Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    Other than an irritating sound, has anyone actually had a breakdown because of a fuel pump problem?

Inquiring minds need to know.
    Runs perfectly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CTAC View Post
    https://youtu.be/QCfI7zF7CiU
    https://youtu.be/MJ9JJdULFZo
    https://youtu.be/O2-Mi5EUV68

No performance problems that I have noticed but sure doesn't sound pleasant.
    That is quite a bit louder than the sound I used to get!

Spyder Garage

Other than this intermittent annoying noise, the wheels needing an alignment and learning to accept nuances of the clunky drivetrain, I think the engineering is pretty well executed. Gas mileage is right around the 30 mark but I accelerate hard almost every chance I get (fun factor). Rotax engine at 6K sure sounds sweet. Maybe I will get a F3 Limited someday, but for now this little beast is too much fun.

I have nothing against the Ryker. I like them... I love their look and all.
    I was only saying that a noise like that will literally drive me nuts... I have issues with continuous high pitch noises - I get irritated very quickly. I would personally most probably end up driving it into a wall if I would hear that constantly.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mrNewt View Post
    I have nothing against the Ryker. I like them... I love their look and all.
    I was only saying that a noise like that will literally drive me nuts... I have issues with continuous high pitch noises - I get irritated very quickly. I would personally most probably end up driving it into a wall if I would hear that constantly.
    I totally get it. I'm thinking if enough folks respond with their fuel pump whine stories, maybe that will infulence BRP to take a close look at the issue. Root cause is probably something very simple.
    2019 Rally , Black on black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

According to some FB groups BRP will install a new pump for those that go to dealers and complain and the new pump is of a new design. Don't know if its true? I'm waiting till riding season is over here before I take it to the dealer for the pump.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KC61 View Post
    I usually hear whining when I get home from a ride, it's my wife.
    😂😂😂😂😄😄😋
    "IT'S BETTER TO BE SHOT OUT OF A CANNON THAN SQUEEZED OUT OF A TUBE"-Dr. HS Thompson

Spyder Garage

Default F=%@$!!!

A very loud sort of whistle started today on my Rally after scraping a speed bump. I'm thinking I may have pinched the gas vent and it's acting like a pinched balloon as one let's the air out.🤔🤠
    "IT'S BETTER TO BE SHOT OUT OF A CANNON THAN SQUEEZED OUT OF A TUBE"-Dr. HS Thompson

Spyder Garage

I totally get it. I'm thinking if enough folks respond with their fuel pump whine stories, maybe that will infulence BRP to take a close look at the issue. Root cause is probably something very simple.
    Good luck with that. Remember DESS, and 13,s catching fire. Don’t mean to be a spoil sport, just sayin. BRP doesn’t respond to readily, other than cashing our checks.

Spyder Garage

Post Dealer said it's the fuel pump

Hello all.. thought I would tell you what happened with me yesterday
    Picked up my Rally just about two weeks ago. I have now less just under 200 miles on it. I experienced the whining early on but yesterday during a group ride, about 75 miles in....the sound elevated to an extremely loud whine. Enough so that my biker friend riding behind me could hear it and that was with his earplugs in. We cut the ride short and headed over to the dealership I purchased it from so they could hear it first hand. After about and hour of inspecting it (I assume they took it apart to look).. they determined it was the full pump.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have about 2300 miles on my Rally. The fuel pump whine started at about 1200 miles. It comes and goes and can be quite loud. Loud enough so I hear it over the music in my Bluetooth speakers. I find keeping it more full with gas vs the gas gauge reading 3/4 or below helps for less whine. I haven't had any issues in the thousand miles its been doing it. It's just annoying. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to take it for a 500 mile or more trip tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Rob
    Last edited by NickiJ; 07-29-2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Correction

Spyder Garage

Hot day- Stopped for gas after 100 miles of 92 degrees- Fan on and little whine before shutdown- Filled with gas -drove 5 miles home to garage - No whine- No fan.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Wondering if the people with a noise pump have ever ran the fuel tank really low or completely empty.
    2019 F3S , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Severnpaul View Post
    Wondering if the people with a noise pump have ever ran the fuel tank really low or completely empty.
    Completely empty no. Low enough for the fuel light to come on......yes.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NickiJ View Post
    Hello all.. thought I would tell you what happened with me yesterday
    Picked up my Rally just about two weeks ago. I have now less just under 200 miles on it. I experienced the whining early on but yesterday during a group ride, about 75 miles in....the sound elevated to an extremely loud whine. Enough so that my biker friend riding behind me could hear it and that was with his earplugs in. We cut the ride short and headed over to the dealership I purchased it from so they could hear it first hand. After about and hour of inspecting it (I assume they took it apart to look).. they determined it was the full pump.
    I have had similiar experience while headed to the KC Chiefs training camp this weekend. While in traffic, the whine got so loud I could barely talk over it with my riding partner. Maybe others affected by this annoying anomaly will post their short videos of their fuel pump noise so BRP can get a larger sample size. Anyone know how much a new fuel pump costs?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have had similiar experience while headed to the KC Chiefs training camp this weekend. While in traffic, the whine got so loud I could barely talk over it with my riding partner. Maybe others affected by this annoying anomaly will post their short videos of their fuel pump noise so BRP can get a larger sample size. Anyone know how much a new fuel pump costs?
    $400 on CheapCycle Parts but dealers will replace under warranty for free if you complain about it.

Spyder Garage

Seems like a lot of people having the noise issue with the fuel pump.

I only have about 600 miles on mine and have run the fuel tank almost empty
    to see how far I could go and no noise yet, knock on wood.

Its a known fact that with the fuel pump located in the gas tank that it
    needs some fuel covering it for cooling, this has been the case for autos
    and even states it in many manuals.
    With the Ryker engine directly below the tank it probably can get pretty warm on a hot day.

But that is not an excuse for whining noise or failure but it can take its toll over the years
    if your in the habit of running a low fuel tank.

If I here an abnormal noise from mine you can bet it will be documented before the warranty is up.
    -Jimmy

2019 Ryker 900
    2018 Honda Goldwing

Spyder Garage

What I’ve noticed on mine, whine only when really hot out and drive for a while. Once I get home and it cools off it goes away. Front wheel bearings have rust and it bothers me to death! Rear one is fine though. Brakes are a bit squeaky at times. Other then that she is perfect. Waiting for the weather to cool off and the dealer will have to fix these issues. If it leaves a bad taste in my mouth on how they handle it I’ll sell it soon as it’s all addressed and get something else.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by djdilliodon View Post
    What I’ve noticed on mine, whine only when really hot out and drive for a while. Once I get home and it cools off it goes away. Front wheel bearings have rust and it bothers me to death! Rear one is fine though. Brakes are a bit squeaky at times. Other then that she is perfect. Waiting for the weather to cool off and the dealer will have to fix these issues. If it leaves a bad taste in my mouth on how they handle it I’ll sell it soon as it’s all addressed and get something else.
    I have no idea what you just said.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What are u not understanding lol? I know this thread is about the whining sound but I added what else I’m experiencing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    He notices that his whines only when its hot out.

He is more bothered by the rust that is developing on his front wheel bearings.

Spyder Garage

Spoke with the mechanic at my Kansas City dealer after work today so they could hear the annoying fuel pump noise first hand. Note: Previously, the service manager had been provided videos in which you can easily hear the noise (you can refer to one of my prior posts in this thread). Good news is they looked up on the dealer service network blog and allegedly BRP is finally listening to us and have acknowledged it is a problem. However, no actionable warranty solution is yet available. If others hear updates or different information, please let us know.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tslepebull View Post
    I hear the same with my Rally. It is not the fan; that is a separate noise. What I hear is similar to the whine of fluorescent lights or a transformer. I have assumed it is the fuel pump or perhaps the magneto.
    Ryker uses a "magneto?" I thought magnetos were a thing of the past.

Spyder Garage

Mine is making this sound, and I only seem to hear it when it’s hot. Sometimes, though, I get the hum when I turn on the computer (before I start the engine). Could that still be the fuel pump? If so, why would the fuel pump hum if the engine isn’t running? I thought it might be the alternator.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Azbronco View Post
    Mine is making this sound, and I only seem to hear it when it’s hot. Sometimes, though, I get the hum when I turn on the computer (before I start the engine). Could that still be the fuel pump? If so, why would the fuel pump hum if the engine isn’t running? I thought it might be the alternator.
    The fuel pump will start with the ignition, not the engine. Modern fuel injection systems need to be fully up to pressure before you try to start the engine, or it's not gonna work!

So yeah, the noise you hear when you first turn the ignition on is very likely to be the fuel pump, and not the alternator. Even if the Ryker's had one, & I'm not sure they do, instead relying on a magneto system like many other motorcycles (cheap, easy, lightweight) an alternator won't do ANYTHING until the engine is running & making it spin....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!