Spyder Garage

Default Weight of Wheel Weights?

On my 2018 RT Limited what does each small block of weights weight? I have 6 small blocks on one and 7 on the other. I’m trying to figure out how many oz. are on each wheel. Tire are factory balanced.

Jim

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimboRTS View Post
    On my 2018 RT Limited what does each small block of weights weight? I have 6 small blocks on one and 7 on the other. I’m trying to figure out how many oz. are on each wheel. Tire are factory balanced.

Jim
    The smallest I've seen are 1/4oz. then 1/2 oz. ….. They should be marked with what they weigh …….jmho …. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

Seems they come from 1/4 oz and on up. Will depend on the materials and the manufacturer as to the size and colors as well as the adhisive used. Not that familiar but sure a tire store could tell you if they look at them. How many will depend on who installed the tires and in what position they installed them....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I think that BRP uses the 1/4 oz. weights. That would make one of your tires 1 1/2 oz and the 1 3/4 oz. Not bad. One of my 2013 STL wheels came with 13 weights on one wheel.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

They are now made of a steel substance so they're not as dense as the older lead versions. I have some that are 5 grams each, which is .18 ounces (rounded). I've also seen 7 grams which is .25 ounces (rounded). To me smaller is better as you play hell trying to cut one of these steel weights trying to get that perfect balance. Look on the weight closely, you'll see either a 5, or 7 metric marking or an ounces marking on each weight. My Kendas had 8 weights on each wheel, and I ended up with about 4 on the Vredesteins when I replaced the Kendas.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default Wheel Weights

Attached is a picture of the wheel weights. These are the stock wheel weights that came on my 2018 RT Limited. Does this help determine the Weight?
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I can't tell, looks like those are unmarked. Mine had 8 weights on each wheel. Weight doesn't matter as long as the wheel runs smooth and without wobble.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals

Spyder Garage

Just a guess without the markings, but those look like the quarter ounce steel weights that we use a lot of.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

The reason I was wondering what each block of weights weighted is because I’m looking at getting Centramatic Wheel Balancers and site says if weights are 3 oz or less remove weights. If over 3 oz leave weights on.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

I may be way off on this, but it's my take and I'll stick to it until someone proves me wrong.

From what I read, the Centramatic can only handle XX amount of imbalance due to the small diameter and also payload of shot weight contained. So if your imbalance is larger than XX, they don't work as well. Well, balance is balance. As long as you're not confusing out of round or physical wobble (side to side deformity) with imbalance.

So what I did is first static balance to as perfect as I can get it with weights, then apply the Centramatics front and rear. I say that I didn't see as much improvements as others, probably because I did one of those static balance jobs where you spend way to much time doing and it was pretty close to perfect anyway, and I had the Vredesteins, which are pretty well balanced and rounded.

It worked well for me, so I'm going to continue to static balance with the Centramatics removed (at each new tire change) and reinstall them to maintain dynamic balance over the life of the tire. That does mean removing the disc brake rotor and speed sensor ring each tire change though, you can't static balance with all that shot running around. I've had very good results with this so far.
    h0gr1der

Spyder Garage

I put on bar on a scale and it weighted 1/4 oz
    Jim