Spyder Garage

Default Anyone use Markel American Insurance Company for Spyder Insurance?

Does anyone have Markel American Insurance Company for their insurance carrier on their Spyder, and if so, what is your opinion on them about their service or claims? New policy is due 22nd of June and checking around. Have Progressive on my 2014 RT Limited, but they raised the policy by $105 since last year. I am currently paying about $520 on current policy. I am insuring 100/300 on bodily injury liability, 50,000 property damage, 100/300 Uninsured motorist, 5,000 medical, Comp & Collision both 500 deductible.

Markel is offering to insure it for the same coverage, and adding coverage on my 622 trailer also, for $450.

Just wanted to know their reputation before I change.

So far some of the quotes that I have gotten are:
    State Farm - $630
    Foremost - $578
    National General - $920
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

I have Markel Insurance for 2 years now on my 2017 F3 Limited. But I can't tell you how their claims are or how fast they are as I haven't had a claim. I also had Markel Insurance in the past on other motorcycles and their rates were always better than anybody else. Of course they specialize on giving motorcycle coverage. My cost for insurance is somewhat cheaper than yours at $263.00 a year.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Do you have the same coverage as I do? Big thing is probably that Michigan is a No Fault state and one of the highest in U.S.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

Just went through this in the SE USA. Markel Bikeline wanted $590 (U.S.) annually, Dairyland won out at $352 (U.S.) annually with twice the coverage limits. Not sure about how good either one is, haven't used them. Good hunting!
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Markel has been a Big Payer in this market, and they are a pretty decent Company...

But every State is different, and every risk within that State is equally different...

It's a tough thing to compare.

(41 years in this industry...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

As Bob said, it's almost impossible to compare two people's different insurance costs nationwide. There are just too many variables involved. Location, accident and claim statistics for individual areas (even from one side of a city to the other...insurance rates here in Las Vegas will change depending on which side of the city you live in), and even the individual's credit score and driving history all play a role in the quote for insurance coverage.

The best anyone can hope to do to get the "lowest price" is to do their own individual shopping around and compare quotes provided for THEMSELF from various companies. Don't forget you may get a huge discount if you already have OTHER insurance from the same company (house, renter's, another vehicle, etc). Also don't forget to compare "additional coverage" and whether it's included or not. Like how much (if any) "addon" costs to your motorcycle ("farkles") will your policy cover if they are destroyed in an accident? Will they pay for your $1000 custom seat? Your $600 helmet? Extra lights you added for safety (or just "bling")? Your $1000+ riding suit (or hundreds of dollars of other separate safety gear)? You can't just compare the up-front policy cost without comparing what each policy cost will actually cover for YOU as an individual.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I'm not familiar with that company. as for myself, I have had Wadena Ins. Co. for several years and my annual premium is $372.00 for full coverage on a 2018 RTL. that's 300,000/500,000 liability, same on uninsured/underinsured motorists, 500 deductible, etc.
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you purchase insurance based upon price alone: you'll get exactly what you paid for...
    Shop for the Company that gives you the best service. you'll forget about the price: long before you forget about
    a screwed-up claim!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have been with Foremost/AARP for years and my bill this year was 650 for my 2014 RT LTD. I called State Farm and they quoted me 418 so I switched. I have everything else with State Farm.
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO