honda Rebel 500 ABS
    2016 Spyder F3T
    2014 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Indian Scout
    2014 Honda 300 Forza

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Benggolf View Post
    Blueknight911, we happen to change the OEM rear tire (21,000 km.) over the weekend and got the chance to look at the rear brake pads.
    They have about 2.0 mm thickness left on each side of the brake pads.

Would it be a good idea to replace all the brake pads (front & rear) at this time? Thanks.

Benggolf
    Down here we use miles not km's. ( so my rear 30,000 might be 35,000km. +/- ) and as someone above mentioned the rear usually wears sooner than the fronts …. it's your call, but I think you have a safe 10,000km left …...good luck …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
    SPYDER RYDERS KC Helped me change my brake pads still had wear to go but we wre going to Deadwood for 3rd time towing trailer this trip. Wanted to make sure we were safe. 23000 miles. Just want to say to DIY mechanics do the back brakes first! If you collapse the front first it will be a bear to get the back compressed. Our resident mechanics been there done that bought the t shirt. Lesson learned why you should join group. The friendships, information, lessons learned, $$pitfulls, all customs add ons, ETC. Teach a man to fish. We have been so blessed to know and run with the group. We are always ready to share what we learned. Loved SPYDER JAM 2019. Glad to see MOGANG, GREEN COUNTY, Out of staters, other Ryders. Safe trails.
    What year and model Spyder do you have?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...