Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Angry DESS replacement

Well I've had the DESS failure a few times and it's always re started after key removal-------- BUT ------ I do have the new and improved DESS module #710004916 to be installed this winter. I would have gladly paid to have it disabled rather than remove the frunk for the R/R.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Well I've had the DESS failure a few times and it's always re started after key removal-------- BUT ------ I do have the new and improved DESS module #710004916 to be installed this winter. I would have gladly paid to have it disabled rather than remove the frunk for the R/R.

Lew L
    I've said this before but when something is so simple folks don't believe it.

You don't need to remove the frunk to replace the DESS unit, the cable connectors are accessible just above the battery. Simply disconnect the faulty unit but leave it in place. Reconnect your new unit and mount it on top of the battery frame. A cable tie will do it.

If you have difficulty finding the cable connector, use a wee mirror to have a look-see.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRosePetal View Post
    I've said this before but when something is so simple folks don't believe it.

You don't need to remove the frunk to replace the DESS unit, the cable connectors are accessible just above the battery. Simply disconnect the faulty unit but leave it in place. Reconnect your new unit and mount it on top of the battery frame. A cable tie will do it.

If you have difficulty finding the cable connector, use a wee mirror to have a look-see.
    This cannot be done without removing the " FRUNK " - period ……. I'll pay $5,000 to see a video of the DESS being removed without taking the FRUNK off...…….. If it was possible to do it YOUR way, then why doesn't BRP / Dealer Techs do it YOUR way ?????? ….. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 10-02-2019 at 10:54 PM. Reason: I removed something that was deemed objectionable

Spyder Garage

Ya know ----- I'm all for doing it the easy, simplest way. If rosie's way works I'll check it out before pulling the frunk. Mike--- if I (we) can just plug in the new module and remount there nothing wrong with leaving the old DESS unused and in stock location. I think your talking about removing the DESS module ----- Rosie is not.

Lew L

So PinkRosePetal, where are the two connections for the dess module??????? Are they accessed from under the bike, or behind the battery, or under the headlights????

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

on my 2015 rs it would have been possible to un plug the dess and plug a new one in and mount it elsewhere but i changed the antenna too and that wouldn't be possible, i'm anal about putting things back in the oem mount too so i would have anyway, on my rs removing the frunk is so easy i don't see what the fuss is about anyway unless the other models are a lot harder to remove.,
    2015 rs

Spyder Garage

Per Lew's post you two are talking about how the word "replace" is being used. One, Mike's method, involves removing plastic and replacing the unit, PinkRosePetal leaves the unit in place but disconnected and replaces it with a new one in a different location. I’m not an expert mechanic enough to know does or does not work so I’ll leave it to the semantics.

I had my DESS replaced during a service visit in May and I've gotten the error 3 times since.
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 10-03-2019 at 12:24 AM.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
    Per Lew's post you two are talking about how the word "replace" is being used. One, Mike's method, involves removing plastic and replacing the unit, PinkRosePetal leaves the unit in place but disconnected and replaces it with a new one in a different location. I’m not an expert mechanic enough to know does or does not work so I’ll leave it to the semantics.

I had my DESS replaced during a service visit in May and I've gotten the error 3 times since.
    did you change the antenna too?
    Last edited by LeftCoast; 10-03-2019 at 12:26 AM.
    2015 rs

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You know I will agree with Mike on this topic. I just did mine recently and with wire ties and disconnecting the plugs (Antenna & ECU) it would be a bear to get that done with the frunk left on.

Removal of the Frunk on my RT was the way I went it made it much easier.

I plan on changing my antenna over the winter.

Spyder Garage

Hey,

Has anyone read my Thread? "KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" post on 8/13/15.

It is 32 pages long, 161,041 views and 792 Replies.

It is about the DESS Errors . The thread has a lot of good advice, since I am the DESS Queen.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoubill View Post
    did you change the antenna too?
    I’d have to go back and look at the repair slip, so I’m not sure.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

So PinkRosePetal, where are the two connections for the dess module??????? Are they accessed from under the bike, or behind the battery, or under the headlights????
    Well writing it down will take longer than actually doing it! But firstly this was a 2014RT and this is how it was but I guess could be different on other years.

I did mine by removing the battery clamp and battery. Took a small mirror to peek up above the battery. I reached in and removed the dess unit by feel, 2 M6 screws, snipped through the cables and removed the unit. It was only afterwards it occurred to me I'd given myself more work than necessary and I didn't actually need to remove the failed unit. Since I wanted the replacement one accessible in case it failed.

The dess unit cables are attached to the frame by a plastic tie but it's difficult to remove that's why I clipped the cable. But, of course, if the old unit is left in place you just have to peek in with a mirror, clip off the cables, bring them down and remove the old connectors and plug in the new ones. The Spyder end cables are plenty long enough to extend down through the battery aperture once disconnected from the old unit on the frame.

I cable tied the replacement unit to the top of the battery clamp. There were no more dess failures on that bike though I carried a spare unit just to prevent ever getting stranded.

Just for info, that replacement dess was a later unit and came from a breakers in the US, $25 Inc postage to the UK. Seemed a worthwhile chance to take and worked out fine.

I now have a later bike but I know that original is still doing fine. I might mention, I don't have big man hands so perhaps it was easier for me!

I reckon your best bet is to remove the battery cover, 2 minutes, get a mirror and a torch and have a look at what you see. If you make sense of it, go ahead, if not, do it the long way.
    Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
    Rule#1: Refer to rule #2.

Spyder Garage

PRP,
    Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTN View Post
    I had my DESS disabled on my 2014 RT. My local dealer had parts ordered to replace the module and antenna. Almost 3 weeks and no parts yet.
    I missed too much riding..loaded bike up went to Nixa,Mo. Everything I wanted done was completed in 3 hours and to perfection. They had to clean up some of the wiring that was added for some extra lights I had my dealer install.
    The trip was worth every gallon of gas. Great service !!!

Thanks

Roger

In 2015 the dealership ordered the parts ( on a Friday) and the following week on Tuesday, the dealership had the parts. The can am dealership is close to the Canada.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

WELL----- I replaced the DESS module today and YES I did remove the trunk. I'd have to be a midget to get to it the way rosie has proposed.( I did give it a look rosie) I do have man hands though. Pulling the frunk of just isn't that hard. Hardest part was getting the intake hose back on. But a little lube helped ease it in, so to speak. Youtube video was a great help.
    An oil / filter change and new tires ( ready to go the the tire shop) and most of the winter maintenance will be done.

Local SKI resort opens Friday but with only one lift.

Lew L

Spyder Garage

WELL----- I replaced the DESS module today and YES I did remove the trunk. I'd have to be a midget to get to it the way rosie has proposed.( I did give it a look rosie) I do have man hands though. Pulling the frunk of just isn't that hard. Hardest part was getting the intake hose back on. But a little lube helped ease it in, so to speak. Youtube video was a great help.
    An oil / filter change and new tires ( ready to go the the tire shop) and most of the winter maintenance will be done.

Local SKI resort opens Friday but with only one lift.

Lew L
    Good for you …… Did you move it to a different location ???? ….. Yep Skiing is still about a month away for this area ….. there was visible snow on the top of the mountains I go to tho ...……… Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Good for you …… Did you move it to a different location ???? ….. Yep Skiing is still about a month away for this area ….. there was visible snow on the top of the mountains I go to tho ...……… Mike
    Mike, I put it back in the stock location. Vibration is an electronic killer. The Rubber mounts isolate the little black box which sits right in front of the motor.

Lew L

Spyder Garage

I have an RT 2014. I had the DESS error and shutdown. The dealer tec did replace it without taking off the trunk. I still had the problem after the new module. I solved the problem by having the DESS disconnected or bypassed. No problems since. I don't know of any dealers that will do that for you. There are after market and suppliers with BUDS that can do it. I am told there are 7 computers talking to each other to make things run properly. I now have only 6 talking to each other. Solved my problem and no problems since.
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjuice View Post
    I have an RT 2014. I had the DESS error and shutdown. The dealer tec did replace it without taking off the trunk. I still had the problem after the new module. I solved the problem by having the DESS disconnected or bypassed. No problems since. I don't know of any dealers that will do that for you. There are after market and suppliers with BUDS that can do it. I am told there are 7 computers talking to each other to make things run properly. I now have only 6 talking to each other. Solved my problem and no problems since.
    Really - it was re-placed and that one failed also ….. I would bet a lot of money that - IT WAS NEVER RE-PLACED - If they re-placed something - it wasn't the DESS module ….. There are sequencing techniques that can be used to get past a Module failure. I know this because I used them when mine failed and wouldn't re-start..... I have No reason to lie to you on this …. however your Dealer can't say the same thing.... glad you got it canceled , I did mine too ….. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It would be really nice if we had a list of everyone that can supply the service of turning off the DESS...I only know of 2 places to get this service done...One in TX and the other in NY...

I watched mine being deactivated...A quick and easy task for those with the advanced BUDS system...

This DESS issue has been ongoing since 2014...And a real PIA for those of us that had it happen multiple times...

So any suggestions on how to compile a list???

Spyder Garage

, mine has already been done ( Thank you Joel in N.Y. ) and I hope any members on this Forum who has the ability to do this will chime in …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike,
    Had reoccurring DESS warning, then last fall it completely shut down under power. Now it turns over but won’t fire. DESS has not reappeared in all my attempts to restart, feel like it might have completely died. Any idea what to expect when the DESS mod goes completely belly up? Changed gas filter and checked fuel flow, thought it might be a fuel problem, but seems ok. Even changed fuel out just in case, didn’t make a difference. DESS message should have shown by now and hasn’t, it was very frequent .

Spyder Garage

DESS is the security system to start. If you had trouble before, your likely to still have the problem without the message. DESS will not allow spyder to even start, without the key code to be correct, or even if communication between key and DESS module is not working cause of the antenna problem
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky2014 View Post
    Mike,
    Had reoccurring DESS warning, then last fall it completely shut down under power. Now it turns over but won’t fire. DESS has not reappeared in all my attempts to restart, feel like it might have completely died. Any idea what to expect when the DESS mod goes completely belly up? Changed gas filter and checked fuel flow, thought it might be a fuel problem, but seems ok. Even changed fuel out just in case, didn’t make a difference. DESS message should have shown by now and hasn’t, it was very frequent .
    The WHY the DESS message is not showing is a mystery to me also. ... What I do know is .... the computer cannot fix itself ..... The DESS module USUALLY doesn't stop working entirely the first time it appears ( but it can ). .... When mine failed at Spyderfest 2015 I was leading a ride and about 125 mi. from Springfield.... I was not very familiar with this issue but got REALLY lucky, Two warnings later I was back in Springfield near " PitBull " when it failed again ( #3 ). After a phone call, I got it re-started and to the Dealer... BRP Techs can armed with quite a number of Modules and I got one of them ..... Mike ..... I have read EVERY thread that had anything to do with the DESS issue ..... What I learned is BRP -CHANGED the module in 2014 and that's when it became an issue .... were there more than one vendor supplying them ??? .... it continued into 2015 .... then slowed down in 2016 ...... not many in 17,18 and I don't remember it being an issue beyond then ..... It's easy to re-place - ( about #140.00 ) once you get the Frunk off .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-07-2022 at 07:15 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky2014 View Post
    Mike,
    Had reoccurring DESS warning, then last fall it completely shut down under power. Now it turns over but won’t fire.
    If it cranks, it is not a DESS problem.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I did one last month. 6 bolts, loosen the air intake snorkel clamp. Lift off the frame hanger, set on a dolly or something. Pull forward a few inches. Unplug, R/R DESS. A finger full of goop or lanolin on the snorkel boot, slips right on! Bolt up!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system