Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Tender?

Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender?

Hello all,
    Since this is our first bike.... ever a 2019 RTL can someone point me in the right direction to a GOOD battery tender?

Also, There appears to be a plugin of some kind behind the left front tire.....I was told it was for a tender.... but I'm not 100% sure....can someone confirm that for me?

Thanks in advance,
    P.W.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 06-06-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Deltran Battery Tender Junior, I think is the best. Not sure about your connection behind the wheel, Would have to see it.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I personally like and use the BatteryMINDer brand. There are many and I'm sure others will post up their favorite brand.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Deltran Battery Tender Junior, I think is the best. Not sure about your connection behind the wheel, Would have to see it.
    It's a two prong, one male and one female connector.....I would love to post a pic. but not very handy at that kind of stuff.

P.W.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tibadoe View Post
    I personally like and use the BatteryMINDer brand. There are many and I'm sure others will post up their favorite brand.
    Can you narrow it down to a couple for me?? So many to chose from.....confusing....

Spyder Garage

Hopefully someone with a 2019 will chime in and let us know. Best way to add photo is take it with your phone if you have one. then e-mail it to your self. save it to your PC then you can add it here by clicking on the Insert Image icon at the top of this box click on from computer then click browse. find the photo on you pc double click the photo and wait for it to load it takes a few min. to load to this site. Something you can try later if you want. Or you can use a digital camera and down load the photo to your pc that way too.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Hopefully someone with a 2019 will chime in and let us know. Best way to add photo is take it with your phone if you have one. then e-mail it to your self. save it to your PC then you can add it here by clicking on the Insert Image icon at the top of this box click on from computer then click browse. find the photo on you pc double click the photo and wait for it to load it takes a few min. to load to this site. Something you can try later if you want. Or you can use a digital camera and down load the photo to your pc that way too.
    LOL....you make it sound so easy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by P.W. View Post
    LOL....you make it sound so easy.
    it is easy once you do it one time. when you have time go to the Support & testing area of the forum and try posting a photo. Anything just to see if you can do it and watch how it works. Once you get it you can always delete (edit the photo out) if you want.
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Can you narrow it down to a couple for me?? So many to chose from.....confusing....
    Model #12117: 12 Volt 1.33 Amp is a older model you can find on Amazon or Model #12117C on eBay for aound $25 plus shipping. I have a few of these older models and they are over 10 years old and still going strong.

The newer model is Model #1500 which you can find on Amazon and other places also. I pick them up when they go on sale for $39 or so dollars.

Look at the pictures I have linked and you will see the type plug that is used. If it's the same as what you already have than it is a charger plug. If not, it comes with one and you can install on battery yourself.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much!

P.W.

Spyder Garage

Make sure whatever you get is suitable for the type of battery tech is installed in your Spyder be it AGM, flooded cell or GEL tech. They each require different charging profiles and not all chargers sense this automatically. It should be AGM but my experience is limited to a 2011 RT.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Make sure whatever you get is suitable for the type of battery tech is installed in your Spyder be it AGM, flooded cell or GEL tech. They each require different charging profiles and not all chargers sense this automatically. It should be AGM but my experience is limited to a 2011 RT.
    Good point.....How do I find out what type of battery it is without ripping things apart? Anyone know what type it would be?

Spyder Garage

If it's a Battery Tender plug it will look like this photo. I've used Battery Tender brand maintenance tenders for decades and I'm very pleased as I get years more in batteries than most people do in AZ.

Rob

Battery Tender.jpg
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

I've been using the Deltron Battery Tenders for over 30 years now and will say that battery life has gone from 3 years to 6 plus years. When my vehicles (car, bike, boat) are not being used, they are hooked up). I can also attest to the fact that stands behind their products and goes much beyond their warranty. You can get a Battery Tender Jr. at Walmart for around $30.00. Keep in mind that this is not a battery charger anc will not do a thing for a discharged battery, I was really surprised when I first started using one at how long it took to top off a battery even after a long ride, todays charging systems seem to have a hard time keeping up with all the electronics on todays vehicles.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    If it's a Battery Tender plug it will look like this photo. I've used Battery Tender brand maintenance tenders for decades and I'm very pleased as I get years more in batteries than most people do in AZ.

Rob

Battery Tender.jpg
    That's what it looks like.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good point.....How do I find out what type of battery it is without ripping things apart? Anyone know what type it would be?
    Totally unnecessary to worry about that. The difference doesn't mean squat when you are talking about floating a fully charged battery.

Two things:
    That pigtail should be INSIDE the Frunk, sticking out through the liner where it is protected from the weather but still easy to get to by opening the Frunk.

Second, go to any auto parts store or even WalMart and ask them for an automatic battery maintainer with a capacity between 3/4 and 2 amp.
    The Schumacher brand at WalMart is good equipment.....and comes with various cables too.
    The most popular brand is Battery Tender.
    Cost should be between $25 and $35.

Don't obsess. This really isn't that hard.

AND FINALLY......connecting a tender really is not necessary unless and until the bike will sit unused for 2 weeks or more.
    If it is ridden on a regular basis, you don't need it at all.
    Winter in Iowa, however, it will be good to have one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Totally unnecessary to worry about that. The difference doesn't mean squat when you are talking about floating a fully charged battery.
    Don't agree but I am not willing to engage this discussion. Please do your research before buying a charger and good luck.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Don't agree but I am not willing to engage this discussion. Please do your research before buying a charger and good luck.
    That's OK, you don't have to agree and it won't hurt my feelings.

But I have done my "research"......over about 50 years as an Electronics Engineering Technician.....and I quite assure you that ANY "good" automatic battery maintainer is also good for an AGM battery, without any extra settings. Any actual difference is insignificant.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 06-07-2019 at 11:32 AM. Reason: argumentative

Spyder Garage

You can buy good battery tender from Costco, it's high amp and good price when they on sale. I have all battery tender from all my motorcycle.

Spyder Garage

The Schumacher's maintainers look to be a better value than some of the Battery Tender branded models. I have three of them. For the price, they have better amperage, and they CAN charge a fully discharged battery. Nice and slow - the way a motorcycle battery is supposed to be charged. IMHO Battery Tender is milking the fact that their brand name is a generic term.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
    The Schumacher's maintainers look to be a better value than some of the Battery Tender branded models. I have three of them. For the price, they have better amperage, and they CAN charge a fully discharged battery. Nice and slow - the way a motorcycle battery is supposed to be charged. IMHO Battery Tender is milking the fact that their brand name is a generic term.
    49020542-FF22-4996-94C7-5CEDDCCBFF69.jpg have one & works great, 5 yr warranty don’t hurt none( keep package & receipt ) Particularly like the display, confirms what voltage it is charging & what % the battery is at. The built in folding hook is quite handy too tender may be milking the name but that’s just business in general

Oh ya FYI also come with 3 ways to connect: tender pigtail, clamps, or 12VDC cigarette plug in. word of caution still check polarity on the pigtails there is no standard.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    49020542-FF22-4996-94C7-5CEDDCCBFF69.jpg have one & works great, 5 yr warranty don’t hurt none( keep package & receipt ) Particularly like the display, confirms what voltage it is charging & what % the battery is at. The built in folding hook is quite handy too tender may be milking the name but that’s just business in general

Oh ya FYI also come with 3 ways to connect: tender pigtail, clamps, or 12VDC cigarette plug in.
    Yes, I have one of that model with the display and handlebar hook, and two of the brick-style models. All came with both pigtail and clamp battery connects, and cost significantly less than 'Battery Tender' equivalents.

Spyder Garage

got mine for the motorcycle and RT at walmart for about 12 bucks each. the motorcycle one has been in use for years...... I don't think you have to buy one thats $$$$$$
    2018 RT , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
    The Schumacher's maintainers look to be a better value than some of the Battery Tender branded models.
    I can't argue with any of that. I use mine on a lot of different things.
    BUT.....the price difference isn't THAT much......and there are several good ones out there.
    I don't think that obsessing over saving a couple of bucks is a good thing a lot of the time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Realtor View Post
    got mine for the motorcycle and RT at walmart for about 12 bucks each. the motorcycle one has been in use for years...... I don't think you have to buy one thats $$$$$$
    I don't think you can get a "good" one for that price anymore.
    Usually around $25.