Spyder Garage

Default How to Remove Front Pulley

Does anyone know easiest way to remove the front pulley?
    How much belt slack is needed?
    How to get enough slack? These things are good to know before you start the process of cleaning the splines and lubeing with moly paste. Thanks in advance

Spyder Garage

Remove the lower shock bolt and lower the rear swing arm. You will have sufficient slack to remove the belt.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Lift the bike using a jack on the lower rear shock mount (big wodge of cloth to protect it) pull the belt outwards and rotate the rear wheel, keep pulling and rotating, the belt will walk off the pulley. Replace it by reversing the process so it walks on.

Edit: Oops, shoulda said, the rear pulley.
    Last edited by Spyderlass; 06-05-2019 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Omission

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by toolie View Post
    Does anyone know easiest way to remove the front pulley?
    How much belt slack is needed?
    How to get enough slack? These things are good to know before you start the process of cleaning the splines and lubeing with moly paste. Thanks in advance
    Mr. toolie,

As has been said many times on this forum, it helps to know what you are working on. It matters because there are significant differences between models and years. Here's my take on it for a 2018 RTL with air rear suspension. I thank Mr Finless for this info, worked perfectly! https://youtu.be/MWtbQPdKd8w

So, on the RTL model with air suspension. Do disconnect the arm (first) to the height sensor about midway down the belt. Do jack the bike up on the rear of the center frame until the tire starts to get light. Do remove the lower shock bolt using the jack to create looseness in the bolt. Continue jacking until the belt goes slack. It will fall of the rear pulley at this point. I'm not sure what you'll have to remove to access the front pulley, on my RTL I had to pull the whole left side and mirror to just check the torque on that particular bolt. There are a bunch of good videos on Tupperware removal.

If you have an F3 or other model, your procedure will be different.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

In one of his earlier posts hogrider, he says :2017 F3L - there, we're all happy now I hope.

Bad luck about 'the never ending rear wheel bearing fiasco'

I hope this job goes better for you.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.