Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind and ask them to look at it when I take it for the 3k check.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Today I stopped by the dealership where I bought my Ryker asked the service manager about the whine,
    He told me its the CVT that is making the noise, not the fuel pump. Don't know what to believe,
    most people are sure its the fuel pump, think I agree with most people
    Hasn't made the noise since the temps haven't been as high lately

Spyder Garage

I would say that your service manager is smoking the wacky weed. That is not the CVT. It is the fuel pump. I have had it occur to me on just a couple of occasion's and as described by many other posts, it was during hot weather with a tank there was less than half full.

Spyder Garage

I have had the same issue with my 600 Ryker. Performance is not bothered by it, but my ears are. It happens to be a periodicle issue, so I ignore it. Especially if I don't have my hearing aids in. Ha, ha. Geo333

Spyder Garage

So I acquired two brand new 2019 Ryker Rallys last month for my wife and I. I first noticed this whine on my tryke, and now I have heard it on hers also. On her tryke the fuel tank was full, mine was nearly full. I performed a search in these forums, and this older thread is what I found. Is this only a problem on the 2019 models? Has there been any positive solutions by BRP since this thread was last posted on 10 months ago?

Spyder Garage

I live in AZ too. Mine did the whine last summer but it wasn’t as prevalent in the winter. Now it is back.
    2022 RT , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We all need to call BRP and complain so they know we aren’t happy with this annoying Ryker fuel pump noise. IMHO It’s a distracting, irritating, concentration breaking issue that needs rectified immediately before some one gets injured or worse!

Spyder Garage

I spoke with a dealer today. Said it’s a known issue. Currently no fix but can am supposedly working on a prototype/new fuel pump. No word yet on how can am will address this- probably through recalls but it is apparently in process by can am. So far they have not heard of any failures yet I was told
    2019 Rally , Black / Yellow

Spyder Garage

OK - I have the 2020 900 Ace. It has happened with mine a couple times - I am in AZ but it is Winter. Temp were in the low 70’’s yesterday. About 70 miles into my ride yesterday it started whining. Continued while at a stop sign. I had about 40 miles of fuel left. This is not CVT, and not the fan (it wasn’t on). I am sure that it is the fuel pump as well. I haven’t filled up yet, but I am pretty certain that I won’t hear it today as the gas station is nearby.
    I don’t remember if I was low on fuel the first time.
    The whine was exactly like the 3 youtube examples sounded like.

Spyder Garage

I'd like to bring this issue to the attention of our brilliant members, again, because it is driving me crazy. I am experiencing this "whine" on my 2018 F3T. It is the fuel filler opening, making the noise. If I put my hand over the seam of the opening, the noise is gone! It's air (fuel) pressure leaking through the fuel "cap". It's sort of like a tea kettle that whistles when the water heats and the air pressure increases enough to blow the whistle. Is it just a poor fitting cap? There is a rubber seal piece. Maybe it needs to be replaced? Or is the tank not venting as it should?
    -Carsong
    2018 F3t
    2018 F3T , Position 5/ full size Matt Black

Spyder Garage

Carsong, that's GOTTA be the tank not venting as it should!! The Filler cap is meant to be sealed so that fumes/vapours don't leak out that way, venting via the evap cannister instead.... so if your CAP is laking anything, it's DEFINITELY NOT VENTING via the evap cannister like it should!

Blocked/failed Purge valve maybe? Kinked hose to the evap cannister? Wasp nest in the outlet/vent to atmosphere?? I really dunno which it might be, or if it'd be anything else; but if your Filler cap is bleeding anything under pressure, then the evap cannister side of the vent system is clearly not working.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

After 2,200 miles, my 2020 600 is making the fuel pump noise.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by snayl135 View Post
    I spoke with a dealer today. Said it’s a known issue. Currently no fix but can am supposedly working on a prototype/new fuel pump. No word yet on how can am will address this- probably through recalls but it is apparently in process by can am. So far they have not heard of any failures yet I was told

No failures.....???? Another irresponsible response. Fuel pumps HAVE FAILED!!!!! Mine did on my 2014 RTL. I posted on this thread back in 2019 about the same exact noise others experienced and was posted on youtube. Fortunately, my pump failed in my driveway. Bike was picked up by the dealer and fixed under warranty except for my $50.00 deductible. The dealer invoiced the fuel pump R&R to BRP for over $1,000.00!!!! While my bike was sitting at the dealership waiting to be fixed (over 30 days) my warranty expired. Sold the bike as soon as it got out of the shop. I just couldn't afford to put up with this nonsense from BRP and it's dealerships. If your dealers are telling you about this not being an issue, I will be happy to provide them with all the details of my failure experience..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

C'mon guys, you've heard it before, but I'll say it once again - there's no need to argue!! A couple of posts have already been removed from public display because they were unnecessarily argumentative!

It's pretty clear that at least SOME Rykers and SOME Spyders have or develop an intrusive fuel pump whine, possibly because both models may well use the same or at least similar fuel pumps. . So while this particular thread happens to be in the Ryker section (albeit maybe just for now... ) there is no reason to completely ignore the experiences of those who have had the same problem on their Spyders; not is there any reason to jump on anyone else posting simply because they've offered info/their experiences with the same problem on their Spyder in an attempt to help!!

So please, play nice; and just be a little tolerant of all those who are trying to help, whether they are talking about &/or ryding a Spyder OR a Ryker!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Maybe I missed it, but hearing about a possible new pump design, wondering if they've fixed it for 2021?

Also worth mentioning - rumor has it the gas gauge lies like a big wet dog, and two bars is sucking fumes.

Also wondering if potential venting issues is why they've added a for real gas cap?

And ... I've had CVT belts whine some if they glaze up. Wondering if it's the hot rodders who are having the problem?
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

I had this happen on Day 2 of an 8-day trip. 2019 Ryker with 2500 miles on it. I only had the Ryker for a few days and was not totally familiar, so like a few others at first I thought that I was hearing some kind of warning tone. As I was already 500 miles from home, this noise caused some concern. It came and went over the trip, but quit on Day 8 and has not recurred in over a week.

Odd that Can Am has no answer for this. The service tech at a local dealer never heard of the problem.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have not experienced this yet with my 2021 900 Ace.The bike does only have 1400 miles on it though.

Spyder Garage

my 2 cents....I have not had any whine yet with my Ryker (I haven't put a lot of miles on it yet), but reading this thread got me thinking of my car. It's a Suzuki Kizashi with a CVT that likes to whine. Us Kizashi owners discovered that doing a fluid exchange on the CVT greatly reduced it and is proving to extend the life of the CVT, despite Suzukis insistence that it's a maintenance free item...glad I didn't listen to them! All that to say, someday if I get the whine I may start with a CVT fluid exchange...at least as a good preventative maintenance procedure if nothing else! (...now wondering what the service interval is for the CVT, if at all according to BRP?? Guess I'll have to look into that someday)
    2019 Ryker 900
    Goodies list: 2up seating with Can-am comfort seats and foldable back rest / Can-am handguards and deflectors / LinQ top case / Can-am tank bag / Elka Stage 3 rear shock / Baja Ron anti-sway bar / AdvancedSportTouring helmet locks / Providence cup holder w/ABC bottle cage / SlingMods parking brake lock / keyless "Duo" frunk lock / front fender sequential LED turn signal and running lights / brake light flashers / Shift Jockey w/Twisted Shifterz Shift Knob / rear turn signal mod

Spyder Garage

It's not the CVT. The noise occurs when first powering up the Ryker when the fuel pump pressurizes the system, before the motor turns over.

Belt replacement at 12K miles. No fluid.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    It's not the CVT. A SIMILAR noise occurs when first powering up the Ryker when the fuel pump pressurizes the system, before the motor turns over.
    There ... fixed it for ya ... <G>

That said, my Royal Star's fuel pump will whine some when sucking fumes. Not actually any louder, but the big gas tank makes a great resonator.

PS ... anyone get down and dirty yet with a mechanic's stethoscope to track down exactly where the noise is coming from? Lot's of mechanical things can whine - try straight cut gears sometime.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Interesting how you can tell what a noise that you haven't heard sounds like.

Spyder Garage

I have experienced all of the above including fuel pump failure. I want to point out that the failure is not abrupt. It happens over time and manifests itself through a lack of power at higher speeds as the fuel pump cannot generate enough pressure to supply the engine when traveling, in my case, at Interstate speeds. The noise is definitely the fuel pump..

I have a 2019 and experience this early on when fuel pumps were in very short supply and on months long backorder. So, taking a risk, I took out the fuel pump assembly from the tank and inspected the fuel pump closely to see if I can purchase another fuel pump to fit within the assembly. As a result of clean living, I was able to find the right fuel pump and install it in the assembly and reinstall in the bike. This solved the problem for a year or so but then the sound started to come back. At this point, I took it in to canam to have its serviced. This was last fall. They indicated it was a known issue and there was a fix that did not involve replacing the fuel pump but somehow adding something to the top of the fuel pump assembly where it is attached to the tank.

Well they applied this fix and it did help stop the noise again for a while. It still comes back periodically but I have learned to live with it. Other than the annoying sound, I really do not believe that you need to be worried that you're gonna be left on the street with a suddenly failed fuel pump. You will get plenty of notice that you're having a problem.

Incidentally, if you do experience the high speed hesitation of a failing fuel pump, one way to ensure you get home Is to just keep your tank more than halfway full at all times. This reduces the demands on the fuel pump apparently and I did not have any highway hesitation when I had more than a 1/2 a tank of gas.

Hope this helps.