Spyder Garage

Default Buying soon: What do I need to know?

Hi, all! First post!

I'm buying a SM5 within the next two weeks. I won't be financing and the only accesories I know I want right away are the BRP touring windshield and the Corbin heated seats. Other things will be added as needed and as I can afford them.

From reading the forums, I think I've learned:

1. I don't have to buy the BEST warranty from my dealer, but it has to be purchased within 3 months to avoid the surcharge.
    2. I don't have to buy BRP parts from my delear. Some good deals can be had by shopping around.

Is there anything I should know or watch out for?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Columbus, Ohio
    Last edited by ArmyJoe; 07-02-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

welcome

You're going to love it. It's addicting!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe View Post
    ...Is there anything I should know or watch out for?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Columbus, Ohio
    welcome and yepper... watch out for stupid cage drivers on cell phones.

Negotiate your extended warranty while you're cutting your deal. I spec'd out the three-year BEST at dealer's cost... easiest way to do it.

Also, negotiate any ongoing parts or services from the dealer up front... list minus 10-15%, as a hint.

Last edited by ataDude; 07-02-2009 at 04:05 PM.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

welcome
    I've got an SM5 and haven't had any major problems. All you need to know can be found in here. Just have fun riding it!

Spyder Garage

welcome I would shop around on prices so as to have a ball-park figure and than see what kind of deal the dealer can give you all in .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Keep a stiff front end

Getting used to the handling is the biggest challenge of Spyder ownership, not so big a deal for those with ATV or sidecar experience. No matter what size you are, adjust front shocks to maximum preload; this will decrease the amount of "tippiness" you will feel in turns. The ride quality is determined more by rear shock adjustment, which does not affect handling nearly as much. First few hours of ryding feel like you're going to overturn in corners -- hang your body off in the direction of the turn while leaning forward, one lister suggested you pretend to kiss the end of the handlebar. Tire pressure should be kept a little higher than recommended, 20 front, 30 back. Bike feels more secure on loose surfaces such as gravel and wet grass right off the bat, also feels to be all over the place in straight sections, especially in a crosswind, but this is mostly an optical illusion caused by your body's movement in relation to view of road. Once you get the hang of it you will easily keep up or pass all but sport bikes ridden by good riders on back roads. Superslab touring no problem, would suggest a good-sized windscreen to protect you from wind noise and buffeting. Passengers feel much more secure than on two wheels, especially if they have something to lean against. Make sure they hold onto grab rails, not you, as centrifugal forces act on you laterally much more than when leaning a two-wheeler into a turn. Hole shots are great fun, but rear tires are pricey.