Thread: side cover

Spyder Garage

Default side cover

I've lost the side cover ( the only damn thing not held on with bolts) off my 2016 Spyder RT Limited. The second one. blown away to only god knows where. I put a zip tie in one of the mounting bolts after losing the first one. Didn't help. At 300 dollars a pop I can't afford much more of this. Any body know where they can be bought cheaper?

Spyder Garage

You could always replace the top placcy hook/clip with a D-ZUS clip & never lose one again!

I've posted pics of the D-Zus on my side covers before, if you want to search; but you can see them here too:

https://www.southco.com/en-us/produc....html?hid=7345

I used the Quarter Turn clips, with a D loop on top. They not only look good, but they also look very much like the OE Clips used on the side covers on the earlier GS-RS-RSS Models. And with a positive locking action, your side cover will never come off again, except for when it's taken off!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

20190602_145403.jpg20190602_145316.jpg

This works. Get a M6 screw and a M6 Fender Nut and attach them like in the pictures. I'm sending this from my phone while out of town so I hope you can make sense of it.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I cut the little placcy hook bit off & fitted the D-Zus fasteners that Pat Clark mentioned. Problem solvered!

The panel might look a little misaligned in the pic, but that is only the angle the pic was taken at, it's perfectly straight when you look at it in person!
    Nice! I may do this. Didn't know the covers were so expensive.

Darn picture didn't follow the quote- Sorry.
    Last edited by h0gr1der; 06-07-2019 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Pic didn't come through
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since.......you seem to be the only one having this problem (or one of very few)......maybe you need to figure out what is different with your machine and correct that ??

Even when my grommets are lub'ed with silicone, I have to pull REAL hard to get them off.

Spyder Garage

When and where was the Spyder the last time the panel was removed and reinstalled? I always check mine when it has been to the dealer. Look at the other side panel and make sure the plastic clip on the upper inside of the panel is attached to the one immediately in front of it. If that clip is not properly attached the panel can come loose and fly off. Make checking both panels part of your pre-ride Spyder check.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nightcruiser View Post
    I've lost the side cover ( the only damn thing not held on with bolts) off my 2016 Spyder RT Limited. The second one. blown away to only god knows where. I put a zip tie in one of the mounting bolts after losing the first one. Didn't help. At 300 dollars a pop I can't afford much more of this. Any body know where they can be bought cheaper?
    Try some bike salvage yards or do some poking on the old computer!! Then try some of the neat things some of the boys have done to solve the problem!! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A side benefit of Baker Air Wings is they help keep the panels secured to the bike, plus they help to control the air flow around you.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)