Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default New to Spyder ..2011 RT

Hello, I am new to this forum and just purchased a 2011 RT with 352 miles on it.
    This unit is clean and honestly does look show room condition.

How would you recommend I make sure all the recalls and updates were performed on the vehicle? I assume a local dealer in Arizona can check that for me. What else should I be aware of?? Any thoughts would be appreciated.....

Spyder Garage

Default I just pulled the trigger on a Brand new 2011 spyder RT

I am new to this forum and brand new to Spyder. I just purchased a 2011 Spyder RT with 352 miles on it. Yes, it does look factory new and it has a clean title. My question is, how can I make sure all the factory recalls and computer updates were performed on this unit? I assume a good dealer in Arizona should be able to handle this. What else should I consider thinking about or
    Doing with this machine before I put her through the paces?

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, welcome 👍

Welcome to the spyder world and this awesome site. You can have the dealer check with your vin# for all recalls, bulletins, updates. Do to the time I would go through and change all the fluids and filters. Not knowing much on its use and storage check tires for dry rot pressure etc. Check belt for tension and alignment. If not yourself dealer should be able to do a full check for you....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you! I am excited but a bit nervous as I want to really use this for a year and then upgrade to a 2017 or 2018 but I wanted to give this a try first.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michael3million View Post
    Thank you! I am excited but a bit nervous as I want to really use this for a year and then upgrade to a 2017 or 2018 but I wanted to give this a try first.
    Congratulations on your new ride. I wouldn't be too hasty at going for a 2017 or later bike, there is a few disadvantages to the 1330cc bikes relative to the 998 V-twin. However, the brakes on your 998cc could be better, as in not as good at stopping you as they could be, take care until you get used to them.

With regard to what to check, look carefully and closely at the tyres, push at the tread with a screwdriver, they are prone to deterioration in the form of multiple small surface cracking of the tread rubber. If you find this is the case change them out for safety. Obviously an engine oil and filter change and also a transmission filter would be a good idea. There's all sorts of stuff you could do but I'd bet all else is ok and it just needs riding.

Edit: It may well be worth greasing the front inner suspension bushes, after so long the grease is likely to be dried out, greasing is easy, replacing the bushes is a pest.
    Last edited by Spyderlass; 06-07-2019 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Extra info..

Spyder Garage

Could you elaborate on the advantages and disadvantages of the 1330 relative to the 998?

Many Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Thank you!

Spyder Garage

and
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I will post a pic....it is being delivered tonight......

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

on the new ride! I hope you enjoy it. If you don't know when the last time the oil and filters were changed do that and look at the tires make sure they are good, if they are the originals then you will need to change them soon. As for the mileage if that is correct (a lot of time the cluster have to be changed and the mileage starts at 0 again) will mean you are still in the break in period so go easy for a while. Read your manual. But I think the Cluster has probably been changed. your local dealer can check that for you. Good luck with you new ride. Live to Ride, Ride to Live.
    2012 RTL , Brown