Spyder Garage

Default How hard is it to pull in clutch?

Looking at a 2017 Daytona with manual transmission and I was wondering how hard it is to pull in the clutch. Thinking about buying it for my wife and have not located any with a manual near by for her to check out.

Spyder Garage

The clutch is pretty heavy, but there is a vacuum assist that can be mounted for a couple of hundred bucks. There is an old thread that lists the parts needed and the repair order number for the dealer to look up. With the assist the clutch is very light while the engine is running.

Spyder Garage

If you're not sure about your wife being up to pulling the clutch in, why not try the 'electronic shifting & clutch operating' SE6 version?? It's EXACTLY the same manual gearbox, only its got a hydraulic clutch & that plus shifting is all activated by the 'flappy paddles' under your left thumb & forefinger electronically triggering solenoids - oh, and there's a 'failsafe' downshift for those times you might slow down too much for whichever (higher) gear you're in at the time! No worries with heavy pull manual clutches if you go that way!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default They are hard to find....

Early models came with the assist but the later models it became a add on. The Idea is in slow traffic with lots of clutch work it makes is very soft but at speed it is normal and a bit heavier. Works much like the DPS but is nice. If you can test any /GS/RS through 2012 (for sure) you or both can see the difference. How heavy will be up to you or she to decide as for me with or without it is a light clutch...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Do NOT buy one without her trying it out. Everybody is different and what is easy for one person could be unbearable for your wife. I'd go with the SE5 or SE6. I had a 2008 GS with the SM5 and now a 2012 SE5, the SE5 is much nicer to ride in my opinion.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

I can't speak to the clutch on the Spyder, since my ST-S has the SE5, but I can say that I've been riding my Virago 750 quite a bit lately (practicing for my MSF RiderCoach training) and I definitely prefer the ease of the thumb shifter
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic