Spyder Garage

Default Engine on 2012 RT dies

About 6 weeks ago, after a fill up, I continued about 4.5 miles and the engine died and continued to die for about 10 minutes. It finally started again and I made it home. I had a new fuel filter out on. I hadn't ridden it since that was replaced until yesterday. Had only ridden about 50 miles and it died and continued to die. The rpm only made to 700 and then die. There were no error codes. The service dept can't seem to find the problem. Has anyone had this problem? A fuel pump perhaps?
    I was supposed to leave on a trip Friday, but that won't happen in the spyder.
    Thanks in advance.
    araknd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like bad gas. Drain and replace with good fuel. Maybe the gas station had a lot of water in their tank, especially with all the flooding around the country. Maybe diesel was put in by mistake? Can be easy to do now that they put diesel nozzles on the same pump as gasoline. But sounds like a bad fuel problem to me and the mechanic could easily overlook that as a possibility.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer.....

You say it was fine before the new filter was installed or did you install one after it started dying? Does sound like a fuel issue but pumps usually work or don't. Some fuel filters are directional but could be electrical if instant shut off. Coils, rectifier, wires or plugs...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey araknd. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I understand the time line correctly - everything was fine up until 6 weeks ago. The triggering event was stopping for gas. Then within just minutes, the problem starts. You make it home. After that then, you change the fuel filter, in response to that problem. Then just the other day you take it out for the first time since, it runs OK for about an hour, and everything goes to crap again. Almost as if the new fuel filter was able to deal with things for a little while. And now its back at the shop.

So yeah, I'd be thinking water or other contaminates in the gas, or a mis-fueling, also. So, if it was in my garage, we'd start over with a clean system. Syphon / pump out all the fuel in the tank, put on another fuel filter - they are directional by the way - put back in some good gas from a different source. With that engine, it never hurts to check out the vacuum hoses or purge valve as long as the panels are off. But in that case, the motor usually runs fine at high RPMs. You're describing problems at all RPMs - which is pointing us to bad gas. I sure would eliminate that before going any deeper.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of your ideas! I've run the gas out that was in when the issue started and a new fuel filter put in...then it happened again. Have you all heard of vacuum hoses rotting and thereby causing it to die?
    I appreciate your info!
    araknd

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, that's good additional information , and yes, anybody with the V-Twin needs to replace the vacuum hoses. They're on the left side of the throttle body and go between the MAP sensor and the intake on the engine. Search the forum and you'll find specs and pictures. I don't have one handy right now. Purge valves also go bad - stick open and cause the engine to die - and if you have an SE5, the vacuum line plug on the right hand side of the intake sometimes goes AWOL. With all of those issues, there is usually a code and they usually only cause rough operation at idle. Key word is usually - not always. So, anything is possible. As long as it's in the shop, check it all out.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by araknd View Post
    Thanks for all of your ideas! I've run the gas out that was in when the issue started and a new fuel filter put in...
    Fuel filters won't catch everything.
    You may still have some contamination in the fuel system.
    A healthy dose of a good multi-purpose fuel system cleaner in the gas would be a good idea......before you have to make a dealer visit for a diagnosis.

I assume that there are no warning lights ON ??

A failed tank vent, usually in the gas cap, can cause similar symptoms.
    And fuel pumps often become intermittent before the fail completely.

Spyder Garage

+1 for the vacuum lines
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Update on my 2012 RT....it was the vacuum line(s) from the throttle body. Thanks again for all of your input!
    araknd