Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Grand Forks, ND
    Posts
    215
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Belt Tension 2018 RT

    What is the correct belt tension or range for a 2018 RT Limited.

    Jim

  2. #2
    Active Member h0gr1der's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    416
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    My RT service manual has 2 different ranges in it. In the "Drive" section it lists 1050N 150N In the "Technical Specifications-Vehicle" section it has a lower specification of 775N 150N. Both of these measurements are with the rear wheel off the ground and rear suspension fully extended. Converting to lbs of force, a max high of 1200N equals 269.7 Lbs of force (way too much). On the lower scale, 625N equals 140.5 Lbs of force. I lowered the belt tension to the absolute minimum and installed a Roadster Renovations vibration damper to get rid or all my belt vibrations. Try lowering your belt tension if you have vibration from the belt, it may cure the problem without a dampener.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Roadster Renovations Vibration Damper*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

  3. #3
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    greensburg,pa
    Posts
    220
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Cured my vibration - @240 from factory now im 140/160 ish with no issues.
    2018 RT-L Dark

    Lamonster LED upgrade Headlamp/fogs
    BRP Comfort heated seat

  4. #4
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Grand Forks, ND
    Posts
    215
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Blue woo
    Are your settings with rear wheel off then ground?
    Jim

  5. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    greensburg,pa
    Posts
    220
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Yes and it was around 120 / 130 off the ground after my adjustment, once on the ground it will go up in tension. Takes time to get the belt aligned properly - do a search - a lot of reading.
    2018 RT-L Dark

    Lamonster LED upgrade Headlamp/fogs
    BRP Comfort heated seat

  6. #6
    Active Member MeudtPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Monroe, WI
    Posts
    80
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    My RT service manual has 2 different ranges in it. In the "Drive" section it lists 1050N 150N In the "Technical Specifications-Vehicle" section it has a lower specification of 775N 150N. Both of these measurements are with the rear wheel off the ground and rear suspension fully extended. Converting to lbs of force, a max high of 1200N equals 269.7 Lbs of force (way too much). On the lower scale, 625N equals 140.5 Lbs of force. I lowered the belt tension to the absolute minimum and installed a Roadster Renovations vibration damper to get rid or all my belt vibrations. Try lowering your belt tension if you have vibration from the belt, it may cure the problem without a dampener.
    Thanks h0gr1der. So, what I understand is the factory specs on a 2018 RTL is 129.2 Lbs. of force +/- and anything in between still be in spec? This appears to be quite a substantial +/- range for precision specs on a $30,000.00 machine and I would expect BRP spec to be much less variation. Why so generous of variation? Seems we should be able to use this gauge, hit the spec lbs. of tension and be good to go without all the questions up or down for belt tension. More explanation is welcome.
    What on the ground Krikit II quick test would be for a spot check - say at hotel before continuing journey on the road (without) lifting wheel? Trying to master a reliable simple step method for belt maintenance with minimal vibration.
    It sounds like a lot of folks with 2018 RTL's have belt vibration at 60 to 70 mph and some eliminate it by running mostly minimal Lbs. of belt tension (some with dampener and some without it). If factual remedy exists than we all need to be on the same specs that indeed work eliminating this vibration.
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME

  7. #7
    Active Member h0gr1der's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    416
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post
    Thanks h0gr1der. So, what I understand is the factory specs on a 2018 RTL is 129.2 Lbs. of force +/- and anything in between still be in spec? This appears to be quite a substantial +/- range for precision specs on a $30,000.00 machine and I would expect BRP spec to be much less variation. Why so generous of variation? Seems we should be able to use this gauge, hit the spec lbs. of tension and be good to go without all the questions up or down for belt tension. More explanation is welcome.
    What on the ground Krikit II quick test would be for a spot check - say at hotel before continuing journey on the road (without) lifting wheel? Trying to master a reliable simple step method for belt maintenance with minimal vibration.
    It sounds like a lot of folks with 2018 RTL's have belt vibration at 60 to 70 mph and some eliminate it by running mostly minimal Lbs. of belt tension (some with dampener and some without it). If factual remedy exists than we all need to be on the same specs that indeed work eliminating this vibration.
    MeudtPG,
    Not sure where you came up with 129.2 Lbs of force, the lowest spec I referenced is 140.5 Lbs of force, with the wheel elevated. That's factory specs. In my trial and error attempts to reduce vibration I noticed that the wheel in the air (with full suspension travel, not jacked on the rear shock mount) gains between 20-30 Lbs as the wheel hits the ground and the suspension squats.

    If you read enough and talk to enough people, you'll come up with a lot of recommendations of between 140-160 lbs of belt tension on the ground. Many folks are going lower than the recommended 140.5 minimum in the air spec and having good results, some with and some without a vibration dampener. I had one point where I had absolutely no vibrations somewhere around 160 lbs, but I can't duplicate the setting at all. So I opted for the vibration dampener. Quick and easy fix, works very well (for me).
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Roadster Renovations Vibration Damper*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

  8. #8
    Active Member MeudtPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Monroe, WI
    Posts
    80
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    h0gr1der, I was subtracting the difference between 269.7 highest minus 140.5 lowest hence 129.7 variable to play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    MeudtPG,
    Not sure where you came up with 129.2 Lbs of force, the lowest spec I referenced is 140.5 Lbs of force, with the wheel elevated. That's factory specs. In my trial and error attempts to reduce vibration I noticed that the wheel in the air (with full suspension travel, not jacked on the rear shock mount) gains between 20-30 Lbs as the wheel hits the ground and the suspension squats.

    If you read enough and talk to enough people, you'll come up with a lot of recommendations of between 140-160 lbs of belt tension on the ground. Many folks are going lower than the recommended 140.5 minimum in the air spec and having good results, some with and some without a vibration dampener. I had one point where I had absolutely no vibrations somewhere around 160 lbs, but I can't duplicate the setting at all. So I opted for the vibration dampener. Quick and easy fix, works very well (for me).
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME

  9. #9
    Active Member h0gr1der's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    416
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MeudtPG View Post
    h0gr1der, I was subtracting the difference between 269.7 highest minus 140.5 lowest hence 129.7 variable to play with.
    Ok, I misunderstood the span. From what I've read, changing the belt tension is some cases does not get rid of the vibration, merely changes when it happens and in my case, softened the impulse of the vibration. The factory apparently has a TSB on vibration, mainly to set the tension to where the customer can live with it.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Roadster Renovations Vibration Damper*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

  10. #10
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Grand Forks, ND
    Posts
    215
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    I just received a 2018 RT Service and Repair Manual. Under Technical Specifications it states Belt Tension (with rear wheel wheel lifted) 174 plus or minus 33.7 lbf (fully extended suspension) min 140.03 max 207.7. My belt is at 220 left with 400 miles on 2018 RT Limited. So at 600 miles will recheck and most likely lower to about 174 and see if my whine goes away.
    Jim

  11. #11
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Grand Forks, ND
    Posts
    215
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    My belt is at 220 lifted not 220 left.
    Jim

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •