Thread: Helmet shapes?

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet shapes?

My wife has been wearing a 3/4 helmet but as of late its been giving her a pressure point (as her old helmets did). She has added padding, removed part of the liner, etc. She read somewhere recently (which is why I am reaching out to you because I cant find it), that there were helmets for oval head shapes? Quite possibly this might be a good fit for her and I would like to find out as much info as I can and research where to get them and then surprise her with a trip to buy her one.

Thank you
    John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That's a problem I have also. There are long, oval, and round heads. I can't buy a helmet online. I must go to a store and try them on. In one brand I had a large and in another I had a 3XL. When trying on a helmet, if you feel the slightest pressure, try another.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Excellent points and thanks for the helmet guide link Pete. Our melons, I mean heads, come in a variety of sizes and shapes. IMO helmets need to be tried on for fit and comfort. I have three different modular helmets - three manufactures - three different sizes and three completely different feelings wearing each of them. I also find that I have the different helmets based upon what type of riding I am doing that day. If it doesn't fit well, ventilate well ... it will be a very short day.
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

• 2018 CamAm Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White / Chrome
    • 2008 H/D VROD 105th Anniversary Edition (665 of 1200) - Retired
    • 1987 Honda CRB600F - "Hurricane" - Retired

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have problems with the new helmets being tight on the forehead. I put some padding and use a set of ratchet clamps to put some pressure on the front to back for a couple of days. They fit fine after that.

These clamps slip off and reverse so they can be used to clamp stuff or spread stuff. Rounded pieces front and back and a little pressure is about the same as wearing it for a month until it gets broke in. Once it gets loose enough that is is not putting pressure on my forehead they are fine. The open face helmets are the only ones that seem to be a problem. Bell 500, which I like is always tight when I get a new one. The full face helmets fit well without right off the shelf.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Helmet shapes make a huge difference. I just went through this with my wife, when we bought her first helmet 2 years ago she has always complained that it hurt and gave her hot spots. I bought smaller pads and that did not do much difference thought maybe give it some time and it will break in, that did not happen either. Read an article on revzilla.com and determined her head shape. We bought her new helmet last Friday and road about 7 hrs on Saturday with no complaints and she actually finally enjoyed riding.

PS: She wore it in the store for about a half hour, then when we got home she watch TV for like 2 hours to ensure it was a good fit before we rode.
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

Adding padding to pressure points just adds more pressure as you are simply reducing the already insufficient space between your head and the helmet.

There are 3 basic head shapes. Helmets run the gambit, depending on manufacturer, model, size, etc. A helmet may be a round oval in one model, and long oval in another model from the same manufacturer. 3/4 helmets tend to all be the same basic head shape. Full face helmets are easier to find in different head shapes. Arai does more with head shapes than any other helmet manufacturer.

If you can feel tight spots or get discomfort right away, that helmet is never going to fit you. But here is a good trick for a helmet that ALMOST fits, but has 1 or 2 small tight spots or pressure points that give you discomfort after wearing the helmet for awhile. Usually in the forehead area. Identify exactly where you're getting too much pressure. Remove the liner if possible. Most decent helmets today have a removable liner. Take a medium to large spoon and slightly crush the Styrofoam shell where the pressure point is. Re-install the liner and test fit the helmet. Be careful not to crush any more than necessary.

Some will say that you are crushing the material designed to protect your head from deceleration. And that is true. But it will be a very small amount and very unlikely to make any difference at all in an accident. A well fitting helmet will protect your head much better than a poorly fitting helmet.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-06-2019 at 08:11 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

My wife had to get a full face Arai Quantum X
    To be continued....

Spyder Garage

UtahPete is right on the money.
    Use Revzilla to find those helmets that are oval, then search online for the best price!

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Revrent View Post
    My wife has been wearing a 3/4 helmet but as of late its been giving her a pressure point (as her old helmets did). She has added padding, removed part of the liner, etc. She read somewhere recently (which is why I am reaching out to you because I cant find it), that there were helmets for oval head shapes? Quite possibly this might be a good fit for her and I would like to find out as much info as I can and research where to get them and then surprise her with a trip to buy her one.

Thank you
    John

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

If you have a Cycle Gear store somewhere around where you live, go for a ride to their store. They have different brands of helmets an their employees know how to get you the right helmet that fits. Iv been to 2 of their stores an they seemed to know what they were talking about. Bought our Sena communications from them an our helmets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    I have problems with the new helmets being tight on the forehead. I put some padding and use a set of ratchet clamps to put some pressure on the front to back for a couple of days. They fit fine after that.

These clamps slip off and reverse so they can be used to clamp stuff or spread stuff. Rounded pieces front and back and a little pressure is about the same as wearing it for a month until it gets broke in. Once it gets loose enough that is is not putting pressure on my forehead they are fine. The open face helmets are the only ones that seem to be a problem. Bell 500, which I like is always tight when I get a new one. The full face helmets fit well without right off the shelf.
    Most helmets use some type of "Styrofoam" (for lack of a more technical term) on the interior of their helmets. Some manufacturers use more than one type and at differing densities to achieve better crash ratings, internal air flow or fit. Using a mechanical clamp or a spoon to crush or reshape the foam is not a good way to "make" a helmet fit better. Try a different size, style or brand to get a good fitting helmet. When I was flying in the Army, we went through a special "fitting" and had our flight helmets custom made. We wore a stocking cap and a thin liner while the mold was fitted over our head and the liquid foam was poured into the mold. This gave each of us a near perfect fitting helmet. Too bad it would be cost prohibitive for most of us to get a custom fitted helmet like that. But hey ... it's your head.
    Ride Safe.
    Shoot Straight.
    Speak the Truth.

David & Deb Parsons
    "Sarge"
    2015 Circuit Yellow Spyder RT Limited
    2010 Velocity Yellow Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager
    AMSOIL
    AMA Member
    AVA Member
    VROC Member
    KawaNOW Member
    Patriot Guard Rider
    US Army M.I., Retired
    NRA Instructor & N.C. CCW Instructor
    Never mind Area51. Worry about the other 50, or more!
    2015 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Most helmets use some type of "Styrofoam" (for lack of a more technical term) on the interior of their helmets. Some manufacturers use more than one type and at differing densities to achieve better crash ratings, internal air flow or fit. Using a mechanical clamp or a spoon to crush or reshape the foam is not a good way to "make" a helmet fit better. Try a different size, style or brand to get a good fitting helmet. When I was flying in the Army, we went through a special "fitting" and had our flight helmets custom made. We wore a stocking cap and a thin liner while the mold was fitted over our head and the liquid foam was poured into the mold. This gave each of us a near perfect fitting helmet. Too bad it would be cost prohibitive for most of us to get a custom fitted helmet like that. But hey ... it's your head.
    I also flew, but for the Air Force and it was long time ago. We got whatever flack helmets supply had on the shelf. I been wearing motorcycle helmets that didn't fit real well for about 55 years and had some serious crashes. My state does not even require a helmet to ride, but I always wear one anyway. I don't really think a little crushed foam is going to make a lot of difference in a serious crash. That is my opinion, but I probably should not have posted it on a public forum. Yes, I am aware that there is not supposed to be any modifications of any kind to a helmet. I was in the wrong post anything about modifying a helmet. I am personally not that worried about it. If I was afraid a little crushed foam was going to kill me, I wouldn't be riding, but I should not have said anything about it on the forum.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Here is a fairly comprehensive listing and review of a bunch of helmets: https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets

I have used this website when looking buy several helmets.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

+1 on UtahPete's recommendation to the Revzilla descriptive info and ned64's recommendation on CycleGear.
    +1 on Bajaron's suggestion on a bit of the old spoon treatment.
    I can't see how a millimeter or 2 of compaction will gravely reduce the overall protection, but it can greatly improve the on-head feel...I can vouch because I've done this to my helmet, and once my wife and I accidentally grabbed each other's (identical) helmets...I knew within 20 minutes that something was wrong!! I've since added some different stickers and reflectors to each for easier identification in the future.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have struggled for years to find the right helmet for my oval shaped head, always seemed to be between sizes. I finally found Shoei to be the best fitting for me, ended up with a Neotec 2, not the cheapest around but very comfortable.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    +1 on UtahPete's recommendation to the Revzilla descriptive info and ned64's recommendation on CycleGear.
    +1 on Bajaron's suggestion on a bit of the old spoon treatment.
    I can't see how a millimeter or 2 of compaction will gravely reduce the overall protection, but it can greatly improve the on-head feel...I can vouch because I've done this to my helmet, and once my wife and I accidentally grabbed each other's (identical) helmets...I knew within 20 minutes that something was wrong!! I've since added some different stickers and reflectors to each for easier identification in the future.
    Truth be known. Most 'Custom Fit' helmets do not change the very expensive shell. Instead, they take an off the shelf helmet shell that goes with your general head shape and tailor the Styrofoam insert to fit your head. That's exactly what you are doing with the spoon. I am not advocating wholesale foam crushing. If you have to do more than a little of this, you have the wrong helmet for your head shape to begin with.

A properly fit helmet 'disappears' and you don't even realize you are wearing it after awhile. Well, that might be an exaggeration. But those of you who have a properly fitted helmet know what I mean. It took me a number of helmets over the years to find ones that fit me correctly. Up until then my helmets were just a necessary evil.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-06-2019 at 02:55 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have to trim some of the foam around my ears otherwise I'm in pain within an hour. Currently wearing a 3X HJC.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I have to trim some of the foam around my ears otherwise I'm in pain within an hour. Currently wearing a 3X HJC.
    Ssssoooooo I've got a fair bit of hair around and in my ears but no foam. Was the foam around your ears a factory feature, or is it a farkle?

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags