Spyder Garage

Default Flex fuel, 88 & Crosswinds

Last weekend I took a ride from Salt Lake City to tour through Arches National Park and CanyonLands in southern Utah. This required me to cross the High Plains of central Utah. During this ride I experienced significant crosswinds. I saw two wheeler riders who looked dangerously close to peril because of these crosswinds, and I did need to wrestle my Spyder to keep a straight line. My riding experience, just like my technical knowledge, is scant indeed; so, I wonder whether anyone has any guidance on how to cope with buffeting crosswinds specific to our configuration of the trike?

On the same trip I inadvertently added Flex-fuel to the Spyder because it was the only one on the gas pump options signaling a step up from the lowest grade (which at that pump was 87). Since reading the manual, prompted by messages on this form, I've been adding whatever fuel is one step up from the base (which is usually called 'Silver', 'Plus' or 'Extra' at my local pumps). However, on this occasion I just glanced at the numerals and added the fuel indicated as 88 ~ and only at the end did I see I was adding fuel with 15% ethanol additive. To my question ... Is ethanol at this concentration a problem or not for the 1330 cc engine?

Thanks to all who respond to questions and offer comments here. It's my primary education about my favorite ride.

Caven
    Caven Mcloughlin; caven@kent.edu

Spyder Garage

Default Relax.....

On the wind I have found that mostly it is you the driver that fights the wind and if you relax and just lean into it you are fine. I have never had to fight the spyder but Have been knocked about quite a bit and passenger as well.
    As to the fuel it is not a problem and I would recommend getting some sea foram at your local autoparts dealer. This is good every few tankfuls to counter the ethanol but the 87 will work fine.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Again, my technical naivety is on-display ... is the Sea Foam the same sort of fuel-stabilizer as 'Stabil' which I've been using for over-wintering these past few years?

Caven

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Caven View Post
    Again, my technical naivety is on-display ... is the Sea Foam the same sort of fuel-stabilizer as 'Stabil' which I've been using for over-wintering these past few years?

Caven
    I'm not sure the STABIL will cancel the added Ethyl ….. StarTron claims it does cancel the Ethyl. …. IMHO I would siphon most of the Gas in the tank, ( and use in your car one Gal at a time ) although I don't think 5% more Ethyl will actually hurt the Spyder …..BUT NEVER DO IT AGAIN !!!!!...……..Mike

Spyder Garage

Don't use E85 no matter what. Your local has called "silver, plus, or extra" will be a couple octane
    points higher than regular, and a couple cents lower per gallon. These are all alcohol added, to varying degrees.
    I don't like it because of the scrubbing effect on your fuel system. This is certainly worse on older vehicles.
    Scouring out the fuel tank, and fuel lines, drying out rubber items, etc. Your machine will still run okay, but mileage,
    which isn't great in the first place will suffer.
    Now about the wind issue. Hey I'm from Kansas, and have seen ferocious wind in lots of places I've ridden on two wheels.
    Heavy side wind is okay, but it's the break from it that can be dangerous, like when a semi makes a windbreak, or you duck
    under an overpass, and suddenly have no wind.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

I am surprised that you found E15 in Utah. We are usually 10% or Ethanol Free (because of all the ATV's and snowmobiles.). What road did you take to Arches, US 6?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Park City to Heber City, then Provo and onwards to Price. Only a short distance about Provo on the interstate.

Great ride with the sun highlighting the red rocks both going and coming.

Caven

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A BajaRon Anti Sway Bar will help in the wind and so will leaning your head into the wind.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Caven
    I've used Sea Foam to clear up an idling problem on my VStar at the recommendation of the mechanic, who wasn't able to investigate further in the time I had before leaving on a long trip. It worked very well. So, I think that it's more of a solvent for removing buildup in fuel delivery systems than anything else. I could be wrong.

The problem with ethanol is that it absorbs moisture, so if that tankful of 15% were to sit in your tank unused for a period of time, it could create a problem with water in the fuel, which is why Sta-Bil would be the solution.

If that tankful of gas got used up without any engine performance issues at the time, I doubt you have anything to worry about.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    As to the fuel it is not a problem and I would recommend getting some sea foram at your local autoparts dealer. This is good every few tankfuls to counter the ethanol but the 87 will work fine.
    First, if the winds are strong enough to make you uncomfortable......your brain is trying to tell you that you ARE IN DANGER and you should STOP riding until it dies down.
    I never ride when sustained winds are 30 MPH or more or there are reported gusts above 40.

Then....here we go again with Seafoam.
    Do you really NOT know that one of the main ingredients in Seafoam is......ALCOHOL ???

As for the "flex fuel" quesion: The OP REALLY needs to pay closer attention to the gas pump labeling.
    When most people talk about "flex fuel", they mean E85, which can be a serious problem.
    E15 however should not be, especially when it is mixed with some fuel already IN the tank.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Park City to Heber City, then Provo and onwards to Price. Only a short distance about Provo on the interstate.

Great ride with the sun highlighting the red rocks both going and coming.

Caven
    Next time you're in the area, let's get together. I can show you a couple of ways to go that route which avoids the freeway altogether.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

E15 won't hurt your bike...

But don't make the same mistake with E85!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Friends, fellow arachnids: Thanks, as always, for the freely provided insights.

Most of the time the posters & respondents in this forum seem like grizzled, mechanical experts (I sometimes feel like I'm the only one of you that didn't do a lifetime of work at General Motors). So, thanks for helping out this no-nothing 'mechanic.'

My truth is I once had to ask whether the spyder has a water-cooled engine or not. I still don't know where to find the oil-gauge. There, I've said it.

Are there ever any rallies where REALLY SIMPLE STUFF IS EXPLAINED in no-nothing-type language?

Best to all, Caven

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just keep asking; and we'll keep answering.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The OP had an interesting observation on wind buffeting. I say that, because my experience is different. I find the stability of my RTL phenomenal in a crosswind. I think I might be a bit biased though as high-winds is an everyday event New Mexico. I remember appreciating the weight of my Goldwing as a bulwark crosswinds. My Roadstar though, not so good in a crosswind.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
    The OP had an interesting observation on wind buffeting. I say that, because my experience is different.

I find the stability of my RTL phenomenal in a crosswind. I think I might be a bit biased though as high-winds is an everyday event New Mexico.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

F I still don't know where to find the oil-gauge. There, I've said it.
    That's not too surprising.......since there isn't one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    That's not too surprising.......since there isn't one.
    Isn't it up there with the engine brake switch?
    2014 RTL Platinum